IGNORED

Best Video Game Cover Art?

Makar

Some of my favourites have already been posted, namely SFC Final Fantasy 6, Double Dragon 2, and Famicom Guardic Legend.

I absolutely love the artwork on the SNES Prince of Persia, but it's only framed correctly on the Japanese release, which looks gorgeous.

9597-prince-of-persia-jap@640x640min.jpg

Hagane looks so good I wish I could afford owning the box too:

63009-hagane-jap@640x640min.jpg

Probotector 2 looks amazing too, makes me willing to forgive the "censorship" they did on Super Contra.

5245-probotector-ii-return-of-the-evil-f

The Ico box art of course is a classic:

2897-ico-eu@640x640min.jpg

The Japanese are pretty amazing at making new covers even for western titles, too. I gues Prince of Persia almost fits into that category also.

77516-shadowrun-1993-jap@640x640min.jpg

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sumez said:

Some of my favourites have already been posted, namely SFC Final Fantasy 6, Double Dragon 2, and Famicom Guardic Legend.

I absolutely love the artwork on the SNES Prince of Persia, but it's only framed correctly on the Japanese release, which looks gorgeous.

9597-prince-of-persia-jap@640x640min.jpg

Hagane looks so good I wish I could afford owning the box too:

63009-hagane-jap@640x640min.jpg

Probotector 2 looks amazing too, makes me willing to forgive the "censorship" they did on Super Contra.

5245-probotector-ii-return-of-the-evil-f

The Ico box art of course is a classic:

2897-ico-eu@640x640min.jpg

The Japanese are pretty amazing at making new covers even for western titles, too. I gues Prince of Persia almost fits into that category also.

77516-shadowrun-1993-jap@640x640min.jpg

Totally forgot about Hagane. Now that is a work of art.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 8:53 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

I wasn't alive during the heyday of the 8 and 16-bit eras, so I can't fully vouch for the accuracy of this statement, but from what I know, cover art was actually pretty important to a game's success back in the day. A lot of the time, all a kid had to go off of for what games to rent or buy were the cover art, and the blurb at the back of the box, so it's surprising to me how much bad cover art is out there honestly. It's a good thing we still have examples of good cover art nowadays, since it's far less important now than it was back then.

Speaking of good modern cover art actually, here's another one I forgot to mention:

Actually, we often didn’t even have the blurb on the back of the box. Back then games were often sold in a video game section of big department stores, locked inside of a glass case (kinda like Walmart still does today). 

Your parents would let you look at games while they shopped and then come back and tell you to pick a game. You typically didn’t get to even hold the box until after the cashier rang it up and it was paid for. 

Then you would read the blurb on the back of the box in the car on the way home

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

I definitely checked the back of the boxes back then, but only to look at screenshots. Generally what sold a game to me was a cartoony look, hell if it were based of a fun cartoon license that was only a bonus (somehow I got lucky with those, and never burned by the cash grabs).

The car on the way back home is for perusing the manual 😄 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...