IGNORED

Best Video Game Cover Art?

Makar

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

What's the worst game with the best cover art?

I'll say paper Mario sticker star. The cover art is good but holy crap is that game awful.

Paper-Mario-Sticker-Star.thumb.jpeg.d70530f189cf5cf5a9957d688791a61c.jpeg

What's the best game with the worst cover art?

My vote goes to mega man 1. Why is he gold? What's up with his face? Why does he have a gun? Why's he in such a weird stance? Nothing makes sense and it looks like it was super rushed and drawn by an amateur. I've always really hated this cover art. 

megamanbox.jpg.b2d6683dc024af44f465da38de10b2d4.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Makar said:

I'll say paper Mario sticker star. The cover art is good but holy crap is that game awful.

Paper-Mario-Sticker-Star.thumb.jpeg.d70530f189cf5cf5a9957d688791a61c.jpeg

My vote goes to mega man 1. Why is he gold? What's up with his face? Why does he have a gun? Why's he in such a weird stance? Nothing makes sense and it looks like it was super rushed and drawn by an amateur. I've always really hated this cover art. 

So true. MM1 art sucks so bad.  What the hell was Capcom thinking?  Their cover art is usually pretty great too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

What's the worst game with the best cover art?

My vote goes to Deadly Towers.

Also, I've always liked the MM1 art.  I know it's wonky, but the colors and it's abstract style mixed with the Capcom grid really draws me in.

Edited by CMR
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, ChickenTendas said:

@ZeldaFreak I do love me some Ocarina but that has to be some of the laziest cover art I've ever seen. It's pretty much just a copy paste from Link to the Past. On the other hand, the artwork on the 3ds remake is gorgeous

HEY! Don't you talk about the OoT cover art that way! It's hardly a copy paste, the shield is completely different, I... want to say that the whole logo is rendered in 3D I believe, and the sword lines up with the Z, which automatically makes it superior to the LttP cover art IMO 😛 It may be very similar to the LttP cover, but OoT using that logo as well is what essentially established that as the Legend of Zelda logo that we all know today, since a consistent logo for the series hadn't really been established yet. I can forgive it for looking similar to the previous game's logo for that reason.

And besides, if you think the Ocarina of Time cover art is a copy-paste, clearly you've never seen the cover art to Link's Awakening 😛

dmg-zl-1.jpg

Actually, speaking of, the cover art for the Link's Awakening remake is pretty good as well.

y0d2xbruc0431.png

2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

What's wrong with RE7? Most people seem to like it quite a bit from what I've heard.

Some people like video games and other people like watching movies where they occasional press buttons. I prefer video games.

Edited by Californication

Events Team · Posted
On 7/17/2020 at 3:43 PM, Makar said:

When it comes to best game with the worst cover art, the JP Castlevania 3 cover art I'd say is up there for me.

jp.900x.jpg

Like, it's not... horrible, it's not Mega Man 1 levels of comically bad. The background art is pretty good, it's just that the characters look... really off.

To balance it out a bit though, the JP cover art for Dracula X is very good IMO. It's got a pretty cool art style.

jp.900x.jpg

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Californication said:

Some people like video games and other people like watching movies where they occasional press buttons. I prefer video games.

I like both quite a bit personally, but to each their own. Never actually played RE7 so I can't comment on it, but I will be soon since I got it not too long ago.

Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

I like both quite a bit personally, but to each their own. Never actually played RE7 so I can't comment on it, but I will be soon since I got it not too long ago.

Playing RE7 feels like when you hand a kid a controller that isn't plugged in so they feel like they are doing something.

I didn't think RE7 was a movie with button presses.  RE6 is the one with the 'most' game play, and I feel that I'm the only person in the world that likes it.   So what do I know?

It broke my heart that when I found out RE7 was going to be in first person.  But then it plays on PSVR, and is by far my favorite game for the VR.  Since RE8 is also first person I'm hoping it will be for the VR too.

8 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

When it comes to best game with the worst cover art, the JP Castlevania 3 cover art I'd say is up there for me.

jp.900x.jpg

Like, it's not... horrible, it's not Mega Man 1 levels of comically bad. The background art is pretty good, it's just that the characters look... really off.

To balance it out a bit though, the JP cover art for Dracula X is very good IMO. It's got a pretty cool art style.

jp.900x.jpg

Man that Castlevania 3 art is pretty bad. It looks like it should be a cheesy movie poster. And yea, the Dracula x one looks nice.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

I wasn't alive during the heyday of the 8 and 16-bit eras, so I can't fully vouch for the accuracy of this statement, but from what I know, cover art was actually pretty important to a game's success back in the day. A lot of the time, all a kid had to go off of for what games to rent or buy were the cover art, and the blurb at the back of the box, so it's surprising to me how much bad cover art is out there honestly. It's a good thing we still have examples of good cover art nowadays, since it's far less important now than it was back then.

Speaking of good modern cover art actually, here's another one I forgot to mention:

bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night-cover.c

• Like 1