IGNORED

Survival Horror...Discuss!

Resident Evil 1 was the first game I had to turn off and take a break from being scared. Granted, it was 1996, I was 13 and playing the game at 2am during a thunderstorm. But hey, I think it helped solidify my love for the genre.

I will also say that on the later levels of the original Diablo, the babies crying in the distance creeped me out pretty bad. I played those levels with the sound off.

6 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

Resident Evil 1 was the first game I had to turn off and take a break from being scared. Granted, it was 1996, I was 13 and playing the game at 2am during a thunderstorm. But hey, I think it helped solidify my love for the genre.

yes, dude, yes! I remember playing it after my family had gone to bed, so the house was dark and it was late and quiet. I would have been 15. And yet, that game creeped me out because I had never played anything like it.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
13 hours ago, Doctornick said:

I came in here just to mention Illbleed.  It's definitely weird and isn't what I'd call a true survival horror game, but as a die hard fan of that genre I'd recommend it to anybody that likes survival horror.  Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am so psyched someone else mentioned Illbleed lol.

Its been on my backlog for ages. I need to check it out at some point. I just remember it looked really weird, not so much scary. The monster designs were dope too

34 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Its been on my backlog for ages. I need to check it out at some point. I just remember it looked really weird, not so much scary. The monster designs were dope too

Yeah it's almost like comedy-horror if that makes sense.  I will warn you the controls are awful until you get used to them.

24 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Yeah it's almost like comedy-horror if that makes sense.  I will warn you the controls are awful until you get used to them.

I felt like they were awful even after you get used to them, haha. But it's a neat game concept. Also recommend its psuedo-sister-game Blue Stinger if you like Illbleed.

Illbleed is the best, it's bonkers in the best possible way.  It's definitely janky, but I also found that the controls were something you could learn and mostly get used to.  I wouldn't blame anyone for finding them (and the combat) to be too off putting though, but i really would recommend giving it some time.

If memory serves, Happy Video Game Nerd on youtube (Stop Skeletons From Fighting as his channel is now known as) had a great video on why Illbleed is just lovely.  If you appreciate dumb stuff, you should find alot to love in Illbleed.  It's legitimately one of my favourite games!

Edited by LinkLoZ
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I felt like they were awful even after you get used to them, haha. But it's a neat game concept. Also recommend its psuedo-sister-game Blue Stinger if you like Illbleed.

Blue Stinger is another great one!  Thankfully that's a lot cheaper than Illbleed too, I just looked it up on feebay.  Glad I grabbed it for like $10 many years ago.

Graphics Team · Posted
9 hours ago, noiseredux said:

8 hours ago, Doctornick said:

Blue Stinger is another great one!  Thankfully that's a lot cheaper than Illbleed too, I just looked it up on feebay.  Glad I grabbed it for like $10 many years ago.

I didn't know they were related, I have blue stinger too. Were they made by the same studio?

11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Not huge on the category, but always liked house of the dead games at the arcades. When I had a working wii, I had a light gun and played one of them on there. It was pretty true to the arcade experience

Yes! HOTD games are great.

10 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I didn't know they were related, I have blue stinger too. Were they made by the same studio?

They were, yes. And there are things in both games that sort of reference each other

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/blue-stinger/

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/illbleed/

• Thanks 1

So I played and beat RE Zero because it was on sale for $5

Game oozed atmosphere, and the opening sequence on the train was fantastic.  Then it switches over to the "training facility" which is just another mansion like the first game, but still had some good puzzles, maybe the most puzzly of the RE games.  After that started getting lazy in the second half, switching to a boring factory/sewer setting.  It also lacked new and memorable enemies other than the leechman.  Swapping characters and using them for puzzles was kind of cool, but wasted a lot of time trying to swap items and positions of the characters all the time.  Also the dang item boxes are gone and you can drop items anywhere now, hooray, but this is such a monkey's paw.  At least before the items in the box warped around the game with you, but now if you dropped a key item or weapon on the floor at the start of the game you have to hoof it all the way back to get it.  I don't regret playing it, but it was kind of a slog by the end and I was glad to finish it.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 2:14 PM, Tekdrudge said:

Not entirely Survival Horror, but definitely inspired by games like RE, is Onimusha: Warlords! This game is seriously under appreciated and rarely talked about. Highly recommended.

never got around to checking it out, I know it started out as kind of spin off of RE before turning into its own thing.  Is the HD remake any good?

On 7/20/2020 at 12:39 AM, fox said:

never got around to checking it out, I know it started out as kind of spin off of RE before turning into its own thing.  Is the HD remake any good?

I haven't checked out the HD remaster yet. Best Buy has it on sale for $15 for PS4 and $13 for Xbox today. Not a bad price.

• Thanks 1