Jump to content
IGNORED

Survival Horror...Discuss!


Recommended Posts

Administrator · Posted

Yep, love me some survival horror. Picking a favorite is tough, but I'm a sucker for the creepy weirdness in a few games (e.g. Rule of Rose). Siren on PS2 gets a huge shout out from me for the face tech, really great for the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I don't know that I really like much survival horror.  RE series is just ok for me. Doom?  Although I feel that's straight horror and really more just a FPS.  I guess I'd have to put in for Deadspace 2 as my favorites. 

Yeah, I know a few people that don't like the genre. My wife for instance can't play it because it scares her too much. Though she does like to watch me play. I like to watch Scott Johnson play the genre though, because he hates it and gets super scared. He does it if his fans request it though.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Silent Hill is my favourite survival horror series. Probably won’t be seeing anymore games in the series with the way Konami is these days unfortunately.

I also love the fatal frame series. I’m hoping they release the Wii U game on the Switch. They’ve re released nearly every other good game on that system so hopefully it gets a release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

Yeah, I know a few people that don't like the genre. My wife for instance can't play it because it scares her too much. Though she does like to watch me play. I like to watch Scott Johnson play the genre though, because he hates it and gets super scared. He does it if his fans request it though.

Hey, I'm not scared!  Lol.  I love a good atmosphere that really puts me on edge.

I think it mostly boils down to resource rationing.  I hate being stuck because I used my only med kit an hour ago or I only have 10 rounds for a handgun and bullets are scarce.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, Tekdrudge said:

Does anyone remember a PS1 survival horror game called Overblood? One of the worst weekend rentals I ever had. I couldn't figure out how to jump over this hole in the ground. I feel I should look up a walk thru after 25 years for closure.

Imagine if Luke Skywalker got that busted up over R2D2 jeez

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want to say I like survival horror, but the only games I've ever truly played through were RE1, RE2 and REmake2.  I've started a few other RE games along with a few Silent Hill games, and a hand full of other survival horror games, but I've never been able to get into them.  I've never hated any of the other games, but I think part of the problem is that they are not good for picking up and playing for 30 minutes and calling it a day.  They tend to demand more of your time, which I don't really have these days.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a huge fan of the genre myself.  My favorites are Silent Hill, System Shock and Dead Space, as well as more obscure stuff like Amnesia and other Frictional titles and I have all the games, comics, and movies from both, and even other merch like soundtracks and legit clothing.

There are definitely some overlooked gems out there like Illbleed, Carrier, and the like.  Stuff like Alien Isolation is awesome too.    I keep hoping for a better game based on The Thing...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Silent Hill and RE2 a whole bunch. When you get too many guns or the controls are too good the genre loses something. Jankiness? I think I like just running against walls and checking all the locked doors while creepy music plays honestly.

Like is Resident Evil 4 "survival" horror? I remember it being more of a very thematic third person shooter. RE5 I don't remember being even close to survival horror.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Like is Resident Evil 4 "survival" horror? I remember it being more of a very thematic third person shooter. RE5 I don't remember being even close to survival horror.

I think most would agree that RE 1-3 is definitely survival horror and RE 5-6 is action.  However RE4 is the oddity that people could argue either way.  My stance is that it's some type of hybrid between the two.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I think most would agree that RE 1-3 is definitely survival horror and RE 5-6 is action.  However RE4 is the oddity that people could argue either way.  My stance is that it's some type of hybrid between the two.  

I have only played 1, 2, and 4, but from my perspective Re4 is definitely borderline (due to less-limited resourced) but is still "survival horror", as reinforced by the first scene where a revving chainsaw shows up.

Re1 done in the Re4 engine would be the perfect balance, IMO. (though the camera angles from Re1 definitely make for a few iconic scenes)

 

Surprised to not see Alone in the Dark mentioned, since that series on the PC is one of the earlier entries to the genre.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

I have only played 1, 2, and 4, but from my perspective Re4 is definitely borderline (due to less-limited resourced) but is still "survival horror", as reinforced by the first scene where a revving chainsaw shows up.

Re1 done in the Re4 engine would be the perfect balance, IMO. (though the camera angles from Re1 definitely make for a few iconic scenes)

 

Surprised to not see Alone in the Dark mentioned, since that series on the PC is one of the earlier entries to the genre.

 

Here's the way I look at it.  Fixed camera angles used to be an important aspect of survival horror because they cause blind spots where monsters could be hiding.  It makes it easier for the developers to incorporate jump scares.  Plus the feeling of not knowing what's around the corner adds to the suspense.  Once you move to a free roaming camera, you lose a lot of what made the fixed camera angle special.  That's why I feel that RE4 begins to move away from survival horror and RE 5&6 drop it entirely.  

This is the reason why I feel that RE7 moving to a first person view is important.  Moving to a first person perspective brings back a lot of the blind spots and monsters hidden behind corners that make survival horror what it is.  While I haven't played RE7 myself, I've seen enough of it to know that it went back to the survival horror roots.

Of course, a lot of my argument went out the window when Capcom remade RE2 in a third person perspective with a free roaming camera.  They figured out how to make it work and that game is definitely survival horror.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Surprised to not see Alone in the Dark mentioned, since that series on the PC is one of the earlier entries to the genre.

 

I've tried to play the 3DO version, but that version doesn't run very well.  That is the type of game where I can tell that if I played it when it was new, I would have loved it.  However, it's a difficult game to get into as a first timer today.  It's unfortunate because I think I definitely missed out on that.  

It's fun to watch YouTube longplays of that game though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if I'm a fan of survival horror as a genre on the whole, but I do absolutely adore the Resident Evil series. Note my avatar. And actually @Tekdrudge, you're avatar is on one of my most often worn t-shirts, haha.

I've certainly dabbled in other games within the genre, and generally I do like things with a macabre theme to them. But RE stands well above for me, as it was my entry into the genre.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

Note my avatar. And actually @Tekdrudge, you're avatar is on one of my most often worn t-shirts, haha.

 

That reminds me.  I used to work in the finance department of a large manufacturing plant.  There used to be a white Hummer H3 with a HUGE Umbrella logo on his back window.  It was a big plant with a lot of employees, so I never figured out who owned it, but I always wanted to figure out who it was.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, noiseredux said:

I've certainly dabbled in other games within the genre, and generally I do like things with a macabre theme to them. But RE stands well above for me, as it was my entry into the genre.

I know Resident Evil did not invent the genre but it really defined it. I think most people that have only played the genre a bit probably played a RE game. And the remakes are bringing it to a whole new generation of gamers. RE2 Remake was my game of the year for 2019.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2020 at 8:23 PM, BortLicensePlate said:

Anybody here play illbleed on the dreamcast? I bought it years ago because I thought it looked cool but never got around to playing it

I came in here just to mention Illbleed.  It's definitely weird and isn't what I'd call a true survival horror game, but as a die hard fan of that genre I'd recommend it to anybody that likes survival horror.  Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am so psyched someone else mentioned Illbleed lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be the buzz kill here.

Love what it is, hate it in practice.  Why?  I've yet to play one where things were just not so obvious in one way or the other so it never gave me the horror feel like I needed to survive.  Pop scares, etc, just did nothing for me.

Resident Evil in theory I like, I do have #2 for N64 just for giggles (and i'll do it randomly with the full health cheat since the tank controls are god awful) to run now and again.  The original Alone in the Dark was fairly fun too, but not scary, though those really early triangles probably wouldn't freak out a 10 year old.

The only game that really ever started to get to me, and it was totally the degrading atmosphere of everything, the original Dead Space.  Something about that one was just never right.  It never dropped or ramped up some dumb music like a cheesy horror flick, nor did it have clearly obvious or not moments where you'd get a mob or pop scares.  It truly just felt fluid, and you start on mostly a ship, to more and more corruption, more hallucination, more really screwed up stuff crawling out of the works and it really made you truly and wholly uneasy walking the halls of that game never knowing if you would maybe get your face chewed off.  That was the only dark game like that which ever made me nervous enough to walk, not run to progress through stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'll be the buzz kill here.

Love what it is, hate it in practice.  Why?  I've yet to play one where things were just not so obvious in one way or the other so it never gave me the horror feel like I needed to survive.  Pop scares, etc, just did nothing for me.

Resident Evil in theory I like, I do have #2 for N64 just for giggles (and i'll do it randomly with the full health cheat since the tank controls are god awful) to run now and again.  The original Alone in the Dark was fairly fun too, but not scary, though those really early triangles probably wouldn't freak out a 10 year old.

The only game that really ever started to get to me, and it was totally the degrading atmosphere of everything, the original Dead Space.  Something about that one was just never right.  It never dropped or ramped up some dumb music like a cheesy horror flick, nor did it have clearly obvious or not moments where you'd get a mob or pop scares.  It truly just felt fluid, and you start on mostly a ship, to more and more corruption, more hallucination, more really screwed up stuff crawling out of the works and it really made you truly and wholly uneasy walking the halls of that game never knowing if you would maybe get your face chewed off.  That was the only dark game like that which ever made me nervous enough to walk, not run to progress through stuff.

Have you tried any of the more simple horror games? Something like Slender, or Wick?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Have you tried any of the more simple horror games? Something like Slender, or Wick?

Wick no, the slender(man) stuff yes.  It was interesting, but it amounted to a kind of predictable pop scare there with him after you.  I mean no I haven't tried every or most of the horror type games out there, but I've watched enough clips and read up when I get the urge now and again, but it for me is a dry well.  Too much nightly news as a kid, desensitized to violence I guess. 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...