IGNORED

PS1 Games - Underrated / Hidden Gems

Tekdrudge

What are some of you all's underrated/hidden gem PS1 games.

I'm a big fan of the "Strike" series. Such as Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike. The controls take a bit to get used to, but they can be fun games.

I also feel the Jett Moto series doesn't get enough love. One of the best racing series on the PS1 in my opinion.

I am a huge fan of Nectaris - based on the old Turbografy Military Madness it offers a lot of often challenging gameplay for a strategy game - the basic mechanics are pretty simple so it is easy to get into for a strategy game.

Echo Night is an slow paced (but interesting) puzzle game set on ghost ship - not really horror as it is sometimes described. The last few minutes changes to a race through the ship event to escape that is very at odds with the rest of the game.

Brigandine is awesome(although I am not sure if it qualifies as hidden) - large scale srpg with lots of room to experiment with different types of armies- and you have 6 different countries to play as so you get a lot of replay value,

Bust a Groove 1 & 2. Rhythm fighting games before the dance off was even popular. Extremely fun and catchy.

Raystorm. One of Working Designs non RPG ports and it's a fantastic vertical shooter with awesome presentation and extras over the arcade port.

Chrono Cross. Many have written it off as "not Chrono Trigger 2" but if you stick with it to the end, it touches on some profound themes and has legitimate top 5 soundtrack in all of gaming.

Capcom Vs SNK Pro. While ppl fawned over Mahvel, the CVS series was kicking ass across arcades and consoles. While paired down in many areas, like all Capcom PS1 fighter ports, the PS1 was the only way to play the Pro version of CVS in the US, and is worth the admission price.

My favorite, Deathtrap Dungeon, love just about everything about the game. It is extremely challenging, enemies are hard to beat, traps are super deadly and are everywhere, there are lots of hidden secrets to find, and the music is awesome. Because of the difficulty, getting good at it takes a while, and it's one of those action games where just can't just rush in, you have to be ever cautions where you step and take care with using your items at the right time and fight enemies smartly. Only thing that I didn't like was the ending, it really sucked bad, and this game had a nice intro, so it didn't make sense why they did what they did for the ending.

PO'ed
I rarely ever hear anyone talk about PO'ed.  It's one of the most quirky first person shooters.  It's a little dated by today's standards and predates modern first person shooter controls, but if you can get around that, it's actually a very fun game.  It originated on the 3DO, but the PS1 version is far superior.

Critical Depth
Critical Depth is another fun game that few people talk about.  If you enjoyed Twisted Metal 1 and 2, but wondered why the series started to suck after that, it's because the people who make TM1&2 had no involvement in the further sequels on the PS1.  They ended making their own underwater vehicular combat game, and it plays very similar to the original 2 Twisted Metals.

Vigilante 8
Speaking of vehicular combat, there are actually a surprising number of games in the genre on the PS1.  Vigilante 8 is better than Twisted Metal in my opinion (I still love TM), but again, you hardly ever hear anyone talk about it.  

2Xtreme
2Xtreme is also a fun game that gets very little credit.  It plays very similar to Road Rash, but with skateboards, bicycles, etc.  You can still punch and kick, but you can also do tricks in the air.  Graphically, it doesn't look great today, but it's still fun.  I mentioned this elsewhere, but this game is significant for me because it was the first brand new game I ever bought with my own money.  

Edited by TDIRunner

8 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Vigilante 8
Speaking of vehicular combat, there are actually a surprising number of games in the genre on the PS1.  Vigilante 8 is better than Twisted Metal in my opinion (I still love TM), but again, you hardly ever hear anyone talk about it.  

YES! Great game. Very underrated car combat game. I like it better than Twisted Metal 1&3, but I think TM2 is the game that solidified the genre. V8 is a close second however.

Just went through my shelves, and off the top of my head, these are the ones that I feel generally don't get the attention they deserve. Hidden gems? Maybe not, but definitely stuff I feel like someone would be bound to miss. The top two are even some of my absolute favourites on the system.

King's Field (not the japanese KF1, but the sequel, released as if it's the first game in the west)
Shadow Tower
Exhumed
SaGa Frontier
Spice World
Martian Gothic
Hellnight
Discworld Noir
Tetris With Card Captor Sakura
Elemental Gearbolt
Gamera 2000
Pu*Li*Ru*La
Umihara Kawase

@Gloves you better get your investors all up in this shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

YES! Great game. Very underrated car combat game. I like it better than Twisted Metal 1&3, but I think TM2 is the game that solidified the genre. V8 is a close second however.

The thing that I really enjoyed about V8 was that nearly everything in the environment could be destroyed, plus the mortar rounds put large craters in the ground that could damage your car.  Back then, environment damage was still pretty new and that type of stuff was really cool to me.  TW2 (the best TW game in my opinion) had a little of that, but not nearly what V8 had.

Of course, TW always had the better story line for each character.  

• Like 1