IGNORED

Super A'Can [sold]

fcgamer

2 minutes ago, RH said:

If I were rolling in dough, I'd totally be your man. So, GLWS.

So, is this also a super famiclone, or is this a system that's entirely a local design to Taiwan? Are the games any good?  How many were "officially" published.

This is a totally original 16-bit machine, which was exclusive to Taiwan. It was released in 1995, iirc, but by then as we know more powerful consoles such as the PS (and soon afterwards, the N64) were available, and people were over 16 bit gaming. This console was a huge flop from what I've heard.

Only twelve games were released for the Super A'can, and one is so rare, most consider 11 to be a "full set" . There were a handful of other titles announced, even some add-on devices, but they never saw the light of day, despite being advertised in local magazines and what not .

Are the games good? There's a fun (but difficult) platforming game based on the Chinese story Journey to the West (it's included in the set above). There was a Sonic the Hedgehog clone, a vs fighter game featuring characters from the Romance of the Three kingdoms series, a Chinese RPG, etc. 

Some of the games are pretty fun, but the problem is that with such a limited library, paired with the machine having been a flop (and thus being truly rare, having a cult following, and therefore the price of admission being expensive) , do I personally think the Super A'can is "worth it"? For most, I'd honestly reckon probably not, though it is a fun little machine and something that has its own unique place in history.

On another note, I honestly think there's more of these things floating around abroad than in Taiwan itself, as abroad is where the largest following has been for this machine, ironically enough.

Thanks for the kind words @RH , and for the interest. It's always fun chatting about this stuff 🙂 I definitely think it's a lot of money, but it's sort of like the N64DD, only likely rarer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Against my better judgement I bought this lot myself, since no one else was interested. I'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks. 🙂

Because I only need three of the games from the set  (the three I need aren't pictured here), the rest of these will come up for sale again at some point, as individual listings.

thanks everyone.

13 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Against my better judgement I bought this lot myself, since no one else was interested. I'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks. 🙂

Because I only need three of the games from the set  (the three I need aren't pictured here), the rest of these will come up for sale again at some point, as individual listings.

thanks everyone.

I'm so curious to see the other 3 games!

• Like 1