IGNORED

Why do most people put price tags on the top right corner?

Our eye is drawn to the right. And we see the top first. Maybe because of the way we read. So we see title first (is this a thing I want?) and then the price (is the cost acceptable?)

See the section on Z Pattern:
https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/visual-hierarchy-organizing-content-to-follow-natural-eye-movement-patterns

• Like 1

I suspect it has to do  with long establshed convention in commercial systems.  For anything that has a clear bottom (cds, records, video games etc. ) you would want the price tags on the top where they will be visible.  I suspect the right hand corner is the favored choice since most people are right handed and will focus their vision where their hand is flipping things in racks - so they will more easily see the prices (Also this will enable customers to more rapidly move through a bunch of whatever - and the more you see the more likely something will sell.

People tend to be creatures of habit and will repeat the way things have been done in the past if there is no clear advantage to changing things.

Here’s my stab at it.

Since most people are saying “retail conditioning” and mentioning that’s where stamps go I’m gonna have to say it goes further back than that since stamps didn’t always have a predefined spot.

I think most people are left handed, and boxes are read from top to bottom.

So given those two variables, when doing a mind numbing task like applying stickers in bulk, the top right is the easiest mentally.

No someone explain why the hell gamestop puts stickers onto the paper under the plastic case

28 minutes ago, austin532 said:

Are they still doing that? I thought they stopped? That was my main reason for no longer buying games there.

I wouldn’t know since I Haven’t walked into GameStop since the PS4 launched (maybe once or twice but you get the picture)

I exclusively buy new games on amazon, Best Buy, and target nowadays.

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

I think most people are left handed, and boxes are read from top to bottom

No someone explain why the hell gamestop puts stickers onto the paper under the plastic case

Did you mean to sat that more people are right handed?

Maybe so they don't have to clean tags off every time they sell something?

31 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Did you mean to sat that more people are right handed?

Maybe so they don't have to clean tags off every time they sell something?

Yeah, I'm totally on a roll with my posts today :P

Just anything I post today is crap.

My theory is out the window. lol.

9 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Yeah, I'm totally on a roll with my posts today 😛

Just anything I post today is crap.

My theory is out the window. lol.

I actually believe that your theory makes more sense if the person is right handed. I'm right handed, and I've found that using my left hand for a simple task like holding an item while I apply something delicate like a sticker to the item with my right hand, just makes the most sense. And since the right side of the item is closest to my right hand (duh), the top right corner is where I would apply the sticker. I was actually going to take a stab in the dark and say that it is because the majority of the population is right handed, that we have stickers on the top right corner of products. Or maybe I'm completely wrong, who knows!

Graphics Team · Posted
On 7/11/2020 at 11:08 PM, Link said:

Our eye is drawn to the right. And we see the top first. Maybe because of the way we read. So we see title first (is this a thing I want?) and then the price (is the cost acceptable?)

See the section on Z Pattern:
https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/visual-hierarchy-organizing-content-to-follow-natural-eye-movement-patterns

This makes a lot of sense. It seems to be how online retail sites tend to display products, too - picture and title to the top left, and then the price to the top right (more or less).

-CasualCart