IGNORED

One space after a period or two

Reed Rothchild

Spaces  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How many spaces?

well then read the next line! formatted for your pleasure!

ohhhhh hlolololololpukes. got it, the insistence on noncaps der language skilz wetcetra. 

yeah, well, it's a style choice. unlike ONE SPACE WHICH WAS PASSED DOWN FROM THE ALMIGHTY TO MOSES! (check the tablets)

Edited by zi

1 minute ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

My bigger beef is the Oxford comma. I love it! Sometimes, a sentence can be confusing without it. I consider its disappearance heresy!

My department's name doesn't use the Oxford comma, and I got an angry letter onetime from some pedant rando who equated me with ThanosHitler.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, zi said:

yes. i would like to bet. and i'll show you an equal amount of books that say one space. and probably have a more recent publish date. and credentialed author. one. space.

...you realize that I was disputing your claim that it was never two spaces, right (specifically bolded in my quote to point this out)?  Not that it's not the current/modern norm for many people, but your claim that such a standard never existed.  I don't have access to my old textbook while at work, but here you go, a solid source talking about what was standard (for years and years) and what is now moving to be standard.

https://www.instructionalsolutions.com/blog/one-space-vs-two-after-period

Pay up.

9 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Uuuuuuuggghhhhh it hurrrrrrtttsssss.

I feel ya man.  Might seem undemocratic, but I don't think somebody who can't obey the rules of grammar that aren't being disputed by anyone gets to weigh in in any real way on those that are, lol.  He kind of torpedoes your side, as it makes it appear as "whatever each person wants to do is fine...except two spaces" versus true support to the one space argument.  😂

18 minutes ago, TylerBarnes said:

I write one space for the speed gained regardless of anyone telling me that 'uM AcTUalLy, it's tWo'. It's the same debate with coders and tabs vs spaces. Not impeding your ability to read the text. 

Hey, I don't go out of my way to push my two-space opinion on anybody else.  In literally every discussion I've ever had on the subject, it's been the one-space crowd insisting on dropping "kn0w13d93" on me versus the other way around.  In regard to your last point, that is until someone or something (converters, translators, etc.) missing some punctuation.  Then, there's often an issue where people (which I can testify to) have to go back and read something (sometimes a couple of times) to understand what's being said and figure out what happened (oh, missing [period, question mark, etc.]) and be able to proceed.

12 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

There are two types of people. One space users, and those who eat kittens.

Hey, you know what they say, happy wife, happy life, right?  😛

@darkchylde28 FINE! moses didn't say it should be one space. you got me...

https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/OneSpaceorTwo.html

but in this post-typewriter world, no one, including the writing gatekeepers, say it should be two spaces anymore. technically, these nerds (chicago style manualians) started the transition in 93.

but hey, maybe you feel safe in numbers! then move on over to the wikipedia page where millions of editors haven't changed this entry, thus upvoting it into history! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_sentence_spacing

also, the fallacy that the two knocker came from the typewriter is off (https://creativepro.com/double-space-or-not-double-space/) - ugh this guy's a two spacer so forget it. 

Edit: also, i like how it looks. one. space.

Edited by zi

14 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

2 spaces.  Fight me!

(half-hearted) no... you're wrong... I'm mad and ... 

whatever. I guess this isn't the hill to die on. Know that the two spacers are judged and possibly discriminated against which actually could work in your favor. Two space scholarships. Funding provided by the Association for Two Spaces After a Period (501(3)c). 

I'm going to start the next hot fire topic: do you wash your legs in the shower or is letting the soap run down from above clean your legs.

spoiler alert

Spoiler

It's a just as stupid, but equally enraging, topic.

Edited by zi
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, zi said:

(half-hearted) no... you're wrong... I'm mad and ... 

whatever. I guess this isn't the hill to die on. Know that the two spacers are judged and possibly discriminated against which actually could work in your favor. Two space scholarships. Funding provided by the Association for Two Spaces After a Period (501(3)c). 

I'm going to start the next hot fire topic: do you wash your legs in the shower or is letting the soap run down from above clean your legs.

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

One space. The two spaces is from typewriters and monospace fonts. Kerning on modern systems eliminates the need. Anyone who's using two spaces online or in word processors today is only doing so because someone (often much) older than them insisted that it was a rule.

This is the correct answer. Someone please lock the thread now

Editorials Team · Posted

Yes, it used to be two spaces, for reasons. I used to do two as well. Looks like APA is the only one left holding out with 2 spaces; only time stands in the way. Of course, if you google "one space or two" and then just read the headlines, you get a hilarious spread between them. It's a real holy war.