IGNORED

In Memory of my Buddy

TDIRunner

On no 😞  This August 18 it'll be eight years since my dearly departed Tweetie passed away (2005-2012) 😞  My wife was really into this song (and the whole Luke and Laura story line of the day; the song was a tribute to then college student Laura Carter who was killed by a stray bullet) and if you just change Laura to Tweetie and "that kind of girl" to "that kind of cat" it fits perfectly 😞   In your case it'd be Marley and he and "that kind of dog" of course.

Here's a more dog themed tribute; in any event, remember Marley will be waiting for you at the end of the Rainbow Bridge! 🙂

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Thanks everyone.  I've known for some time now that we were near the end and I prepared myself as much as I could, but of course it's very different when the time actually comes.  

At least you did get the chance to say goodbye properly and your best friend lived a very long happy life (I mean 15 years is pretty darn good for a dog that size).  Don't forget what I said about the Rainbow Bridge (not to be confused with the Rainbow Warrior of course).

• Thanks 1

Couple of other very important things; give yourself time to properly grieve/mourn/etc before you get a new dog (I'm presuming you're a dog person right?)...be sure your dearly departed gets a proper burial or cremation (my dearly departed Tweetie's ashes are inside a little memorial kind of deal; my wife wants much the same when it's her time to go), and most important of all, don't don't DON'T go out of your way to get another dog "just like Marley".  There can only be one Marley.  Let his successor create his/her own identity and memories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Estil said:

Couple of other very important things; give yourself time to properly grieve/mourn/etc before you get a new dog (I'm presuming you're a dog person right?)...be sure your dearly departed gets a proper burial or cremation (my dearly departed Tweetie's ashes are inside a little memorial kind of deal; my wife wants much the same when it's her time to go), and most important of all, don't don't DON'T go out of your way to get another dog "just like Marley".  There can only be one Marley.  Let his successor create his/her own identity and memories.

My wife and I each had our own dogs before we met and got married.  Up until yesterday we still had both of those dogs, and while both dogs are part of the family, we've always considered one dog to be "hers" and one dog to be "mine."  Marley was "my" dog, and since my kids are too young to fully understand it's definitely impacted me more than anyone else.  We still have my wife's dog who is about 15 or 16.  She is healthier, but we also know she is getting close to the end.  We have no plans to get another dog until sometime after she is gone and then we will figure it out as we go.  I'm more likely to wait and take time to get another dog, but my wife is more likely to want to move on quicker, so it's hard to saw what we will do.

I did decide to keep my dog's ashes so I will get those back in a few weeks.  I haven't decided what kind of memorial I will do yet.  Still thinking on that.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I got a kitten when I was 16 and he lived to be 22 years old. He was with me through my entire adult life. I completely understand the my pet and your pet dynamic. He was the constant through much of my life. Sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Sorry to hear this. Losing a dog can be like losing your best friend. Hang in there.

It IS losing your best friend 😞  And that goes for kitties too of course.  My dearly departed Tweetie almost eight years ago passed away from a flea infestation...we didn't know what was going on at first (she was only in our apartment, who would've expected fleas to just show up?) and despite our best efforts (giving her baths, using some sort of flea medication I had to walk half across town for) the fleas just took too much blood away from her 😭 To this day I sometimes wonder if I had just gotten her to the vet, even the day before, could she have been saved? 😭  She did later appear in a dream to kinda let me know that everything was okay and she knew I did my best with what I knew of at the time and of course she'd be waiting for me in the afterlife.  Needless to say I make very sure my current cat Jamiee gets his Advantage every month.

Like the song says, she was indeed taken away so young (seven human years and change; about half the typical indoor only cat life span). 😭

• Sad 1

Just now, Estil said:

It IS losing your best friend 😞  And that goes for kitties too of course.  My dearly departed Tweetie almost eight years ago passed away from a flea infestation...we didn't know what was going on at first (she was only in our apartment, who would've expected fleas to just show up?) and despite our best efforts (giving her baths, using some sort of flea medication I had to walk half across town for) the fleas just took too much blood away from her 😭 To this day I sometimes wonder if I had just gotten her to the vet, even the day before, could she have been saved? 😭  She did later appear in a dream to kinda let me know that everything was okay and she knew I did my best with what I knew of at the time and of course she'd be waiting for me in the afterlife.  Needless to say I make very sure my current cat Jamiee gets his Advantage every month.

Like the song says, she was indeed taken away so young (seven human years and change; about half the typical indoor only cat life span). 😭

I lost my human best friend and my dog that I had for 13 years close together and losing my dog that was there 24/7 was the more difficult of the two and both were unexpected.