IGNORED

Game Debate #5: Fortnite

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

71 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested
    • Never played it, never will

2/10 for me.

I find the battle royale genre interesting in concept. But I've had trouble really enjoying it personally. I played Fortnite once with my buddy and his two kids online, and it didn't go great. It was a lot of the like the two kids (early teens) yelling at me "pick that up!" "what are you doing?!?!" "no not that gun!" and me just repeating "I've never played this before, I don't know what I'm doing!"

The experience was sort of similar to the one time I dabbled in PUBG and the one time I dabbled in Apex Legends. The games just didn't click with me. I think I can see WHY some people get really into them. I found the experience(s) a bit too stressful, though.

I do think that some of the Fortnite content is INTERESTING (not saying 'good' or 'bad'), such as recently showing movies in-game or having concerts or whatever. It's interesting because the game itself has become such a social experience.

It's also interesting that "Fortnite" has become ubiquitous with "gaming" the way that Minecraft did before it, and the way that Super Mario Bros did long before that.

I don't know. Fortnite isn't for me, but I understand why people are into it I guess.

I gave it a 7.

I tried it on the Switch and I felt the controls weren't that intuitive. I tried it on mobile, for kicks, and that's just a bad idea.  I tried it on PC and that was a much better experience.  Having a 50 player battle royale is fun but in general the whole experience feels uninspired.  If this was a paid game, I'd probably give it a 4 or 5 at best.

But this is a 100% free-to-play game.  I made a post about this late on NA, or early here about how I actually have mad respect for Epic and this game.  It's not about game play though, but it's because anyone can pick up and play this game, not spend a dime (or watch ads) and potentially be as good as the next guy.  When you buy stuff in-game, you're basically just buying skins for your guns and characters.  Epic has made an ecosystem where 100% of their revenue for this game is based off of the unnecessary, superficial purchases of their players.

Again, this isn't the greatest game but in a world where DLC and in-app/game purchases are becoming more and more prevalent, Epic has proven you can create an even playing field for all players and still generate generous revenue.  I "support" them, because they are doing in-game purchases right and that's a lesson MANY game studios could learn.

So, yeah, I'll give them a few extra points to their game score for that.  I'll likely never play the game again but if I ever want to, at least I know the experience will be completely free.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Gave it a 2.  Ask my kids though and they will say it's the best game ever.  Despite them begging, I wasn't going to let them ever play, but then I figured I was depriving them of a childhood  gaming zeitgeist they will remember forever.  I can't stand the business model and I hate that I have to tell my kids 'no' all the time.  "No son, $20 is not a good deal for a skin."  I've bought them Save the World and Battle Passes, which in my opinion should be the only things for sale, after that it seems predatory.

I'll probably never play it. I've played PUBG and some other bandwagon Battle Royales and they're all so similar, some faster, some slower. It's a pretty boring genre walking around doing nothing until you finally get into a firefight and your fate is decided in 5 seconds. I like Quake, this genre is basically the opposite of Quake.

Editorials Team · Posted

I put a couple hours into it.  Pretty fun, and the appeal of the BR format should be readily apparent.  I don't really feel the need to ever play it again, but if I did I'd enjoy it.  Then again, I always seem to have a lower threshold for enjoyment than everyone else.

I also maintain that if this was instead a stripped-down version of itself that existed for N64 or Cube, people in this thread would be gushing over it as a retro classic.