IGNORED

Movie Debate #25: Blade Runner

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • I haven't seen the movie, but I'm interested in watching it
    • No interest in watching it

I seem to change my opinion on this movie every time I watch it, so it's hard for me to say anything definite. When I first saw it as a kid, I hungered for a more elaborate world rather than the sci-fi setting being a mere background to what's essentially a smalltime detective thriller.
The second time I watched it, I really appreciated that aspect, the subtlety of everything, and I loved the hell out of it.

On subsequent watchings I've been unable to rediscover that same excitement, and most recently I felt the movie was strongly held back by focusing so heavily on the relationship between Deckard and Rachael which just doesn't spark at all. It feels more like a desperate and abusive relationship, which clearly wasn't the intention. Supposedly the two actors couldn't stand eachother in real life, and that definitely comes through on the screen.

It's a beautiful movie, there are a few really good scenes, and Rutger Hauer's scenery-chewing performance really helps elevate it. But ultimately I think it comes short of what its reputation and legacy sets up for it. It's a movie I wish I'd liked more than I did.

• Like 1

When I first watched this movie as a teenager I loved it.

Then in my early twenties I read the novel the movie was based off and was blown away how great the novel was but how much was glanced over or left out in the movie.

It’s a solid movie but I think it is very over hyped. It’s basically the FF7 of movies haha.

It may have been in my teens or early 20s when I saw Blade Runner, I can't exactly remember, anyway, it was weird, and bored the hell out of me. Haven't seen the movie again since. Thought about giving it a second chance since many years have passed, but meh, I really don't care enough.

Administrator · Posted

This is one of my favorite movies.  I would rarely give a 10 to these sorts of polls, but for this, I had to select 10.  That doesn't mean "perfection," but the cinematography, music and storytelling in this movie, was just really something, especially back in the day.  

I felt like Rutger Hauer's performance in this movie was amazing, and some of the scenes - "I've....seen things" comes to mind - were just amazing in my opinion, and really evoked emotion and complexity.  I actually thought Hauer (RIP 😞 ) was much 'better' in this movie than Ford.

I loved the environment and world they created, and it's one of those movies where, on subsequent viewings, I'll catch things or think about things I didn't really get before - and I love that.

It's a much more slow-paced, subdued sort of movie, that's not all about action - and I really enjoyed that.

• Like 3

Gave it an 8.  The influence of this movie can't be denied.  Most especially on Japanese anime and games created in the years after it's release.  I first saw this when I was really too young to fully get it, but It was sci-fi and had Han/Indy.  Every time I revisit it I like it even more, and now there is the awesome sequel movie to enjoy. 

What version do you guys prefer?  I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually prefer the theatrical version.  Mainly for the narration voice over, it makes it feel more like an old detective movie.  I know the director hates it and people say the performance was phoned in, and maybe for me it's nostalgia, but I do miss it when watching the other cuts.

Edited by Jicsan
can't speel

1 minute ago, Jicsan said:

What version do you guys prefer?  I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually prefer the theatrical version.  Mainly for the narration voice over, it makes it feel more like a detective movie.  I know the director hates it and people say the performance was phoned in, and maybe for me it's nostalgia, but I do miss it when watching the other cuts.

I don't know that I can say I prefer one version over the other. But, the version I tend to watch the most is "The Director's Cut."

This is a 10/10 solely based on the social commentary within the film. I wrote a paper in philosophy on this movie and this very subject. Then, add in fantastic acting, cinematography, and music on top of that. It’s by no means perfect, but it’s definitely one of my favorite films of all time.

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, spacepup said:

This is one of my favorite movies.  I would rarely give a 10 to these sorts of polls, but for this, I had to select 10.  That doesn't mean "perfection," but the cinematography, music and storytelling in this movie, was just really something, especially back in the day.  

10/10 here is (supposed) to just mean it's in your top 10 movies. 

Unless you're gloves and have only seen 30 movies in which case I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Unless you're gloves and have only seen 30 movies in which case I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

Hey now. I've seen plenty of movies, I'm just kinda picky about it. You're not exactly out here posting 70's/80's slasher flicks.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, that's sorta how I took it - not to mean that 10 is perfection.

This movie is definitely in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.  

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

You're right, he's referring to one of the most important and influential sci-fi movies of all time.

Yeah but I've seen this one.

Point being, I've seen every Friday, Nightmare, Chucky, Halloween, etc.. I watch plenty of diverse movies! >_>

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, but in the case of the better cuts of Bladerunner, it is also kind of perfect for what it set out to do.