IGNORED

Are you thinking about selling?

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I actually don't treat my Little Samson cart or Sculptor's Cut or any other game different then any of the rest. They're on my shelves in alphabetical order with the rest of them. For insurance purposes? unless I went and got specific collector's insurance for the collection then I don't believe there is a point to do so. Any  home owners insurance company is going to determine what they decide is "fair average"  per game, which for old stuff like this will be diddly shit, unless you maybe had receipts for all the purchases. I'm assuming most don't, I sure as hell don't. Those kind of insurance companies don't care if it's a Little Samson or Top Gun they'll pay you for the average value of a NES game at best.

When I bought my home and was shopping insurance, my insurance agent told me its fair market value and to make sure I documented what I had. Like any other asset. There isnt a price for TVs or cars lost to disaster. They look at fair market value of the TVs or cars you had. Pictures of the games plus gvn collection tracker for up to date pricing covers you to my knowledge

Edit: If you needed receipts for purchases, most big ones, for me at least, were bought on ebay. I would think their customer service people could provide a puchase history for your account 

Edited by NESfiend

Graphics Team · Posted

I guess I'm weird. I enjoy having games and acquiring games, and I enjoy having them complete in box and in nice shape. But I dont go out of my way to pick up much, and I dont care to own much. I have a stash of some games that mean something to me, and a small list of stuff I'd like to grab at some point, but as far as playing goes emulation, fpgas, flash carts and modern displays are fine, in fact I prefer them as the more convenient option. I dont have a huge collection but I don't care much about what my stuff is worth. If I decide to sell it, it's because I dont want it anymore, not because it's worth something. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

BTW, I also keep a list of what I've beat. I have no delusion of beating them all, but its nice to track. If you are doing that, you should get involved in the NES completions thread. A lot of the best contributors have the same goal as you and knock out games for their lists and the thread. 

I actually was heavy into the NES completions threads for years on NA when my good friend the Wizard first started it up.  My issue now, and it really irks me for some reason, is that after Scaryice took over the project, he took out all the unlicensed games!?!  Why?  It's less than a hundred games!  How can you call it "Beat EVERY NES Game in 20XX" if you're not including all the games?  And it's not like we run out of time, as the goal is usually completed with many months to spare!  And the bizarre thing is that he's heavy into famicom stuff, so it's not like he's some sort of American Xenophobe who's just afraid of anything that's not an official NOA license.  I just cannot wrap my head around it.  Anyway, that's my oldtimer rant for the day...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I actually was heavy into the NES completions threads for years on NA when my good friend the Wizard first started it up.  My issue now, and it really irks me for some reason, is that after Scaryice took over the project, he took out all the unlicensed games!?!  Why?  It's less than a hundred games!  How can you call it "Beat EVERY NES Game in 20XX" if you're not including all the games?  And it's not like we run out of time, as the goal is usually completed with many months to spare!  And the bizarre thing is that he's heavy into famicom stuff, so it's not like he's some sort of American Xenophobe who's just afraid of anything that's not an official NOA license.  I just cannot wrap my head around it.  Anyway, that's my oldtimer rant for the day...

Unlicensed games were meant to be collected, not played! Eww!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Unlicensed games were meant to be collected, not played! Eww!

With @Dr. Morbis that they are absolutely part of a "full set." I think the reality is they were axed for collector convenience sake. @scaryice probably just followed suit there. And this year will be the first since 2015 it actually gets completed for the thread and a lot got done by a few people during shutdown. So it may be too much to ask with the level of participation. But its an important part of the history. Im with phleo though also. I love collecting them, but id be lying if I said I played anything other than micro machines and a couple tengen games. 

Edited by NESfiend

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

With @Dr. Morbis that they are absolutely part of a "full set." I think the reality is they were axed for collector convenience sake. @scaryice probably just followed suit there. And this year will be the first since 2015 it actually gets completed for the thread and a lot got done by a few people during shutdown. So it may be too much to ask with the level of participation. But its an important part of the history. Im with phleo though also. I love collecting them, but id be lying if I said I played anything other than micro machines and a couple tengen games. 

I was half joking when I posted it, but in all reality the unlicensed libraries are like mining the sewers for gold...yeah, it can be done, but it's not a pleasant labor.

Just going through the unlicensed libraries that are publicly accepted, I'd say even in the Tengen libraries, only Gauntlet, Klax, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Tetris stand out. I guess if you're into Sports titles, then R.B.I. Baseball is good too.

• Like 1

it took me a little over 20 years to complete my NES, SNES, and N64 cart collections, so no I'm not thinking about selling. however, now that i have my forever home and my forever bookshelves built, I am about to start the task of going through the boxes and boxes of stuff that wont fit on the shelves and selling a lot of it. I bought out video game stores, flea market vendors, and plenty of garage sales over the years just to complete my collection, so I've had tons of trade bait as well as made a lot of console+game bundles to sell to friends and family. I've already made my money back from all of those buyouts, so now i guess the stuff I'm about to sell is going to finally be considered profit. 

i just cant see myself selling Stadium Events, Flintstones Dino Peak, Little Samson, MBR/SR, DK Comp, or Star Fox SW no matter how much people offer me. to me, the value of the collection as a whole is much higher than if i sold off the dozen or so titles that are really propping it up dollar wise. Even if only a few of them are worth playing, it just hits different when someone says "oh you have a full collection? but do you have _____?" and I'm like "yeah but i never play it. come play the good stuff"

Besides, what am i gonna do with all the money? its not like i can go on a vacation right now

• Like 3

On 7/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, NESfiend said:

When I bought my home and was shopping insurance, my insurance agent told me its fair market value and to make sure I documented what I had. Like any other asset. There isnt a price for TVs or cars lost to disaster. They look at fair market value of the TVs or cars you had. Pictures of the games plus gvn collection tracker for up to date pricing covers you to my knowledge

Edit: If you needed receipts for purchases, most big ones, for me at least, were bought on ebay. I would think their customer service people could provide a puchase history for your account 

This is the same my Insurance company told me when I bought my home. Not sure I feel comfortable about it but I have asked since and got the same answer from  a different agent.