IGNORED

Are you thinking about selling?

Alright, I think we can all agree that prices are dumb right now. There’s already plenty of talk here on VGS about this...and here’s another thread for ya!

What I wanna know is—are you guys thinking about selling? Have you already started?

I’m of the opinion that prices will not stay dumb for long. I think things will eventually cool down and maybe I’ll miss the cash-in boat.

Look what some maniac paid for this Star Fox comp cart... 

Now it’s probable that this is an anomalous sale. I doubt I would get the same price if I sold mine. Still though...that’s a big ass number.

I’ll be honest I’m thinking about listing mine...plus a few other heavy hitters.

What about you guys? You gonna sell or stay the course?

C3FCEC15-56A7-4630-BEE2-D5A026184423.jpeg

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Not really.  A few things here and there, but for the most part I want my wall of games.  I'm in my forever house.  I know who I am at this point.

...that being said, money is always a good thing to have.  So I have been selling thousands of dollars in out of print movies that are commanding equally ridiculous premiums right now.  Especially since those can always get a later reprint or reissue.

But if someone walked up and offered me $500 for Guardian Heroes?  Well, we all have our price.

• Like 2

I sold a Starfox Weekend a couple months back and I still have one now.  When asked about it I've quoted $2k for months.  Not surprising price is catching up.

In regards to broader topic at hand, I always sell and buy all along the way so I benefit on both sides.  I wouldn't to sell out of everything at once ever.  You'll have ebbs and flows all along but if you have something desirable,  rare and in nice shape, it'll always perform better than you paid. 

Man, for that price I would have a hard time holding on as well. My medicore Saturn collection had tripled in total value basically overnight. I went from having a few couple hundred dollars worth of games to a couple thousand.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 going for $100?? Are you kidding me. 

Screenshot_20200708-225248.thumb.jpg.44062486efb2ba13eeece5f775233cc6.jpg

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Wow! 1

I always sell some stuff when big waves like this hit.  Anything I won't miss or won't have any trouble if I end up wanting to buy it again later.  This round I've been selling a lot of my common GC games - Zelda's, Mario's, etc.  If I ever feel the need, I can buy them back whenever I want.  Never will there be a time when I go "yup, time to sell EVERYTHING".

Prices for complete stuff is going to keep going up for a long time in my opinion. It's getting hard to find good conditioned games even online now. I've tried to upgrade a few boxes and they just don't come up on eBay anymore. 

I've sold a lot of excess but haven't dove into the main collection yet. I think more and more about selling games I'll never play even if they're collectible. Wouldn't mind putting some money towards a small boat or something. 

Administrator · Posted
Just now, guitarzombie said:

No.  I don't treat my games like stocks.

Same. I've tailored my collection to my tastes, and I get rid of stuff I don't like. I'd hate to sell the games I bought planning to keep forever to try and turn a quick buck, just to never be able to afford them again.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Same. I've tailored my collection to my tastes, and I get rid of stuff I don't like. I'd hate to sell the games I bought planning to keep forever to try and turn a quick buck, just to never be able to afford them again.

I cut out that middle man just by buying stuff I liked.  I think if most people forced themselves to have only a certain amount of room to work with to store stuff, they'd probably do the same thing as I.  With almost unlimited space, things get out of hand.

I'm not a seller, in general, I love buying, owning and playing my games, but I don't really think of them in terms of value most of the time. Of course I have sold games every now and then, but only very rarely.

Looking at the prices now does raise the eyebrow, but it's more in a sense of "oh I COULD get this if I ever chose to sell", rather than any immediate urge to do so. It's always nice to see something you took a risk on purchasing for a high price go up by like 100 bucks in 6 months, even if you don't intend to sell! Looking at YOU Sculptor's Cut, lol! 😉

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Your CIB EVO has a price.  Yours might be higher than it would be for most, but it's there.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I've sold a few things off, but I haven't gone wow and decided to tank some valuable stuff into the stupidity and see no reason to.  Honestly, I've been pretty spotty on ebay only pushing goods for like a 1-2x shot (5 or 10 days) twice since the stupid virus.  I saw what people were doing preying on the stuff and I didn't want any part of it so I kept my pre-virus values and just re-uploaded what didn't sell before and filled in enough spaces to take it up to the usual 50-55 I'll do at one shot with the typical 30% bin minimum.  In that first set of doubles I did, I moved in that space about what I'd do in like about 6mo which was nice.

I've got stuff I could enjoy the money with dumping it and raising rates, but I just don't care to as it's not about speculation to me.  I either want to keep it, or I don't, and the don't being it aged bad to me or I just want nothing more to do with it for whatever reason now and it's that simple.

If I really want to go nuts I could make some serious money on the 70~ G1 Transformers I have, they're all complete parts/accessories wise, many still with manuals and tech cards, and a few complete in box.  Given what they went for before the bug I could only imagine the money I'd pull in now.  Same can be said with some other vintage toys too.

Administrator · Posted
26 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Your CIB EVO has a price.  Yours might be higher than it would be for most, but it's there.

My price would be higher than an equivalent and currently available on the market copy. I'd literally have to be able to go buy an equal or better copy immediately to even consider selling it, and even then I'd be asking an exorbitant amount for it.

• Wow! 1

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Gloves said:

My price would be higher than an equivalent and currently available on the market copy. I'd literally have to be able to go buy an equal or better copy immediately to even consider selling it, and even then I'd be asking an exorbitant amount for it.

$5000?

• Confused 1

I don't sell a lot of anything, but I sure have been buying different things than what the limelight is currently on. I'm usually too lazy to sell even duplicates, but if I had first party Gamecube stuff, I would've got rid of them when I saw a game like Animal Crossing or Super Mario Sunshine selling for $100. That's some Bitcoin-level craziness.

7 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Alright, I think we can all agree that prices are dumb right now. There’s already plenty of talk here on VGS about this...and here’s another thread for ya!

What I wanna know is—are you guys thinking about selling? Have you already started?

I’m of the opinion that prices will not stay dumb for long. I think things will eventually cool down and maybe I’ll miss the cash-in boat.

Look what some maniac paid for this Star Fox comp cart... 

Now it’s probable that this is an anomalous sale. I doubt I would get the same price if I sold mine. Still though...that’s a big ass number.

I’ll be honest I’m thinking about listing mine...plus a few other heavy hitters.

What about you guys? You gonna sell or stay the course?

C3FCEC15-56A7-4630-BEE2-D5A026184423.jpeg

Im ready to buy some of your goodies;)