IGNORED

Retro Pricing Going Up Since Covid?

I don't know about you folks, but where I live the prices of many retro games seem to be going up in value since Covid-19 hit. Also, the retro stores where I live seem to have smaller stock than normal. I wouldn't say they are wiped out, but have about a quarter less than they normally do.

What say you?

Yea it's seen a steep climb since at least April when a lot of people were home and collecting more on unemployment than working, thus having both more money to spend on games and more time to play them. I think prices will fall sooner or later and more and more go back to work. Some of the rarer titles might just stay where they are. But this is retro game collecting where everything is subject to change. That's why I just buy what I want when I want if I find the price acceptable. On the other hand if you're planning on selling anything, now is certainly the time to do it.

14 hours ago, AstralSoul64 said:

Yea it's seen a steep climb since at least April when a lot of people were home and collecting more on unemployment than working, thus having both more money to spend on games and more time to play them. I think prices will fall sooner or later and more and more go back to work. Some of the rarer titles might just stay where they are. But this is retro game collecting where everything is subject to change. That's why I just buy what I want when I want if I find the price acceptable. On the other hand if you're planning on selling anything, now is certainly the time to do it.

I agree with all you said...

To add to that, I was at a few retro game stores in Virginia last week and asked them why they think prices have gone up.. they told me not many people are being in trade-ins because of covid so they have to increase prices 

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

I agree with all you said...

To add to that, I was at a few retro game stores in Virginia last week and asked them why they think prices have gone up.. they told me not many people are being in trade-ins because of covid so they have to increase prices 

That is an interesting thought. I guess more people are buying and not selling.

I sold my NCAA 2014 XBOX 360 CIB copy I found at a thrift store for $3 on Ebay for....................$225 at the end of April. I felt for damn sure that it was peaking at that point. For that title.I have come across multiple local marketplace posts where that game is in a bundle for cheap and come back later and they post in the details "NCAA 2014 Sold" lol

2 hours ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I sold my NCAA 2014 XBOX 360 CIB copy I found at a thrift store for $3 on Ebay for....................$225 at the end of April. I felt for damn sure that it was peaking at that point. For that title.I have come across multiple local marketplace posts where that game is in a bundle for cheap and come back later and they post in the details "NCAA 2014 Sold" lol

well damn I sold that thing for 70 a couple months prior. Found it at goodwill for a dollar. Oh well.

It's like this perfect storm really and sadly.  Speaking entirely US based here though for this, but you have #1 Tax refunds as usual  #2 The payout Stimulus of $1200 an adult and +500 per kid and #3 the bribe through July of +600 tacked onto unemployment over usual rate for your job (which means more people were making dramatically higher money sitting on their ass than working.)  Also keep in mind tax season got delayed until this or next month to file, so some money is still trickling out from slackers too.  Combine those financial headwinds with the choppy waters of sitting on your ass bored being stuck at home and people were buying anything entertaining online which helped drive up the rates on all sorts of stuff.  People who wanted but couldn't afford or have little self control (if not both) went nuts.