IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII - Sealed sample copy... what to do?

Hey there,

I came across a FF7 sample copy - this is the first print (realistic violence variant), 'sample' sticker on the front case, drilled hole on the top left,  still sealed with UPC sticker across the top and in great condition, not shrinkwrapped (I don't think samples were ever shrinkwrapped bc of the hole). This comes from a lot owned by somebody who worked at Playstation during the PS1 days.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7f6721a948abbf61687ce41a7b6042aa.jpg

I feel this could be something very unique. as not many samples were given away, and even fewer were left unopened. I personally have never seen anything like this.

Thoughts on value/ should it be graded (it's not shrinkwrapped)/ how would you deal with it?

Thanks!

Edited by rester

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Heritage sold a Wata 9.0 employee copy back on May 3 for $2400. That one was shrinkwrapped.

That's not an employee copy, it's just a hole punched copy which is much less desirable by collectors. The hole punch was used for store promotional display and the drilled holes were done by the store employees and not the factories. The factory promotional copies were hole punched on the cover at the ERSB logo behind the cello and jewel case. All promotional copies are less desirable because whether it was a drilled hole or hole punch all are generally considered damage to the case itself.

This copy that rester has posted is actually quite interesting, because it has a sticker. I don't know much about these stickers, and whether they are authentic, but it could be something Square employees did back in the day when they handed out promotional gifts. I admit I really don't much about this because I haven't seen any examples of it. Would be interested to hear from any CIB PS1 collectors if they ran into a similar case.

Edited by Amermoe

1 minute ago, Amermoe said:

That's not an employee copy, it's just a hole punched copy which is much less desirable by collectors. The hole punch was used for store promotional display and the drilled holes were done by the store employees and not the factories. The factory promotional copies were hole punched on the cover at the ERSB logo behind the cello and jewel case. All promotional copies are less desirable because whether it was a drilled hole or hole punch all are generally considered damage to the case itself.

This copy that rester has posted is actually quite interesting, because it has a sticker rather than any damage to the case. I don't know much about these stickers, and whether they are authentic, but it could be something Square employees did back in the day when they handed out promotional gifts. I admit I really don't much about this because I haven't seen any examples of it. Would be interested to hear from any CIB PS1 collectors if they ran into a similar case.

The one he posted has a sticker and no shrinkwrap, but both have the drill holes in the upper left corner of the case. Maybe some had the sticker and others had shrinkwrap. He said he got his directly from an employee, so that helps in the event anyone questioned why it has the sample sticker instead of the shrinkwrap.

9 hours ago, rester said:

I don't think samples were ever shrinkwrapped bc of the hole

All sealed promo copies had shrinkwrap. Sometimes, the stores would drill the hole themselves, and re-shrink wrap the case, but the factory made ones, would punch a hole in the cover art, and officially seal the case.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The one he posted has a sticker and no shrinkwrap, but both have the drill holes in the upper left corner of the case. Maybe some had the sticker and others had shrinkwrap. He said he got his directly from an employee, so that helps in the event anyone questioned why it has the sample sticker instead of the shrinkwrap.

All the hole-drilled copies I've seen go right through the cello, suggesting it was done after the fact. it'd be interesting to see a copy where the cello is intact but still has a drill hole. On the other hand, the hole punched sealed copies are done behind the case itself, making it impossible to be done after manufacturing.

All the hole-drilled copies I've seen go right through the cello, suggesting it was done after the fact. it'd be interesting to see a copy where the cello is intact but still has a drill hole. On the other hand, the hole punched sealed copies are done behind the case itself, making it impossible to be done after manufacturing.

The one from Heritage that I posted the link to has the drill hole and the shrinkwrap still on it.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The one from Heritage that I posted the link to has the drill hole and the shrinkwrap still on it.

Right, but what I'm asking is if he cello is intact where the drill hole is. In other words, what is the sequence of drilling; was it drilled, then shrinkwrapped, or was it shrinkwrapped then drilled. My experience has always been the latter, I've never seen a copy where there is no hole in the shrinkwrap despite a hole being in the jewel case - suggesting anyone could've drilled the hole.

Right, but what I'm asking is if he cello is intact where the drill hole is. In other words, what is the sequence of drilling; was it drilled, then shrinkwrapped, or was it shrinkwrapped then drilled. My experience has always been the latter, I've never seen a copy where there is no hole in the shrinkwrap despite a hole being in the jewel case - suggesting anyone could've drilled the hole.

Okay, I get what you're saying now. I guess there's nothing to say who drilled the hole or when without being able to show you got it directly from an employee like the OP.

• Like 1

I agree Bearcat, this case is a bit hard to tell. Here is a few examples of what I was talking about earlier, I figure it would be easier to see it than try to explain it;

1. Drill hole - through cellophane & jewel case, damaging both cello and case:

2. Hole punch - no damage to either cello or case:

drill hole PS1.PNG

hole punch PS1.PNG

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth (I'm speculating here) I think the sequence was 1) hole was punched by Square for promo copies, shrinkwrap still on  2) some employee copies were sent to Sony as samples 3) Sony unwrapped the copy and added the 'sample' sticker.

I'm saying this because I've seen many promo copies with holes but none with the sticker, so I suspect the sticker is a Sony thing, not a Square thing. And Sony could not have added the sticker before the game was shrinkwrapped. So they had to have taken the shrinkwrap off and then add the sticker.

Again, I got this directly from a Sony employee so I know for a fact this was a Sony employee copy.

19 minutes ago, rester said:

For whatever it's worth (I'm speculating here) I think the sequence was 1) hole was punched by Square for promo copies, shrinkwrap still on  2) some employee copies were sent to Sony as samples 3) Sony unwrapped the copy and added the 'sample' sticker.

I'm saying this because I've seen many promo copies with holes but none with the sticker, so I suspect the sticker is a Sony thing, not a Square thing. And Sony could not have added the sticker before the game was shrinkwrapped. So they had to have taken the shrinkwrap off and then add the sticker.

Again, I got this directly from a Sony employee so I know for a fact this was a Sony employee copy.

That makes sense. It would explain the variants.

12 minutes ago, rester said:

so in your opinion, what should I do? grade it? If so, I think VGA doesn't grade games with no shrinkwrap...? Any sense for value range for something like this? I realize it's a bit of a unique case...

Wata would grade it, so I'd send it there. That other promo copy on Heritage went for $2400, but it was shrinkwrapped without the sticker. When you get it graded, you can email them and they'll give you an estimate on it. You could let them sell it, but you lose about 35% of the final value price in fees. You would probably be better off listing it at $2500 or so with the best offer option and see what kind of offers you get.

this is very helpful. thanks!

Do you think Wata would acknowledge the sticker as a unique feature, or would they just say - this is a sample copy with no shrinkwrap?

And where would you sell it? eBay? Or Heritage? I'm v familiar with the former but not with the latter.

8 minutes ago, rester said:

this is very helpful. thanks!

Do you think Wata would acknowledge the sticker as a unique feature, or would they just say - this is a sample copy with no shrinkwrap?

And where would you sell it? eBay? Or Heritage? I'm v familiar with the former but not with the latter.

I'm guessing they would just grade it since that other one didn't have anything noting that it was a promo copy on the label, but since you got it directly from an employee, you can always mention that in your listing so people know where it came from. I'd take my chances with ebay first since it's quicker and the fees are lower. That way you can list it with the best offer option and see if you get an offer that you feel like selling it for.