IGNORED

Is cover art next big thing?

3rdStrongestMole

11 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I dont think its about the art, I think its more what the property is. Spiderman and batman are popular because spiderman and batman. Not because cool art

Yeah, I agree with that. You might get a few collectors looking for anything with comic art, such as the Captain America game or X-men game, just to have them in their collection. The Star Wars and Star Trek games are probably in similar situations. But I don't see it moving those games a whole heck of a lot.

And yeah, the artwork isn't all that special. I mean, I love the Batman NES game, but it's got the most generic art imaginable.

Simpsons is popular too. I also see people buying sealed garbage like Justice League games on PS2. At least collecting licensed trash doesn’t overlap with my interests!

Same thing happens in pinball. When people aren’t familiar with the gameplay they just buy what they recognize. That’s why people buy trash like the Sega South Park pinball 😛

I don't think we can apply every single rule to comic collecting to that of video game collecting. You'll get the pure comic collectors buying things simply on hype and what they recognize as being popular. Game collectors tend to buy things for hype, nostalgia and genuine rarity. Art covers are certainly not determinant of prices looking at the overall trends, but more the franchise popularity.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GPX said:

I don't think we can apply every single rule to comic collecting to that of video game collecting. You'll get the pure comic collectors buying things simply on hype and what they recognize as being popular. Game collectors tend to buy things for hype, nostalgia and genuine rarity. Art covers are certainly not determinant of prices looking at the overall trends, but more the franchise popularity.

Yeah, after thinking about it more I think this is accurate. Still, there's a part of me that wants to pick up games with unique or interesting art and just slab them because they look bad ass.

18 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Yeah, after thinking about it more I think this is accurate. Still, there's a part of me that wants to pick up games with unique or interesting art and just slab them because they look bad ass.

Graded games are basically display pieces, so you can't really go wrong with box art that you enjoy.

• Like 1