IGNORED

Deja Vu It's In A Video Game But It Happened Elsewhere First

PII

I was watching the original Predator movie (1987) the other night and when it got to the point of the Predator's decapitation/de-spine-ification of Billy it occurred to me that this was probably the inspiration for Sub Zero's famed original fatality move.  It happened again in Predator 2 (1990) and then finally in the original Mortal Kombat (1992.)  Then I found this pic. of Sub Zero performing the move on the Predator in the very recent Mortal Kombat X.

Can anyone think of any other examples?

Also, there was this one video game called Star Wars but there was a movie by the same name beforehand.    ;9

Edited by PII

Midway included secret playable characters in more than one of their games.  Not sure if that's the case with Mortal Kombat X or if Predator is a normal character due to the aforementioned connection.  Anyway, here is Scorpion dunking in NBA Jam.

Edited by PII

5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

There's lore within Mortal Kombat and the tournament for the Earth realm. Everyone in the game has an affiliation with that lore, how is Robocop connected to that?

The multiverse.

Or they just made it all up?

No WAIT!

Money! That's it, it's money. 🤑

4 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, there is no lore to it. They just licensed characters they thought would be cool to put in the game. There is a whole list of non-MK created characters in the last few games. Like @OptOut said, money.

Wait, so they just took other random characters and put them in the game? That doesn't make any sense, they spent hears creating this fantastic back story of lore for each character, continuing the story for each new character introduced. And now they just introduce characters that have nothing to do with the story, completely throwing away all that work? I can't believe any company working for profit would do something like that.

Having Predator enter the Mortal Kombat Universe makes a degree of sense, I suppose.  Maybe his Species is upset with Sub-zero for ripping off their trademark move, like - 'you think you can pull heads and spines off/out of bodies and not give us our due cred.?  Think again.'  The presence of Robocop seems pretty overly ridonculous though. lol.

Perhaps it's a sign of the end, and an over-bloated, soon to be corpse of a cash cow just needs to be milked hard with the inclusion of unbridled chaos to ensure every last drop of sweet $M$I$L$K$ is procured before the franchise goes tits up.

Not making a claim, just hypothesizing...  Twenty-one sequels is understandable for something that defined an era, but still kind of a lot..

...Or maybe after so many sequels they are trying to segway into a new era of fighting games featuring a veritable whos' who of licensed pop culture characters duke'n it out.  It could be like Smash Brothers without any boundaries; anyone can show up to the party.  How 'bout a 3-way Battle Royale between Al Jourgensen, Timothy Leary and the Easter Bunny?

CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER!

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The best out of universe inclusion of a character in any fighting game has got to be Link in the GameCube version of Soul Calibre 2.

He had access to tons of his weapons from various previous games, and they even gave him a proper backstory to prevent manbaby temper tantrums! 😄

Anyway, back on topic for the actual thread, basically the WHOLE of GTA Vice city is just scarface.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OptOut said:

The best out of universe inclusion of a character in any fighting game has got to be Link in the GameCube version of Soul Calibre 2.

He had access to tons of his weapons from various previous games, and they even gave him a proper backstory to prevent manbaby temper tantrums! 😄

Anyway, back on topic for the actual thread, basically the WHOLE of GTA Vice city is just scarface.

YES! I agree, I bought the GC version just to use Link. I'm still trying to find a copy of it as I sold my entire collection back in 2005 just to pay my bills after I was laid off. The Xbox version has Spawn, which I think is kinda odd and out of place.

Mortal Kombat has been doing those sorts of cameos for a while. Between MK9, X , 11 and the Injustice games they've had Freddy Kruger, the Ninja Turtles, a Xenomorph... but I mean none of this was shocking given that years earlier they had made Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe. Honestly, I just don't overthink it. I personally can't say I play MK games for "lore." I've been playing the game since the early 90's and can't really tell you what much of the story is about, haha.

Edited by noiseredux
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, noiseredux said:

Mortal Kombat has been doing those sorts of cameos for a while. Between MK9, X , 11 and the Injustice games they've had Freddy Kruger, the Ninja Turtles, a Xenomorph... but I mean none of this was shocking given that years earlier they had made Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe. Honestly, I just don't overthink it. I personally can't say I play MK games for "lore." I've been playing the game since the early 90's and can't really tell you what much of the story is about, haha.

Same here. I like the fighting physics and don't care too much about the lore.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:14 PM, Tekdrudge said:

YES! I agree, I bought the GC version just to use Link. I'm still trying to find a copy of it as I sold my entire collection back in 2005 just to pay my bills after I was laid off. The Xbox version has Spawn, which I think is kinda odd and out of place.

I think maybe McFarlane was making toys or sculptures or something based on SC properties at the time and Spawn was in his twilight, so it might have been a meager attempt to keep him relevant.