Jump to content
IGNORED

Keeping your cool in these heated times!


Tabonga
 Share

Recommended Posts

Member · Posted

It has been pretty hot in Colorado the last few weeks or so.  So keeping cool has been important.

While we have central AC we have a huge ass swamp cooler in the great room with a large overhead fan that exhausts directly to an opposite window.  Which means it works really well so we never use the AC - which saves lots of money and I  like the way it feels better to boot. I usually use the low setting but tonight I have kicked it on up to high (think gale force here) since it has been toasty today.

If you live in a hot area how do you chill out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Just now, Doctornick said:

It's been right around 90 here in Ohio.  Central Air on 69 degrees keeps me happy, and my wife in a light jacket.

ye, 90 in indiana too, 107 in the factory i work in with humidity factored in

sweating just standing there.........usually keep it 72 in my house, sometimes it creeps to 70

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

ye, 90 in indiana too, 107 in the factory i work in with humidity factored in

sweating just standing there.........usually keep it 72 in my house, sometimes it creeps to 70

I would die for sure in that, thankfully hospitals are always cold so even running around like a crazy person at times I don't have to worry about sweating!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, Doctornick said:

I would die for sure in that, thankfully hospitals are always cold so even running around like a crazy person at times I don't have to worry about sweating!

ye, but im sure with all the ppe u all are wearing it makes it a little warmer

we have to wear masks now, so with how humid and hot it is it makes it pretty difficult to breath..........

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jeevan said:

ye, but im sure with all the ppe u all are wearing it makes it a little warmer

we have to wear masks now, so with how humid and hot it is it makes it pretty difficult to breath..........

Honestly you probably wear more than I do, gloves and a mask are all I need 90% of the time.  Occasionally the full suit but that's rare.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Just now, Doctornick said:

Honestly you probably wear more than I do, gloves and a mask are all I need 90% of the time.  Occasionally the full suit but that's rare.

we use nitrile gloves, masks(now), dyneema gloves and bump caps.........we have big ovens in our facility tho cuz we make sticky labels after all.  But they are above us so the heat goes up, but still gets hot as all heck in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

o @Kguillemette i used to cook over a flattop and a flame grill with 2 fryers beside me i know ur pain.  But with ovens running over 400F and being the size of a football field the highest i seen it in the factory was 135F

Edit: and that is someplace nohwere near the ovens 🤣

Edited by Jeevan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jeevan said:

o @Kguillemette i used to cook over a flattop and a flame grill with 2 fryers beside me i know ur pain.  But with ovens running over 400F and being the size of a football field the highest i seen it in the factory was 135F

Oh man that's gross. That's hotter than the hottest kitchen I've ever worked in where it would get up to 130 with a range, a fryer, and a raging 2 foot flat grill, not to mention a poach pot constantly rolling!

 

You win! (Lose?)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use to install HVAC for about 2 years. Our humidity in NJ is terrible. Middle of July at 95* with 80-90% humidity working in an attic of a 100yr old+ house that still has a slate roof is the closest thing to Hell I've ever encountered. I much prefer colder temperatures overall. At the same job in the winter one month the temp was in the teens with high winds making the "feel like" temp something like -10 or -15, cold enough where my torch wouldn't properly vaporize and would just spit liquid fuel. I would take that over the heat any day.

During this time of year in my house we have the AC "set" to 65, set being quoted because I think that is the automatic cutoff for the window units that are built into our wall.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

I grew up in Columbia, SC and as I got older I wanted to move away for one reason, and one reason only.  The heat.  It's the "hottest place on earth".  I've said that for years and even though a lot of people like to say "but what about Death Valley?", well, many people who have lived in or near both places will say that Columbia is the worst.  Many days of +100 degree heat, 100% humidity, not a breeze in sight and stagnant air that just chokes you.  It's nasty and a legit baking, choking type of heat.

Anyway, I now live in North Carolina about an hour south of the mountains.  The benefit to living in Columbia as a kid is that even on "hot" days here (mid-90s to low-100s, 100% humidity) I can still sit on the front porch and enjoy myself.  That's warm, but that's not hot.  Anyone thinking 95 is hot is a light weight. Lol.

The A/C stays around 74 in our house.  Personally, I could take it up to 76 or even 77, but my wife starts sweating above 75 and feels miserable so that's not fun for anyone.  In the winter, we cut it down to 68.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
3 hours ago, RH said:

I grew up in Columbia, SC and as I got older I wanted to move away for one reason, and one reason only.  The heat.  It's the "hottest place on earth".  I've said that for years and even though a lot of people like to say "but what about Death Valley?", well, many people who have lived in or near both places will say that Columbia is the worst.  Many days of +100 degree heat, 100% humidity, not a breeze in sight and stagnant air that just chokes you.  It's nasty and a legit baking, choking type of heat.

But in Death Valley you could eke out a miserable existence mining borax!

9780738595092-us.jpg.aee67d0baf69ec69f183372c3a4a1acf.jpg

Edited by Tabonga
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Gloves said:

I don't live in the hottest area, though there have been multiple heat warnings lately. I live in a basement so I'm personally quite cool. :classic_cool:

Living in your mom's basement doesn't make you cool. Nice try though! 😂

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...