IGNORED

Steam CD key Cipher Game (Free Games)

Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

I think I might understand what you're getting at, but I don't even know how I would begin to go about that if I am understanding correctly... I guess I'll have to go back to just googling random encoding methods until I stumble upon the right one 😛

Good luck!  Take the garbled mess and put it in excel or word or notepad and mess around with them.  There is a certain way they need to be places and the message will be clear!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I'm gonna need a citation on that, the correct answer is a randomly generated Steam key with no rhyme or reason 😛

Once you (hopefully) figure it out there will be about 7 or 8 words and then the CD key as well.  So when it is deciphered correctly it will display the message followed by the CD Key. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, DannyTheDonk said:

Once you (hopefully) figure it out there will be about 7 or 8 words and then the CD key as well.  So when it is deciphered correctly it will display the message followed by the CD Key. 

Yeah I figured that's what you meant, I was just messin' around... sigh I dunno how I'm gonna do this.

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I think transposition cipher is what we need to be looking at if the numbers and letters do not change.  As far as hints I've got nothing so far.  Maybe something will jump out in a little while.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too in my various escapades of looking up a bunch of random encryption methods, but me actually, legitimately trying to decrypt something is like handing a monkey a typewriter.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

I got too many Steam activation attempts because I did get the correct answer, but somebody ⁿᵒᵗ ⁿᵃᵐᶦⁿᵍ ᵃⁿʸ ⁿᵃᵐᵉˢ, ʰᵉʳᵉ accidentally mistyped one of the characters in the key during the encoding process, so when I tried inputting what I thought was the correct key, it was wrong, so then I started panicking thinking there was an extra step I was missing 😆

But yes, through some miracle of god I did actually get the correct answer, so now I'm just waiting for the cooldown on the too many activation attempts thing so I can activate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I got too many Steam activation attempts because I did get the correct answer, but somebody ⁿᵒᵗ ⁿᵃᵐᶦⁿᵍ ᵃⁿʸ ⁿᵃᵐᵉˢ, ʰᵉʳᵉ accidentally mistyped one of the characters in the key during the encoding process, so when I tried inputting what I thought was the correct key, it was wrong, so then I started panicking thinking there was an extra step I was missing 😆

But yes, through some miracle of god I did actually get the correct answer, so now I'm just waiting for the cooldown on the too many activation attempts thing so I can activate it.

Congrats.  I'm curious to hear what others think of that game.  I've been meaning to check it out.

What was the trick to this one?

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Congrats.  I'm curious to hear what others think of that game.  I've been meaning to check it out.

What was the trick to this one?

Now that I just activated the game and claimed the key, I'll let @DannyTheDonk explain the semantics on how it actually works, but I will copy-paste what I PMed to him explaining how I solved it (I got really damn lucky)

"I will admit that I did use one of those automated decrypter things that are online (Since I'm nowhere near smart enough to actually figure something out like this on my own)

What happened was I had looked up a few dozen methods of encryption, and like I said in the thread, transposition cypher seemed like a method it may be encoded in from the ones I looked up, but there were so many damn options I just kept moving on. When Zeppelin mentioned it in the thread though, I thought "Hm... maybe I could go back to that and try out one of those online decrypter things..." so I tried it, and at first I just selected the "Brute Force" option, which essentially just gave me every possible permutation of the code up to a point.

5ec44cff89c9ee093e53fe0d2d1783e0.png

But, as I was looking through all these, with it mostly looking like gibberish, I noticed something in the very first permutation...

b78b3e0a5fd4a8b83b67d524b69bca9a.png

"Hm" I thought, "That looks an awful lot like actual words..." so, I just tried entering "12345" in the permutation option on the site, and viola

b5816ce4b29331d8e3765242865b5493.png

Through some absolute miracle, it was actually the correct answer.

I don't feel great about not actually using my wits to legitimately decrypt it, and using a semi-automated thing instead, but hey, sometimes I just get really lucky man. 😆"

So you were absolutely correct about the method in which the code was encrypted. I just got excruciatingly lucky.

11 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Now that I just activated the game and claimed the key, I'll let @DannyTheDonk explain the semantics on how it actually works, but I will copy-paste what I PMed to him explaining how I solved it (I got really damn lucky)

"I will admit that I did use one of those automated decrypter things that are online (Since I'm nowhere near smart enough to actually figure something out like this on my own)

What happened was I had looked up a few dozen methods of encryption, and like I said in the thread, transposition cypher seemed like a method it may be encoded in from the ones I looked up, but there were so many damn options I just kept moving on. When Zeppelin mentioned it in the thread though, I thought "Hm... maybe I could go back to that and try out one of those online decrypter things..." so I tried it, and at first I just selected the "Brute Force" option, which essentially just gave me every possible permutation of the code up to a point.

5ec44cff89c9ee093e53fe0d2d1783e0.png

But, as I was looking through all these, with it mostly looking like gibberish, I noticed something in the very first permutation...

b78b3e0a5fd4a8b83b67d524b69bca9a.png

"Hm" I thought, "That looks an awful lot like actual words..." so, I just tried entering "12345" in the permutation option on the site, and viola

b5816ce4b29331d8e3765242865b5493.png

Through some absolute miracle, it was actually the correct answer.

I don't feel great about not actually using my wits to legitimately decrypt it, and using a semi-automated thing instead, but hey, sometimes I just get really lucky man. 😆"

So you were absolutely correct about the method in which the code was encrypted. I just got excruciatingly lucky.

Thats awesome.  I tried SNAKE for 5,4,1,3,2 manually and moved on.  Also gave the one where you rotate clockwise to form it a try with no luck.  Good you stuck with the first one.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, zeppelin03 said:

Thats awesome.  I tried SNAKE for 5,4,1,3,2 manually and moved on.  Also gave the one where you rotate clockwise to form it a try with no luck.  Good you stuck with the first one.

It's funny, I actually came across what I now believe to be the transposition cypher under a different name during my searches of various encoding methods, and I did actually try to do it correctly using a big ol' graph

FIG-VIG-Table.jpg

but I quickly realized that I didn't actually know the keyword, so I was getting nowhere fast and gave up. Then it came full circle when you mentioned the same exact encoding method under a different name, I tried again using the website, unaware that I had technically already tried using this method, and it worked 😆

You take the original code and space is out like below (could take some trial and error, or some simple division.. 

GJEMSLDPD

ROSKAL0KL
EBTESOPQi
ATEYFW027
THAiOSHN7

One you get the correct number, you get this below

G J E M S L D P D
R O S K A L 0 K L
E B T E S O P Q I
A T E Y F W 0 2 7
T H A I O S H N 7

Once you get this you can read down the lines and get the words 🙂

For the division aspect of it, you could have guessed that the total words were 5 or 9 or whatever and dividing that number by the total number of characters and got a grid started that way. 

Edited by DannyTheDonk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Also, I beat Hellblade a couple days ago, and I really enjoyed it! Definitely a very good cinematic game 🙂

Awesome!  Glad you got to enjoy it, I got a slew of CD keys here, but I agree that it would be nice if it would have picked up some traction, maybe it will now?  Who knows lol. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, DannyTheDonk said:

Awesome!  Glad you got to enjoy it, I got a slew of CD keys here, but I agree that it would be nice if it would have picked up some traction, maybe it will now?  Who knows lol. 

Yeah, the soundtrack to Hellblade in particular was stellar. Loved the theme for the Surtr boss fight.

Also, you could try mentioning this thread in the VGS Discord. That might catch a few people's attention.

Edited by ZeldaFreak