IGNORED

What are your favorite pick-up-and-play/fast-paced NES games?

Strange

Jaws, Loopz, Marble Madness, Rad Racer, Paperboy 2, Qbert, Pinbot, Burgertime, Popeye, Back To The Future, Double Dragon III, Dino Riki...

BTTF & D.R. can turn into longer plays what with multiple play-throughs and all, but these are the brunt of my pop it in for a quick play on the NES games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PII said:

Jaws, Loopz, Marble Madness, Rad Racer, Paperboy 2, Qbert, Pinbot, Burgertime, Popeye, Back To The Future, Double Dragon III, Dino Riki...

BTTF & D.R. can turn into longer plays what with multiple play-throughs and all, but these are the brunt of my pop it in for a quick play on the NES games.

I thought I was the only one who liked Loopz. ❤️

MM is cool, too. @mbd39 is a monster at it. 🙂

Graphics Team · Posted
16 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Snow bros

What's the difficulty like on Snow Bros (compared to something similar like Bubble Bobble)? I've been considering getting a copy someday, but I'd hate to shell-out for a game that I can't reasonably make any progress in...

-CasualCart

Probably Contra, Kung Fu, or Punch-Out for me.  Just the right amount of pacing in those games.

Slightly longer fun would be Bionic Commando or Ninja Gaiden (gotta watch the cutscenes!).

GunSmoke makes for a quick button mashing workout.

I also find it fun to run through puzzle games like The Adventures of Lolo, especially the first game, which has the easiest levels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

What's the difficulty like on Snow Bros (compared to something similar like Bubble Bobble)? I've been considering getting a copy someday, but I'd hate to shell-out for a game that I can't reasonably make any progress in...

-CasualCart

Easy.  Maybe not something you will breeze thru first try, but there are just enough extra lives that most gamers should be able to see end credits on this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

Yeah, it's not that hard. Challenging enough to be fun, but it's a game you can go through in a few hours even while learning the ins and outs of it

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I've been considering getting a copy someday, but I'd hate to shell-out for a game that I can't reasonably make any progress in...

If you have an arcade setup, consider getting the arcade PCB, it's a lot cheaper than any of the console versions XD
Which is honestly kinda impressive for a Toaplan game - their shooters usually go for crazy prices.

The MegaDrive port is great too, it adds a lot of stuff that wasn't in the arcade game, but it's even more expensive than the NES one, and a lot rarer.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered that M2 announced recently that they would be releasing new ports of every single Toaplan game, so it might be worth holding out for that. Since it's a large library, I'd expect some of them to be sold in bundles, and it makes sense to at least group Snow Bros. 1 and 2 together.

Edited by Sumez

Graphics Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Sumez said:

If you have an arcade setup, consider getting the arcade PCB, it's a lot cheaper than any of the console versions XD
Which is honestly kinda impressive for a Toaplan game - their shooters usually go for crazy prices.

Haha don't tempt me, man! I've always wanted an arcade-supergun setup, but it seems like the majority of PCBs I'm interested in are too hard to come by or too old to be jamma-standard. Maybe someday, though.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 7/7/2020 at 9:47 AM, AstralSoul64 said:

Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo, Mario 1,2,3, Excitebike, Tetris, Dr Mario

Great picks - Little Nemo is an interesting one, though. It takes a lot of patience hunting down those keys, so it never struck me as a pick-up-and-play sort of game. Do you just have a lot of experience with it or something?

-CasualCart

Homebrew Team · Posted

Quick pick up and play:

Castlevania, Felix the Cat, SMB3, Bucky O'Hare, Contra, Mega Man 2, and Duck Tales

Not quick in the sense I will play and beat them each time, but I am satisfied playing them with the available time I have at the moment.  Like someone else said, Castlevania is not "fast" as far as character motion, but it is a short game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

Great picks - Little Nemo is an interesting one, though. It takes a lot of patience hunting down those keys, so it never struck me as a pick-up-and-play sort of game. Do you just have a lot of experience with it or something?

I agree, Little Nemo is a game that takes a surprising amount of patience for what it is.
There's also this whole order of animals through every stage (until the nightmare world) that pretty much leaves no room for deviation, and makes the game feel too restrictive to just "pick up and play" imo. But I guess if you already have the routes memorized, that's not a problem.