IGNORED

What are your favorite pick-up-and-play/fast-paced NES games?

Strange

Member · Posted

Title says it all, but if you want some quick fun on the NES what cartridge are you putting in?

I’m a fan of Bump ‘n’ Jump and Eliminator Boat Duel for this purpose.

Ice Hockey is great too.

Millipede as I’m a big fan of any frantic vertical shooter from the Atari era.

While I wouldn’t call it fast paced, I do enjoy Ice Climber for a short pick-up-and-play session.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Sports games mostly. RBI Baseball, tecmo bowl, ice hockey and the like. If I had it, California Games. I never did get a perfect catch and toss with the flying disk. Maybe a speed run at SMB2, which I can bang out in about 15-20 minutes if I don't die a bunch on 5-2 which I always seem to do...

Maybe this will interest you? It's a sports-RPG, but a very good one at that.
I'm helping with the translation, should be out pretty soon.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30917.0

Edited by ifightdragons

Member · Posted

Bump n' Jump is a great choice. My grandparents had that one and I loved it.

For me, probably SMB3, Galaga, Rad Racer and R. C. Pro Am, Pinball, Yo! Noid and Batman. I've not played Cybernoid in a really long time, but I remember that one being mutually frustrating and fun. I don't think I ever made it to the end of the last stage without a Game Genie as a kid, but for some reason I still loved it. It was just so hard, it was fun.

23 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Maybe this will interest you? It's a sports-RPG, but a very good one at that.
I'm helping with the translation, should be out pretty soon.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30917.0

Actually yes, that would probably be right up my alley! What will the best way to play it be?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Actually yes, that would probably be right up my alley! What will the best way to play it be?

EverDrive or PowerPak. Just patch the original rom, it's super simple. If you've never done it before, I'll be happy to show you. Just 30 seconds and voila 😄
Just gotta wait a little bit 'til it's out!

10 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

EverDrive or PowerPak. Just patch the original rom, it's super simple. If you've never done it before, I'll be happy to show you. Just 30 seconds and voila 😄
Just gotta wait a little bit 'til it's out!

Mama those are expensive! Still would probably be worth getting one to play on an NT.

Member · Posted

A true excellent one, and can be finished entirely even if you're good on hard in around 20-25min -- Super Dodgeball.  A total go to for stress relief thrashing your victims with a dodgeball to death having these little angels flutter off the screen.  Also if you have less time, there's a free for all on a dirt back lot called bean ball mode were it's last one living wins.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Mama those are expensive! Still would probably be worth getting one to play on an NT.

You have an Nt or Nt Mini? If it's an Nt Mini, then you don't need an EverDrive, it can already play ROMs 🙂 Just update the it with the jailbreak firmware and you're golden!

But yeah, a flashcart is definitely a solid investment. I'd say it's worth it, because it negates the need to spend thousands of dollars on games you want to play. And it has the added benefit of actually being able to patch the games with the countless improvement hacks and translations that are out there on sites like romhacking.net

Not to take anything away from collecting. I'll never sell my favorite childhood games. But I haven't looked back after I sold off the majority of my collection and got into the flashcarts.

• Like 1

Member · Posted
42 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

If you want, wait until the Black Friday sales that they do for the Everdrive. I got mine cheap(er) through Amazon that way.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I'm with @Tulpa on this one - for quick-play sessions, I'll fire up a space-shooter. Usually Star Force or Star Soldier.

If I want to play just a bit longer, I'll go for something like Dragon Spirit or Action in New York/ S.C.A.T.

And if I've only got a few minutes, I'll pick something like Alpha Mission or Terra Cresta because I'm bound to get toasted right away.

-CasualCart