IGNORED

FreeDVDBoot and PS2 Collecting

I'm not much of a collector anymore but one of the few consoles I could see buying games for is the PS2.  Recently I saw that someone released FreeDVDBoot.  Essentially it got backups running on unmodified consoles.  I've attached a retroRGB article and you can see a burned disc loading Shadow of the Colossus.  No USB, no freemcboot, no ethernet share.  This seems like software that could be convenient for those who want to check out Rule of Rose for an evening but aren't ready to drop $500 for a CIB copy.

I haven't kept up on the bootleg situation the last few years.  Could this be the entry point for a bunch of cheap repros to start flooding ebay and Ali Express?  Over the next year or two I could picture someone modifying that ESR software referenced in the article to remove the image that comes up on screen before entering the game.  The average person wouldn't know the difference.  Supposedly, with this found it could help similar efforts with the remainder of the Playstation consoles as well.  I've already burnt out on cart collecting due to bootlegs and price and if the disc based stuff gets flooded with junk I will be done completely.  I'm glad we have VGS, because this is the one place I trust to buy retro stuff. 

RetroRGB Article

Edited by zeppelin03

Administrator · Posted

I'm not sure it'd be that much of an issue tbh. I believe that they'd have trouble printing the art on the disc, being the main thing; I imagine it'd be pretty easy to spot a fake. 

Also it should be noted that this uses an exploit found specifically within the dvd read software on the ps2. Not to say it's impossible for it to work the same way on PS3 etc, but obviously ps3 and beyond use Blu Ray players with newer firmware. It's technically possible that nobody ever found and fixed the issue, but that'd also have to be a bit of a coincidence with the change in physical tech. 

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm not sure it'd be that much of an issue tbh. I believe that they'd have trouble printing the art on the disc, being the main thing; I imagine it'd be pretty easy to spot a fake. 

Also it should be noted that this uses an exploit found specifically within the dvd read software on the ps2. Not to say it's impossible for it to work the same way on PS3 etc, but obviously ps3 and beyond use Blu Ray players with newer firmware. It's technically possible that nobody ever found and fixed the issue, but that'd also have to be a bit of a coincidence with the change in physical tech. 

You are right about printing.  Anything I've ever seen done at home looks rough.  Usually to the point I would rather get  my sharpie out.

China seems to love copying everything.  If anyone does it will be them.  It will be fun comparing it to the real thing at the very least.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

You are right about printing.  Anything I've ever seen done at home looks rough.  Usually to the point I would rather get  my sharpie out.

China seems to love copying everything.  If anyone does it will be them.  It will be fun comparing it to the real thing at the very least.

Ah yes, "fun". 😛

• Like 1

Bootleg PS2 games already exist (not sure if they're pressed or burned or what, they all look super bootleg). They'd have to still look like a PS2 game on the bottom, have the right insert, case, and manual, etc. to actually fool collectors. It's 100 times easier to make bootleg Pokemon games and sell them to a million people for $20 who just want to play it and don't even notice, than to try to trick one collector out of $300 for a Rule of Rose.

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

Bootleg PS2 games already exist (not sure if they're pressed or burned or what, they all look super bootleg). They'd have to still look like a PS2 game on the bottom, have the right insert, case, and manual, etc. to actually fool collectors. It's 100 times easier to make bootleg Pokemon games and sell them to a million people for $20 who just want to play it and don't even notice, than to try to trick one collector out of $300 for a Rule of Rose.

Apparently this method of different. It's legit pop in and play, no soft mod or USB stick. Nothing. The exploit is in the first folder that the PS2 reads when it boots a DVD so it loads just like a regular game. Right now, it's not compatible with all PS2 models as it is legit brand new but it will be once other firmwares are explored. 

This and brings about a PS2 Homebrew scene which is frankly pretty exciting to consider. Here's a link to the authority on the pirate community. 

• Like 1

Havent heard much about dreamcast bootlegs being an issue. That's the closest example to ps2. 

There are some high end pce-cd repros that are nearly indistinguishable from legit copies. I would be very wary entering that market. 

Sega CD has had some notable attempts, but ive never seen one in person. Real SCD also have an identifier on the inner ring that's doesnt get duplicated.

1 minute ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Apparently this method of different. It's legit pop in and play, no soft mod or USB stick. Nothing. The exploit is in the first folder that the PS2 reads when it boots a DVD so it loads just like a regular game. Right now, it's not compatible with all PS2 models as it is legit brand new but it will be once other firmwares are explored. 

This and brings about a PS2 Homebrew scene which is frankly pretty exciting to consider. Here's a link to the authority on the pirate community. 

Let me guess, the latest PS2 90000-whatever model isn't supported! I thought I was SO smart for buying a brand new PS2 right before it left retail in the early 2010s to have the latest, most reliable model but it turns out I'm just the biggest homebrew loser. It also doesn't work with FreeMCBoot 😞

But yeah, I agree this is a pretty neat thing outside the whole piracy aspect.

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Let me guess, the latest PS2 90000-whatever model isn't supported! I thought I was SO smart for buying a brand new PS2 right before it left retail in the early 2010s to have the latest, most reliable model but it turns out I'm just the biggest homebrew loser. It also doesn't work with FreeMCBoot 😞

But yeah, I agree this is a pretty neat thing outside the whole piracy aspect.

You mean the end of the line, bargain bucket models they cheap out with budget components and throw on store shelves for grandma's to accidentally buy instead of the newest one? 😄

Other examples of the finest "end of line" models:

61p7mgi0GAL._AC_SY355_.jpg.bd402b2dbd5e687ae3afd86ac8dc2316.jpg

gen-3-pp__91390.1486067899.thumb.jpg.2fe3773e0638a975068c73b50ba9376f.jpg

Nintendo-Wii-Mini-Console-FL__82913.1586897678.thumb.jpg.00f8c97bb430091991e1a58079572a99.jpg

Look at those BEAUTIES! 😛

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I've been meaning to watch that video.  The fact that it natively boots without user intervention is the part that is notable.  I haven't bothered buying discs to see what this is about myself.  It could be a cool tool for homebrew games down the road.  It would be cool to see PS2 get attention like Dreamcast does.

Back in 2001 (I was in high school) I knew a guy that had a crap-ton of bootleg PS2 games. He would rent whatever the new release was and burn a copy of it. He would also sell bootlegs for $10 a pop. He made a killing. In fact the bootlegs funded his spring break ski trip to Colorado. Funny thing is the last time I saw him (2007) he was the manager of a Game Stop.