IGNORED

Pizza (the non-political combination discussion)

Tabonga

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

Jalapeno and cayenne is very common in american cooking(think Tex-Mex or Buffalo wings).Granted, neither chili holds a candle to arbol and Thai chilis, which are the ones more commonly used in southeast Asia.

Yeah, but you can also go to any Thai restaurant and ask for "Thai hot" and get a plate of food that will make you sweat.

In the UK, they discount the "5 star" scale of heat at restaurants by at least 2 stars.

48 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Right. I understand that they have their own unique dialect.  But when you’re learning English as a second language you are going to learn one of the 2 major dialects.  Only near native level language learners are even going to be able to tell a difference between US English and Canadian.

Besides, nobody is going to market their school as teaching you Canadian English.  Come out of there with weird diphthongs and an obsession with Wayne Gretzky.

Diminishing their variety of English to a mere "dialect" is offensive too. American English is comprised of dozens of unique dialects, same with UK English, likely the same with Canadian English, Australian English, etc.

When learning English as a second language you will likely learn one of the major variants, a lot of Taiwanense and Asians study English in Australia, for example, Australian English.

Regarding non native speakers, well you should honestly give them more credit than that, Ive always been able to tell a huge difference in dialects and varieties when speaking to / hearing people in German, Dutch, Chinese, Spanish, etc.

The main part is the bolded part - Canadian English isn't going to "sell" compared to "American" English. That just makes me find the whole thing even more offensive.

I mean if you’re canadian and opening a language school advertising Canadian English I’d think you’ve put yourself at a pretty significant competitive disadvantage.  Just the way it is.  So why wouldn’t you advertise as teaching American English when they are for all intents and purposes nearly indistinguishable.

Ive got a Finnish buddy that really polished his English hanging out with a bunch of Irish.  As such he absolutely integrated Irish English as his main English reference point.  So unusual to hear a Finn tell you about what a good craic he had.

Edited by Hammerfestus

37 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah, but you can also go to any Thai restaurant and ask for "Thai hot" and get a plate of food that will make you sweat.

In the UK, they discount the "5 star" scale of heat at restaurants by at least 2 stars.

True. I remember getting some red curry a while back and got it Thai hot. I mean I love the way it tastes, but I can't pretend I enjoyed the heat.

I can slather jalapenos on everything, especially pickled ones and not be bothered at all, but that's what I grew up eating. Thai chili's are literally 10 times hotter. Simply too hot for me to enjoy. I do need some spice in everything I eat, just not that much!

5 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

Heat is never an excuse for poor flavor. A lot of American companies don't seem to get that. Flaming hot Cheetos taste like cardboard, why would anyone eat them just for (not even that much) spice?

I do favor the jalapeno crunchy cheetos since they are not very strongly flavored.

I like Dominoes ever since like maybe a decade ago when they did that big campaign to re-do their entire creation of quality of the goods into the pizza because it was like ketchup and cardboard before.

I've got three ways I'll play their carry out special since they only charge like a dollar for an additional topping beyond 3.  If I stick to 3 I'll get mushroom and onion.  If I want to make it cost a bit more I build my own supreme which adds like 2 to the price.  And then I saw using their site/app what they put into their BBQ chicken pizza, and it's amusing, but it's not much and it tastes awesome.  They have it on the menu and it costs over $10, but you can build it manually and it costs the same as the carry out special cutting like 40% off the price! (STupid oversight on their part.)  BBQ for the sauce, default cheese stays(mozarella), then you go with red onion, chicken breast, and cheddar cheese.  That's it in case anyone wants to try it on the cheap.

For years all I'd eat as a kid and adult for a long while is cheese, sometimes that still just is enough when a place has some nice sauce and seasonings.

43 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Double cheese double pepperoni sounds fantastic right about now.  We think our infant daughter may have some issues with dairy so my breastfeeding wife has been doing cheeseless pizza.  It’s the saddest thing.

Sounds like grounds for divorce!!! 

12 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Not actually married.  12 years and counting but we are unmarried for tax/student loan purposes.  Also, way more dedication than I have.  Them lil bastards would’ve been dropped off at the fire station by now.

Then you can just sneak out the back Jack!   (Just kidding obviously.)

Linoleum lizards can be amusing though.   Until they grow up. 

My favorite pizza is a local place called Pepis. Regular crust. The tomato sauce has a hint of sweetness that I've never had before in other pizzas that I like. I always get Pepperoni, ground beef, red onion, green olives and "heart attack" bacon with extra cheese put on when the pizza is almost done. Heart attack bacon as I call it are bacon "squares" slightly bigger than a quarter that are extra crispy and give you a bit of a "crunch" when eating it. I always ask for extra cheese to be put on when the pizza is almost done to act as a "web" of sorts to weigh all the toppings down and keep them from falling off 😄

I also enjoy Chicago Style deep dish that I get in another city close buy. It's really heavy and I can usually only eat 2 slices. I've been told the best is made in Chicago which I hope to try one day. I'm supposed to go to Chicago for work when the company traveling ban is lifted.

With all this Dominos chatter, I gotta vouch and suggest their Chicken Bacon BBQ, that's what I would get with their 2 topping specials and select BBQ as the sauce - damn that's some good chain pizza right there.

P.S. - when I was little I thought it was fascinating that they cut their thin pizzas into squares.  Damn, I've loved pizza my whole life - wonder what it's like in Italy 🙂 (I prolly wouldn't like their authentic stuff!)

On 7/6/2020 at 10:51 AM, Boosted52405 said:

With all this Dominos chatter, I gotta vouch and suggest their Chicken Bacon BBQ, that's what I would get with their 2 topping specials and select BBQ as the sauce - damn that's some good chain pizza right there.

P.S. - when I was little I thought it was fascinating that they cut their thin pizzas into squares.  Damn, I've loved pizza my whole life - wonder what it's like in Italy 🙂 (I prolly wouldn't like their authentic stuff!)

I've never had the Chicken Bacon BBQ. I usually go for the Philly Cheese Steak or the Deluxe if I get Dominos. You can't go wrong with either of those.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Hmm, as far as chains go, Market Basket, a local grocery store chain actually makes a very decent pizza. I also like Sal's. Really good, heavy bready crust. I'm not a huge fan of national chain pizza, although I admit I enjoy all of them. If I had to pick between the big 4, probably Papa John's. That garlic dip they give you is addictive!