IGNORED

Pizza (the non-political combination discussion)

Tabonga

From the other thread

On 6/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, fcgamer said:

In this case I can somewhat relate and find it upsetting that the "American " pizza at one of the largest pizza chains in Taiwan (ran by a white French Canadian) has mushrooms on it, as although I like shrooms, that doesn't seem very American to me. 

the "American" pizza is a combination of pepperoni (not peppers, the red, round meat thingies) and mushrooms.

That is the pizza in many cartoons and toys, maybe those are just the easiest to draw, so I don’t think it’s improper to represent over there. 

From the TMNT cartoon opening:

306A25EA-804F-472A-8D9D-967D0AE2B66E.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Link said:

From the other thread

That is the pizza in many cartoons and toys, maybe those are just the easiest to draw, so I don’t think it’s improper to represent over there. 

From the TMNT cartoon opening:

306A25EA-804F-472A-8D9D-967D0AE2B66E.jpeg

Pepperoni, mushrooms, and garlic? Onions?

@Link : The problem is that a French Canadian with alleged Italian ancestry of his grandparents or great grandparents' generation, teamed up with a Taiwanense woman (his wife), are essentially stating "Oh this is the standard American USA pizza", despite the fact that I'd venture a guess that as children, we all ate either pepperoni or cheese, I mean what about Book It, did they offer personal pan pizzas with mushrooms? Genuine question, not trolling, I don't remember.

But since the guy's not from my country, and he is making a statement about my country, in a foreign country, I definitely believe that I have a right to feel provoked on the matter.

On a similar matter, a lot of Canadians will open English schools over here and advertise that they teach "American"(USA) English. I feel this is equally as offensive.

But now, back to pizzas. I made pizzas two nights in a row (one curry, one white), then had pasta tonight, definitely feel more pizza urges coming, though I probably shouldn't make any more this week....grrr.

44 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

On a similar matter, a lot of Canadians will open English schools over here and advertise that they teach "American"(USA) English. I feel this is equally as offensive.

That’s what it is called.  It’s as opposed to British English and has nothing to do with our specific country.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it wasn’t named as such specifically in reference to English as spoken in the Americas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

What's the round orange/yellowish things though? 

I never looked that closely. I figured it was the texture of the cheese and sauce. It does appear to be something here. I don’t know what.

I was just thinking about what an “American” pizza would be, other than crap compared to Italian pizza 😛 , regarding “pepperoni and mushrooms” and it just seems like that’s a common combination (along with green bell peppers sometimes) in cartoons and toys. 

DBAB71D6-5E8F-47EC-AFC6-81F470ED97ED.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Link said:

I never looked that closely. I figured it was the texture of the cheese and sauce. It does appear to be something here. I don’t know what.

I was just thinking about what an “American” pizza would be, other than crap compared to Italian pizza 😛 , regarding “pepperoni and mushrooms” and it just seems like that’s a common combination (along with green bell peppers sometimes) in cartoons and toys. 

DBAB71D6-5E8F-47EC-AFC6-81F470ED97ED.jpeg

There's a chance that the animation studio messed up the colors of certain things, I remember a video (could be an article but not sure) where they would explain that originally in The Simpsons there were some bananas colored brown because the animators in the South Korean animation studio weren't familiar with yellow bananas.

Digging around for some info I found out that the same studio provided animation for TMNT as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKOM

• Like 2

Right. The point is that this pizza has pepperoni and mushrooms. So do many in American pop culture. So I think it is a fine combination to be called “American pizza” in another country.

Maybe it has some other minor topping, maybe not; I don’t care.

19 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I'm curious what your support for this assertion is. Beef bacon is very easily distinguishable from pork, and I never once had it over there. I would guess in predominately Islamic countries it's a thing, so maybe it has some inroads in the more strictly Islamic parts of Indonesia?

Malaysia and Singapore it was pretty common, though the western hotels in Singapore obviously also have American bacon.

It is probably common in all of Indonesia, as well, based on what I saw in Malaysia and Indonesia being more religiously strict with an even higher percentage of Islamic population.

2 hours ago, Link said:

Right. The point is that this pizza has pepperoni and mushrooms. So do many in American pop culture. So I think it is a fine combination to be called “American pizza” in another country.

Maybe it has some other minor topping, maybe not; I don’t care.

My favorite pizza I've had in the UK gets billed as "American Hot".  It is a pepperoni pizza with nearly a full jar of jalapenos.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

My favorite pizza I've had in the UK gets billed as "American Hot".  It is a pepperoni pizza with nearly a full jar of jalapenos.

Lol what sense does that even make? Are Americans known for liking spicy things over there? 

In my experience they're mostly wimps. xD

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Lol what sense does that even make? Are Americans known for liking spicy things over there? 

Compared to European and UK cuisine, the American flavor profile is way spicier, in my experience. (exception being Indian/Thai/etc restaurants, which is still going to be served spicier, on average, in America unless you can convince them that you really do want it authentically spicy)

But "American Hot" is evidently a distinct menu option at least in the southern UK and parts of the Netherlands.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

That’s what it is called.  It’s as opposed to British English and has nothing to do with our specific country.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it wasn’t named as such specifically in reference to English as spoken in the Americas.

Except it's not, Canadian English is its own unique variant of English, same as Australian English, south African English, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English

10 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Compared to European and UK cuisine, the American flavor profile is way spicier, in my experience. (exception being Indian/Thai/etc restaurants, which is still going to be served spicier, on average, in America unless you can convince them that you really do want it authentically spicy)

But "American Hot" is evidently a distinct menu option at least in the southern UK and parts of the Netherlands.

That's for sure. I've had some Thai curry bowls that I swear were hot enough to strip paint.

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Y'all must like your food freakin' BLAND son.

Events Helper · Posted
On 6/30/2020 at 1:25 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

In general, I like the following pizza types:

1. Pepperoni
2. Hamburger
3. Cheese only ("A lovely cheese pizza just for me!")
4. Pepperoni & Green Peppers if I'm feeling feisty 

I can handle some things but I don't like ham, taco pizza, or pineapple. Also was never big on the buffalo chicken pizza.

The best part of pizza is the crust and sauce anyway.

The best pizzas are as follows:

Pizza Joints:
1. Casey's (regional gas station pizza. Best ever IMO)
2. Godfather's Pizza (really good but way too expensive, also was my first ever job when I was 14)
3. Mama's Pizza (another local Omaha joint)

Frozen:
1. Jacks (While I typically like doughy pizza, I love Jacks the most for frozen)
2. Tombstone
3. Red Baron

Also shout out to Giordano's in Chicago but I eat it like only once every couple of years.

Haven't had Casey's even though i grew up going to Iowa and now have a casey's here in my local city.......other than that, mostly on point, but not cheese only, seems like a waste to me.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:07 PM, 42 foot tapeworm said:

try the girodanos that other guy talked about. im a new york pizza guy myself but my wife lived in chicago and loves that girodanos. its like a bread bowl of red sauce and mozzerella cheese.

Giordanos FTW.  

Giordano's Expands From the Strip to Boca Park - Eater Vegas sooooooo, gooooood, we used to drive to chicago every 3 months or so to get this!!!!

I have had both NY and Chicago pizza, both are delicious.  I am not picky tho.  Only thing I have to say is the following:

Pineapple belongs nowhere near pizza!!!!!!   It is for fruity alcoholic drinks, upside down cake and ham!!!!!  That is it!!!!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Jalapeno and cayenne is very common in american cooking(think Tex-Mex or Buffalo wings).Granted, neither chili holds a candle to arbol and Thai chilis, which are the ones more commonly used in southeast Asia.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Jalapeno and cayenne is very common in american cooking(think Tex-Mex or Buffalo wings).Granted, neither chili holds a candle to arbol and Thai chilis, which are the ones more commonly used in southeast Asia.

My wife is a total wimp with spice, which sucks for her cuz she misses out on cajun food. I'm just giving the Americans a hard time. 😜

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

My wife is a total wimp with spice, which sucks for her cuz she misses out on cajun food. I'm just giving the Americans a hard time. 😜

Some fellow Americans I can not understand though. They just eat all this ghost pepper shit that they need to sign waivers for and act like it tastes so good. Yeah, okay bro. There's no way in hell you are actually enjoying this. I once candied a bunch of Habaneros for some co workers as a joke and people were literally in tears with their cheeks swelling trying to chew them and acting like "omg these are the best!"

11 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Except it's not, Canadian English is its own unique variant of English, same as Australian English, south African English, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English

Right. I understand that they have their own unique dialect.  But when you’re learning English as a second language you are going to learn one of the 2 major dialects.  Only near native level language learners are even going to be able to tell a difference between US English and Canadian.

Besides, nobody is going to market their school as teaching you Canadian English.  Come out of there with weird diphthongs and an obsession with Wayne Gretzky.

• Haha 1