IGNORED

Pizza (the non-political combination discussion)

Tabonga

2 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Asia does not do bacon correctly. You'll get a flaccid, circular looking rasher type thing instead of a nice crisp straight slice of American bacon. Living in Asia for 5 years, the only real bacon I could get was either at a legitimate Western type hotel buffet, or a Western-style restaurant that happened to have it on a burger. Even at these venues, it was still unusual.

At least in SE Asia, "bacon" is almost always "beef bacon", which is quite good, but a completely different thing from American bacon.

@Doctornick I don't understand why people have such strong feelings about pineapple on pizza 😂 

You would think it was kitten meat with how some people respond to it, it's just a fruit. It reminds me of the nickelback or Dane cook phenomenon where it just became cool to hate on it. 

I eat any of the following. I am sure there are others i would eat as well. 

-Mushroom
-Pepperoni
-Pineapple/Bacon
-Buff Chicken
-Shrimp Scampi

Edited by Magus
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Then you must agree that deep dish pizza is terrible.

Its probably delicious, but isn't really 'pizza' and more like a casserole or something.  Although I never had pizza IN Chicago so I might think it tastes terrible too.  I only take ubridge with Chi-town thinking they took what NYC did and 'made it better' instead of having their own originality :P.   Also all these crazy toppings that arent pizza like to me should be called 'open faced' sandwiches.  Taco pizza?  You mean a taco on flatbread?  Not pizza.  And personally, I think toppings should only be meat and what could be found in an italian pizzeria. Peppers, onions, meatballs, pasta, etc, all ok to me!

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Black olives kick ass, it ain't pizza without them 😉

On another note, I really really enjoyed the curry pizza I made the other night, definitely recommend everyone here to try it 

I had lemak pizza in Malaysia.  (basically clusters of rice noodles)

They also put anchovies on EVERYTHING, especially pizza.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Its probably delicious, but isn't really 'pizza' and more like a casserole or something. 

I feel like people that actually like Chicago-style pizza probably also enjoy the texture of too-eggy french toast.

Detroit-style, on the other hand, is legitimately pretty good.  (somewhat deep dish, but not TOO deep, and seriously buttered pan gives a crispy/fried exterior crust).

I'm a lover of huge-slice NY Pizza, so I would never PREFER Detroit-style, but if it is what is available, it is better than tolerable.

8 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'm about to offend pizza snobs everywhere by saying that I love going to Cici's, and can't wait until they reopen.

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

For $5.99 you can't beat it.

Friends/married couple from San Antonio introduced me to CiCi’s years ago when CiCi’s first opened in Arizona. I admit I enjoy it.

For me pepperoni mushroom and jalapeño! Yum 

8 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I feel like people that actually like Chicago-style pizza probably also enjoy the texture of too-eggy french toast.

Detroit-style, on the other hand, is legitimately pretty good.  (somewhat deep dish, but not TOO deep, and seriously buttered pan gives a crispy/fried exterior crust).

I'm a lover of huge-slice NY Pizza, so I would never PREFER Detroit-style, but if it is what is available, it is better than tolerable.

I gotcha.  Actually I took a look at some pictures and TBH most of it looked a lot worse than I remembered.  Pizza is a vehicle to eat tomato sauce with cheese using bread as a plate.  Thats it.  What I saw looked like tomato soup cake.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Magus said:

@Doctornick I don't understand why people have such strong feelings about pineapple on pizza 😂 

You would think it was kitten meat with how some people respond to it, it's just a fruit. It reminds me of the nickelback or Dane cook phenomenon where it just became cool to hate on it. 

I eat any of the following. I am sure there are others i would eat as well. 

-Mushroom
-Pepperoni
-Pineapple/Bacon
-Buff Chicken
-Shrimp Scampi

Its sweet! Pizza should be savory 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

At least in SE Asia, "bacon" is almost always "beef bacon", which is quite good, but a completely different thing from American bacon.

I'm curious what your support for this assertion is. Beef bacon is very easily distinguishable from pork, and I never once had it over there. I would guess in predominately Islamic countries it's a thing, so maybe it has some inroads in the more strictly Islamic parts of Indonesia?

7 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Asia does not do bacon correctly. You'll get a flaccid, circular looking rasher type thing instead of a nice crisp straight slice of American bacon. Living in Asia for 5 years, the only real bacon I could get was either at a legitimate Western type hotel buffet, or a Western-style restaurant that happened to have it on a burger. Even at these venues, it was still unusual.

That was actually just  a mild joke at FCgamers* expense since he lives in Taiwan  (and also our fine Canadian friends here).

*-Who also provided the genesis for this fascinating thread.  😉

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Magus said:

Could be worse - Europeans often would not eat tomatos because they were believed to be poisonous since they are related to nightshade. (I have also read that it could be poisonous to wealthy Europeans since they ate off pewter plates (which the rabble could not afford) and that highly acidic tomatoes would bring out the lead from the plates and poison them -  not sure I buy that since lead poisoning tends to be cumulative rather than acute in nature.)

In any event it wasn't until the creation of   pizza that tomatoes were recognized as being safe to eat in Europe.

• Wow! 1

12 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I've bought bacon here before, in regular strips, I used it to wrap around shrimp.

In general my preference is for thin crust, for the ingredients I'd eat just about any common combination out there but I'd lean towards meat lovers pizza, for single ingredient pizza I'd have green olives.

Lately we've been making our own pizza at home, we make one standard pepperoni for our kids and for my wife and myself we've settled for tomato slices, basil, green olives, goat cheese and serrano ham (very similar to prosciutto), 

I think it's just because Asians and Asian cultures don't like their pork bellies(the cut of meat used to make bacon) cold smoked and cured. Pork belly is literally everywhere in Sichuan cuisine that I've read, for example. There probably isn't enough pork belly left over to make bacon out of. 

Then outside of select BBQ regions in America, belly is only consumed in bacon form. Hell, it can be hard just to find raw pork belly!

• Like 1

Fuck deep dish. Gross.

Margherita. With the 90 second, 850 ° crisp crust.

Thin floppy crust that you fold lengthwise to hold it straight. The bigger the better.

Sicilian, the 2 inch thick light and fluffy crust. 

Toppings: plain cheese pizza, or with pepperoni, 4 cheeses, oregano, parmesan, fresh tomato, and/or chicken. (edit to include basil and goat cheese)

15 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I think toppings should only be meat and what could be found in an italian pizzeria. Peppers, onions, meatballs, pasta, etc, all ok to me!

Sounds like a casserole to me 🤷‍♀️😛 

Edited by Link

Editorials Team · Posted

Brazilian pizza all has paper-thin crust, and it seems to routinely have shredded chicken, peas, and/or corn on it. There are rodizio-style pizza places where they bring pizza around and you take a slice of whatever looks good. Those places have dessert pizzas like chocolate/strawberry and banana/cinnamon. Those are delicious. But at that point it's just a pastry or tart or something, they don't have cheese on them or anything. I actually saw a Pizza Hut in a bigger city, and I ate there once to have some thicker crust pizza, and everyone inside was white and speaking English.

Edit: I should clarify that I was in the Brazilian equivalent of the Midwest, so maybe that's why the pizzas were covered in Farm food.

Edited by Splain

so many opinions in this thread. so many of them not good.  I love all kinds of pizza, but here's my preferences:
You can't have a pizza without pepperoni. You just can't. Although i might be biased since i add pepperoni to basically everything (sandwiches, pasta, chili, etc.)

Deep Dish pizza is where it's at.  I love Chicago style, but i wouldn't want to eat it every day or anything. It's like a "special occasion" 'zza. Was in NYC last year and can fully appreciate what they have to offer. that i COULD (and would!) eat every day. But if i'm sitting down for a meal, i'll take Deep Dish every time.

Toppings? all-meat, please. my favorite two-topper is Pepperoni + Grilled Chicken.
re: pineapple. i'm fine with it on pizza. it's not my favorite or anything. 

re: frozen pizzas. I feel like Jack's is the best for the price. It is worth it to spice it up yourself though. I prefer their Bacon Cheeseburger, then I add pepperoni and extra cheese.  YMMV.

23 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'm about to offend pizza snobs everywhere by saying that I love going to Cici's, and can't wait until they reopen.

the CiCi's around here closed probably 10 years ago. i continue to mourn its demise.