IGNORED

Carts with character aka uglies. Show em off!

docile tapeworm

Another cart with character, this one a thrift store find from way back.  It's a homemade 5 game multicart for a TI99, and was apparently made by removing the ROM chips from the original carts, soldering them onto a board with a thumb wheel as a selector, and pasting bits of the original labels onto the resulting Frankencart.  It's one of my favorites.

20191030_134356.thumb.jpg.21483c8cfaa5b2c51dab942a50496cbc.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, nrslam said:

Another cart with character, this one a thrift store find from way back.  It's a homemade 5 game multicart for a TI99, and was apparently made by removing the ROM chips from the original carts, soldering them onto a board with a thumb wheel as a selector, and pasting bits of the original labels onto the resulting Frankencart.  It's one of my favorites.

Wow! That's really cool. That's a lot of work for a small bit of convenience.

13 hours ago, nrslam said:

10 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Wow! That's really cool. That's a lot of work for a small bit of convenience.

That is pretty cool. 

17 hours ago, nrslam said:

Simply a-maze-ing hahahah

I would love to see the internals, can I bug you for a pic? 

This thing is so cool, love the original label bits.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:55 AM, nrslam said:

I wouldn't necessarily call this one ugly, but it's not exactly normal either.  It's someone's homemade Editor/Assembler cart for an Atari 8-bit computer that I got in a lot some years ago.  Surprisingly, it works but is a bit touchy.

a800_0ddities2.thumb.jpg.e1eb461afb96a3e2138ed05b911eb491.jpg

That is sick! That's some oldschool prototyping right there. Looks just like that ZX Spectrum prototype someone unearthed relatively recently. 

35 minutes ago, nrslam said:

Not familiar with these Samurai carts.  What's the story on them?

In the late 80s India had trade restrictions on foreign companies. So Nintendo had to partner with a local company called Samurai to release the NES. Both the console and game carts had Samurai branding on them. Nintendo exited from the Indian market after the NES failed to do well because of high retail price and proliferation of famiclones.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:23 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Wait, are you saying Goose ejected out of a Top Gun cartridge and into this copy of Captain Skyhawk and has been hidden as an unlockable Easter egg that can only be accessed by spelling out Anthony Edwards in Morse code? Because that's quite a claim and I don't believe it.

Yes, that's exactly what happened, thank you for clearing the story up for future generations. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...