IGNORED

Best board, card, and dice games?

Makar

What are the best board games, card games, and dice games, and really anything non video game related?

One of my favorite board games is Catan. I play it all the time with friends and family. Lots of trading in this game for resources, and psychological warfare of pitting players against one another.

Another one I really like is Dice Forge. You get points for different things and get to change your dice as the game goes on. Pretty unique game.

Also really like ticket to ride. You're connecting train routes with different colored cards but get penalized if you can't complete the route. 

Liar's dice is also really fun. You can play with any amount of players. Start with 5 dice each, and bluff your way to victory. 

Sushi go is a good casual card game. Doesn't take too long to play but is fun enough. The later versions are better with lots more strategy. 

Exploding kittens. Fun little card game. Not too much strategy with this one but it is fun. The expansion pack makes this a better game. Or maybe it's imploding kittens. Don't remember tbh but the expansion or imploding is better than the original.

Mao. A card game where the person who is it makes up rules as the game goes on. Pretty fun and different each time you play. 

Egyptian Rat Screw. Fast paced card game based on reflexes and luck. Pretty fun if you're looking for a different kind of game. 

Dutch Blitz. Another fast paced card game. Gotta clear out all your cards the fastest to get the most points. You play on 4 colors and go up to 10. You better pay attention and bring your A game for this one!

So what are your guys' best/favorite non video games?

Edited by Makar

Administrator · Posted

@Makar I bought my wife Sushi Go and we enjoy it, but honestly I almost always win simply because I am much better at math. We only have the base game; are there expansions and do they even the playing field in any way, or would I simply widen the ability gap between us by purchasing them? 

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

@Makar I bought my wife Sushi Go and we enjoy it, but honestly I almost always win simply because I am much better at math. We only have the base game; are there expansions and do they even the playing field in any way, or would I simply widen the ability gap between us by purchasing them? 

Even if you are good at math, there is still some strategy to memorizing the hands being passed around and keeping track of who puts down what out of those hands to plan what combos you want to go for. I find it much more enjoyable with at least 3 people. 

edit-Because the more hands being passed around, the more you have to memorize and plan. With just 2 people you just pass the same 2 hands back and forth. 

The party version is better with many more cards and strategies. BUT there is a lot more math. So if your wife is bad with math, there is just more of it in the new one. 

Monopoly or clue are 2 of my favorites for board games. 

Edited by Magus
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yes there are expansions. Sushi go party is the one I've played and I think there's a dice one too. The party expansion is very good. It adds a lot more things you can do and different strategies to get points in different ways. Much better than the original version imo. 

I wouldn't say the expansion evens the playing field. It complicates the game so if someone is already struggling with the original version, I don't think they'd improve too much on the party version. 

The One Night Ultimate games, especially Werewolf and Werewolf: Daybreak. Vampire and Alien get a little complicated if you've never played them before.

They're basically the Mafia/Werewolf game, but one round is a whole game.

Also a fan of Letters from Whitechapel, a Jack the Ripper vs police game.

Edited by Tulpa

9 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

What are you, my mother in law's aunt?

He's missing rummikub and dominoes. I worked at a pool one summer for 55+ year olds and that's literally all they did. Play those games and drink all day long

I'd also probably put Magic as the best card game ever. I'm not playing it at all right now, but competitive play is some of the most complex, fun gaming you can get in a game that's less usually than a half hour long.

Puerto Rico is my favorite board game. Maybe a little out of fashion, but it's complex enough to be fun, while being at the limit of what you can reasonably teach a "Let's just sit down and play" person. I like more complex games, but never play them because I don't have any group of serious gaming friends, so I constantly bust out Puerto Rico. Catan used to fill this role for me, but I don't like games based on dice rolls or games where it's easy for a vengeful player to just intentionally try to screw someone else they don't want to win when they've clearly lost.

I can say my least favorite game is probably Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Not because it's awful, but because if you get any disparate group of gamers and non-gamers together and make them look at a shelf of games, it is always the game everyone can agree on in my experience. It's easy to learn, requires no skill, and essentially has a random outcome, so everyone can sit down and have a good time. EXCEPT WHEN YOU BREAK IT OUT FOR THE 75TH TIME, CARL PUT IT BACK ON THE SHELF.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

Magic the Gathering probably deserves the title of best CCG, but I have to also add the Pokémon TCG as highly underrated. Probably due to the relation to its kid-centered IP. But as someone who plays both... dang, competitive play for that game is just as fun as Magic IMO.

Totally agree about Pokemon TCG. I played it for the first time probably about a year ago and was playing the free app for a little before that got all glitchy. Solid game all around. Just wish the game still worked on my iPad. 

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's amazing what you can do as long as there's an electrical outlet!

Lol, I've seen those pics of people bringing projectors outside and playing Mario kart 64 on the side of their house. I imagine something similar has been done with an NES and tv