IGNORED

At what price point do you sell that game you wanted to play??

What do you do when a game you want to play keeps appreciating in value?   

32 members have voted

1. 1. A physical game you purchased is now worth 3-4 times what you paid for it. You do want to play it, so what do you do?

• Open it and play it! After all, that's what games are for!
    • Keep it factory sealed, since it's worth much more than what you paid for it.
    • Sell it, since with the profits you could purchase other games and perhaps find a cheaper used copy (no guarantee though).
    • Sell it, and just give in to the digital devil and purchase the much cheaper digital copy.

This poll is closed to new votes

Picture this...

Some months ago you purchased that (Switch) game you were looking at. You paid $30-40 for it, something like that. A few days ago you said I should try something new... oh yeah! I haven't played this game I purchased some months ago! Only, it now turns out that game sells for over $100. What do you do? 

Now, keep in mind I'm coming from the mindset of a physical copy collector and player. I'm not into digital games... and I like that physical games come with manuals and other physical goodies! 

Why not just buy a pre-owned copy to play and keep your mint sealed copy and sell it 10-20 years or more down the road when it's worth 5-20x what you paid for it?

If you don't need the money, don't sell it. If you want to play it, buy a pre-owned cheap copy. The more time that passes, the fewer sealed copies there are. You can't undo opening a sealed game. Plus why would you have a sealed game that is worth 3-4x what you paid? Must not have wanted to play it that badly up front in the first place. 

16 minutes ago, Maertens29 said:

This has literally always been the option, but most people just can't be bothered and would rather eat the monetary loss instead of the time loss, I guess.

Not true. 

Sometimes it's just not possible to find used CIB and mint, and other times a used CIB and mint copy is so expensive that it's arguably better to just purchase a brand new copy. 

17 minutes ago, Makar said:

Why not just buy a pre-owned copy to play and keep your mint sealed copy and sell it 10-20 years or more down the road when it's worth 5-20x what you paid for it?

If you don't need the money, don't sell it. If you want to play it, buy a pre-owned cheap copy. The more time that passes, the fewer sealed copies there are. You can't undo opening a sealed game. Plus why would you have a sealed game that is worth 3-4x what you paid? Must not have wanted to play it that badly up front in the first place. 

First off, it's fun to open a game. Makes you feel like a kid instead of an adult that's always being bothered about money!

Secondly, do you know what lies down the road 10-20 years from now? Hell, how do you know you'll be even breathing? If you're a serious collector/investor I'm sure you're stocking up on limited games to sell them 10-20 years down the road, but I honestly don't want to be bothered with this. I prefer the "experience" of playing and enjoying a game. Sure, there are some games I purchased that I plan to keep, but with video games I don't want to won tons and tons of them - not to mention all the space they take up.

What I originally asked was about a game you purchased some months ago, not years. The value of the sealed game might also go down in value, but you know, if right now you purchased something for $40 and it sells for $125, that's a good return on your investment. I realize the answer likely depends on a person's circumstance. I didn't say this, but I rather assumed most people could always use extra money, but don't really need it - in other words you have a decent paying job. 

Just now, avatar! said:

First off, it's fun to open a game. Makes you feel like a kid instead of an adult that's always being bothered about money!

Secondly, do you know what lies down the road 10-20 years from now? Hell, how do you know you'll be even breathing? If you're a serious collector/investor I'm sure you're stocking up on limited games to sell them 10-20 years down the road, but I honestly don't want to be bothered with this. I prefer the "experience" of playing and enjoying a game. Sure, there are some games I purchased that I plan to keep, but with video games I don't want to won tons and tons of them - not to mention all the space they take up.

What I originally asked was about a game you purchased some months ago, not years. The value of the sealed game might also go down in value, but you know, if right now you purchased something for $40 and it sells for $125, that's a good return on your investment. I realize the answer likely depends on a person's circumstance. I didn't say this, but I rather assumed most people could always use extra money, but don't really need it - in other words you have a decent paying job. 

I didn't see your original post my bad. I read the poll and answered based on those options. 

What switch game did you buy? 

I have no idea what the next 10-20 years hold. That's why I only buy games I think I'll like or want as part of my collection. That way if they become worthless, who cares, I'm stuck with all games that I wanted anyways. I plan to have an awesome gaming library for my kids and nieces and nephews. 

Tripling your money is always good. Do whatever makes you happy. For modern games it might be much more worth it to sell it now because often times current gen games get reprinted and what was once rare, now isn't. Look at pikmin 3, infinite space, cave story 3d, Xenoblade, etc. All those were really high at one point then had reprints and went way down in price. 

I still don't understand just ripping open a $125 game to bring its value down to $40. Just sell it, make $85 and buy it pre owned. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Makar said:

I didn't see your original post my bad. I read the poll and answered based on those options. 

What switch game did you buy? 

I have no idea what the next 10-20 years hold. That's why I only buy games I think I'll like or want as part of my collection. That way if they become worthless, who cares, I'm stuck with all games that I wanted anyways. I plan to have an awesome gaming library for my kids and nieces and nephews. 

Tripling your money is always good. Do whatever makes you happy. For modern games it might be much more worth it to sell it now because often times current gen games get reprinted and what was once rare, now isn't. Look at pikmin 3, infinite space, cave story 3d, Xenoblade, etc. All those were really high at one point then had reprints and went way down in price. 

I still don't understand just ripping open a $125 game to bring its value down to $40. Just sell it, make $85 and buy it pre owned. 

There seem to be quite a few such games, but mostly I was thinking of Gris. Thing is, I just haven't seen any used copies on ebay nor amazon! Both the PS4 and especially the Switch game are crazy expensive. Of course, you could just purchase the digital copy (ugh) and play the game (great game), but you know, there's something special about a physical copy. As you pointed out, it's always possible for the game to get reprinted which will bring down the value considerably I imagine, and then you have to ask yourself if it's worth keeping the game for years? But, I think you have a good attitude - keep the games you really want to have around, and if they're not worth much of anything at least you like them 🙂

I'm getting rid of all of my RPGs. I have some nice profit there, though that wasn't my intention, like an amazing copy of Suikoden II. I think I paid $85 for it years ago. I thought it was ridiculously high back then but since so many people were calling it one of the best, non Squaresoft titles, I wanted to get it in case it skyrocketed.  Well, I never got around to it and now copies are going for as much as $400! Yeah, I'm letting that one go and I could use the proceeds to get a PS5, or keep saving for am arcade unit. Doesn't matter really. I can do a lot with $3-400 for my game room.

Edited by RH

4 minutes ago, avatar! said:

There seem to be quite a few such games, but mostly I was thinking of Gris. Thing is, I just haven't seen any used copies on ebay nor amazon! Both the PS4 and especially the Switch game are crazy expensive. Of course, you could just purchase the digital copy (ugh) and play the game (great game), but you know, there's something special about a physical copy. As you pointed out, it's always possible for the game to get reprinted which will bring down the value considerably I imagine, and then you have to ask yourself if it's worth keeping the game for years? But, I think you have a good attitude - keep the games you really want to have around, and if they're not worth much of anything at least you like them 🙂

Oh this is one of this limited run games got it. That makes a lot more sense. Looks like the company is shipping them in November (maybe a 2nd batch? Since it seems like people already have this game) https://specialreservegames.com/products/gris-reserve-switch

So their could be a reprint between now and November for more of these games. I'd probably sell it tbh and then stalk that site every day to get another copy to open and play for $35. 

Yea I have tons of games, and while many of them are pricey, I have no plan on selling them anytime soon or at all since they're part of my collection and will hopefully be enjoyed by my nieces, nephews, and kids. Now if I have a stadium event priced game 18 years down the road, I'd highly consider selling it to help pay for college. 

It's funny, I've watched many of my favorite $5 DS games sky rocket in price over the past 7 years because people are starting to catch onto a lot of them being really good. Dragon quest heroes rocket slime cart only was $5 at GameStop. Now it's $20-30. Drone tactics was $2 cart only. Now it's $40-50. All the dragon quest games were $10-20 cart only. Now they're all getting insane. Point is, buy what you like when it's cheap, and sell stuff you won't regret wishing you had in the future if prices spike. 

32 minutes ago, Makar said:

Oh this is one of this limited run games got it. That makes a lot more sense. Looks like the company is shipping them in November (maybe a 2nd batch? Since it seems like people already have this game) https://specialreservegames.com/products/gris-reserve-switch

So their could be a reprint between now and November for more of these games. I'd probably sell it tbh and then stalk that site every day to get another copy to open and play for $35. 

That was November of last year. All copies are long gone except for second-hand. LRG also released an edition that was actually open order, and those are also selling for 3x the initial price.

11 minutes ago, avatar! said:

That was November of last year. All copies are long gone except for second-hand. LRG also released an edition that was actually open order, and those are also selling for 3x the initial price.

are you going to flip a coin?

Edited by 42 foot tapeworm
grammer

5 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

are you going to flip a coin?

I've taught quantum mechanics enough to know that there's no point in flipping a coin 😉

Honestly, I'll see ow it goes. I kinda wish prices would just drop so I don't have to worry about it. I know some people purchase at least two copies of LRG etc. games - one to play, one to keep/sell. A smart idea, but just too much hassle for me. I have a ton of things happening in my life and games are supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable... besides I don't want all that clutter, so yeah, don't know!