IGNORED

Please Help: Short Term Memory Experiment for Psych Class

Aguy

I'm taking a Cognitive Psychology lab over summer, and we have to design and execute our own experiment. Since it's online and (waving hands) everything else going on, it's limited my options. So I turn to you all. I only need 10 people to complete this test and report their scores but you can never have too much data. The test should take about 3-4 minutes total so if you are interested, please continue reading and Thank you for your consideration.

You are tasked with playing a memory game (https://humanbenchmark.com/tests/memory) twice, once while listening to no music and once while listening to this music (www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ioc6sdgugo). If the handle you use for this site starts with A-M, please play the game first without any music, then again with the supplied music playing in the background. If the handle you use for this site starts with N-Z, please play the game first with the supplied music playing in the background, then again without any music. Please post your score for each round below and the order you played the games. You can also DM me your score if you'd prefer.

EX for:

Round 1, no music, score 5

Round 2, music, score 5

OR

Round 1, music, score 5

Round 2, no music, score 5

Certainly you have other people from other backgrounds added to the test pool?  Otherwise, you will have to mention that this test was exclusively taken by middle-aged gaming nerds who love to collect.  No correlation to performance may be expected but until further researched, results might be inconclusive.

🤭

• Haha 2

On 6/25/2020 at 10:36 AM, Link said:

Round 1, no music, score 8
Round 2, music, score 10

In level 8, the squares were much more scattered in Round 1 and clustered together in Round 2. So I’m not sure the correlation is really valid.

Or it could be your brain better tracked the patterns because it was your second attempt. That's why you have a counterbalanced approach and collect as many participants as possible, so you can try to even out uncontrollable variables, such as RNG and repetition.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:52 AM, RH said:

Certainly you have other people from other backgrounds added to the test pool?  Otherwise, you will have to mention that this test was exclusively taken by middle-aged gaming nerds who love to collect.  No correlation to performance may be expected but until further researched, results might be inconclusive.

🤭

Maybe middle-aged game collecting nerds is the population a want to generalize...

54 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Or it could be your brain better tracked the patterns because it was your second attempt.

They were all touching the second time around. One big block with a few sticking out. Whereas the first time, they were split up all over the grid in groups of 2-4. 

56 minutes ago, Aguy said:

That's why you have a counterbalanced approach and collect as many participants as possible, so you can try to even out uncontrollable variables, such as RNG and repetition.

Oh yes, absolutely.