IGNORED

Music Debate #69: Gorillaz

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

38 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

this is so weird. I listened to the first Gorillaz album yesterday randomly. Hadn't heard it in a few years.

I haven't voted yet. Probably a 7/10 for me. Somewhere in that neighborhood. I like all their albums. I like the concept of the band. But if Damon announced tomorrow that Blur was back in full force and Gorillaz was no more, I'd be happy with that.

I gave them a 7.  I was aware of them and then looked them up on Spotify one day and I found myself listening through their catalog for a while. I think they are pretty good group to just have on in the background of work/life and I often found myself listening to them, but not really loving them.  I think they are good at making "good" music.  Good, but not great, and IMHO that's rather consistent.

They’re one of the very few artists I can still bump as regularly as I did when I was a kid.

They try to do a new sound with every album. They’re very experimental. That leads to some hit or miss songs or albums. This also means they’re extremely diverse. I’ve never known anyone to not be able to find at least one song in their extensive repertoire that they like.

(Well, I’ve found one guy. He has a boat tattooed on his face. So yeah.)

Almost every album or song is political or critical of something, but they hide it well enough that when it is obvious in a song you get people complaining “Why couldn’t they be non-political like they’ve always been?!”

And people are right that it’s two guys. Damon Albarn, the lead singer for Blur writes the music, sings, and plays keyboard. Jamie Hewlett does the art and the characters. They do a lot of guest artists to fill in the gaps. They pick from all over the place for their guest artists. Old legends like Bobby Womack that have been out of the game so to speak, but they also try to showcase lesser known artists. Snoop Dogg was a huge surprise for them to bring aboard, since they usually try to give the smaller guys the spotlight, but he’s a huge fan of Gorillaz and he adds a good sound on the few tracks he’s on.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

And people are right that it’s two guys. Damon Albarn, the lead singer for Blur writes the music, sings, and plays keyboard. Jamie Hewlett does the art and the characters. They do a lot of guest artists to fill in the gaps. They pick from all over the place for their guest artists. Old legends like Bobby Womack that have been out of the game so to speak, but they also try to showcase lesser known artists. Snoop Dogg was a huge surprise for them to bring aboard, since they usually try to give the smaller guys the spotlight, but he’s a huge fan of Gorillaz and he adds a good sound on the few tracks he’s on.

Three nowadays. Remi Kabaka Jr. joined them about ten years ago. There's also a few others they work with regularly.

• Like 1