IGNORED

Biggest Gaming Disappointments?

Makar

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had the entire Genesis/Sega CD/32X combo. I remember buying the official Sega power strip so I had a place to plug in all of those bricks.

I never went with the 32x since there were absolutely no games that I wanted.   (I do have a jaguar with cd - no games there either that I wanted  but it was only $10 (at the thrift store) with some games I also didn't want. Make it cheap enough and some sucker will buy it.)

Just now, Tabonga said:

I never went with the 32x since there were absolutely no games that I wanted.   (I do have a jaguar with cd - no games there either that I wanted  but it was only $10 (at the thrift store) with some games I also didn't want. Make it cheap enough and some sucker will buy it.)

I got the 32X at launch with Doom and Star Wars. I remember the port of Mortal Kombat II being pretty good. I think I had two or three other games, but Sega pulled the plug on it before it even got started.

Wii. U. 

I was rocking with the Wii, and so was most of America. The Wii U had 3rd party support out of the gate with Madden, NBA2K, Mass effect, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, FIFA, Just Dance, Sonic Racing, Tekken. All at launch!

New SMB U ran at 60 fps and it looked like this new Wii with a goofy controller was going to o usher in the new era of next gen gaming for Nintendo. TVii was integrated into the Superbowl and the goofy pad was a dedicated screen for Wii games. From an insiders perspective, I really thought this was it. From and outsiders perspective, the writing was on the wall. 

Little did I know I'd have to wait 5 more long years for a console to be released. So instead of hanging on to the shards of hope and fondness I had for the Wii U, I chose to spend my time and interest on the Nintendo console that was worthy -- the 3DS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DarkTone said:

Mighty no 9. 

Totally forgot about this one. Boy was I looking forward to it and then....yea....

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

What's wrong with it?

Everything lol. The controls were a hot mess from what I remember. I guess I'm not the only one. There are tons of articles basically saying what I said. Horrible controls for a game that would otherwise be good.

https://financialpost.com/technology/review-kid-icarus-uprising-a-solid-game-hampered-by-terrible-controls

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

As much as I like it I feel much the same about the Sega CD - it never really caught on like it should have.  I still believe (because of the relatively small library) that it had the highest ratio of great/nearly great games of any console.  

I'm surprised by this statement too.  Sure, Sega CD had some gems but a good share of turds that haven't aged well (or weren't big enough improvements over the Genesis versions).  My vote for the console with the highest ratio of great or good games / total library would be something like the Vectrex or possibly the TurboDuo.

My vote for biggest gaming disappointment was the Dreamcast being discontinued after just 2 short years.

11 minutes ago, glazball said:

I'm surprised by this statement too.  Sure, Sega CD had some gems but a good share of turds that haven't aged well (or weren't big enough improvements over the Genesis versions).  My vote for the console with the highest ratio of great or good games / total library would be something like the Vectrex or possibly the TurboDuo.

It had a lot of dogs* (no doubt about it) - particularly the FMV games - and that capability was supposed to be a strong point for the system.  But you don't buy a platform for the dogs (well at least I don't). 

As I said that list was just off the top of my head (for example I overlooked The Secret of Monkey Island and Rise of the Dragon) - if we also consider "good**" games that list is going to be a lot longer. 

*In fact one could also make the argument that the Sega CD also has the a high ratio of duds - the two are not by any means necessarily mutually exclusive (as paradoxical as that might seem).

**Assuming we could agree on what "good" constitutes - obviously that is going to be heavily colored by what genres one likes (genre preference is also going to heavily weigh on what platform one thinks is the best in ratio of great/good games).

Editorials Team · Posted

Robotech: Battlecry - As a huge Robotech fan I was pretty excited for this, and it got some decent hype.  The game was merely okay

SiN - One of the buggiest games upon release that's ever existed

Simpsons Hit and Run - Praised as the first good console Simpsons game.  It's a third-rate GTA/Crazy Taxi hybrid

Clayfighter - Hyped beyond belief, it's just another crappy fighter

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - A great game.  But takes so many steps back from the original and Tactics Ogre

Final Fantasy Chronicles - I'd finally get to play through Chrono Trigger again.  Except for the mindnumbing load times.

Dragon Age 2 - The first game was a masterpiece.  They then changed every single thing for the worse.  The entire clusterfuck was detailed in Blood, Sweat, and Pixels.

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

As much as I like it I feel much the same about the Sega CD - it never really caught on like it should have.  I still believe (because of the relatively small library) that it had the highest ratio of great/nearly great games of any console.  

Neo Geo does :)

And to the OP - this is nowhere even clse as #1 but I remember playing Batman Arkham Knight and seeing it was a Batmobile game (exaggerating..) I decided nah.

TLOZ: Skyward Sword - The only main Zelda game I'd call pretty bad. Brutal controls and extremely tedious, overlong game.

Uncharted 4 - A good game with outrageous production values, but far removed from the rollicking playable action movie of Uncharted 2. Largely just a movie/walking simulator (or cliff climbing simulator). U2 might be the peak of modern games in my eyes, and U4 is probably the point I realized that I'm totally out on the modern big budget gaming industry.

Divinity OS1 - Playing after Divinity OS2, I think the best CRPG ever made, the first game is rough! Slow combat, tons of filler encounters, generic story, just all around a much worse game. Probably wouldn't be as disappointing if I played them in order.

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Wii. U. 

I was rocking with the Wii, and so was most of America. The Wii U had 3rd party support out of the gate with Madden, NBA2K, Mass effect, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, FIFA, Just Dance, Sonic Racing, Tekken. All at launch!

New SMB U ran at 60 fps and it looked like this new Wii with a goofy controller was going to o usher in the new era of next gen gaming for Nintendo. TVii was integrated into the Superbowl and the goofy pad was a dedicated screen for Wii games. From an insiders perspective, I really thought this was it. From and outsiders perspective, the writing was on the wall. 

Little did I know I'd have to wait 5 more long years for a console to be released. So instead of hanging on to the shards of hope and fondness I had for the Wii U, I chose to spend my time and interest on the Nintendo console that was worthy -- the 3DS.

Totally forgot about the Wii u. It's still the only Nintendo system I don't own, and I never will. Well that and virtual boy but in my head I never really count virtual boy as a real system. The only game I'd ever get a Wii u for would be Pikmin 3. Still hoping they port that to the switch. 

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Robotech: Battlecry - As a huge Robotech fan I was pretty excited for this, and it got some decent hype.  The game was merely okay

Simpsons Hit and Run - Praised as the first good console Simpsons game.  It's a third-rate GTA/Crazy Taxi hybrid

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - A great game.  But takes so many steps back from the original and Tactics Ogre

Final Fantasy Chronicles - I'd finally get to play through Chrono Trigger again.  Except for the mindnumbing load times.

Dragon Age 2 - The first game was a masterpiece.  They then changed every single thing for the worse.  The entire clusterfuck was detailed in Blood, Sweat, and Pixels.

Which final fantasy tactics games are actually good? I know they have one on PS1, PSP, GBA, and DS. I've never played any of them.

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Makar said:

Totally forgot about the Wii u. It's still the only Nintendo system I don't own, and I never will. Well that and virtual boy but in my head I never really count virtual boy as a real system. The only game I'd ever get a Wii u for would be Pikmin 3. Still hoping they port that to the switch. 

Which final fantasy tactics games are actually good? I know they have one on PS1, PSP, GBA, and DS. I've never played any of them.

The PSP and PS1 games are the same.  The PSP version makes some minor changes I'm not huge on, but only the most diehard of players will even notice.

Tactics Ogre (the original) is basically the FFT precursor, and is even better in some ways.  It's available on SNES, PS1, and PSP, with the PSP version being the way to go.

Those are the games to play.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 take FFT and take things in a different direction.  It moves to the world of Final Fantasy 11/12, adds judges, has a slightly more cartoony aesthetic, etc.  They're good games, but I prefer the originals.

Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis is not nearly as good as the original TO, but I prefer it over the FFT sequels.

So in other words

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1,PSP) = Tactics Ogre (SNES, PS1, PSP) >> Tactics Ogre KoL (GBA) > Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) = Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS)

They're all good though.  Every one.

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The PSP and PS1 games are the same.  The PSP version makes some minor changes I'm not huge on, but only the most diehard of players will even notice.

Tactics Ogre (the original) is basically the FFT precursor, and is even better in some ways.  It's available on SNES, PS1, and PSP, with the PSP version being the way to go.

Those are the games to play.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 take FFT and take things in a different direction.  It moves to the world of Final Fantasy 11/12, adds judges, has a slightly more cartoony aesthetic, etc.  They're good games, but I prefer the originals.

Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis is not nearly as good as the original TO, but I prefer it over the FFT sequels.

So in other words

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1,PSP) = Tactics Ogre (SNES, PS1, PSP) >> Tactics Ogre KoL (GBA) > Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) = Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS)

Thanks! All good to know. Did not know tactics ogre was related to fft. I'll have to try that first before playing fft. I have both of those on PSP and also fft a2 but I'll save that one for last. 

I remember being a kid and being so excited for Shadow the Hedgehog. So... yeah. More recently, I was extremely disappointed with Pokémon X and Y. I feel like it’s the low point in the series.

3 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Third World War

I picked this up for cheap a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

19 minutes ago, Makar said:

The original FF Tactics on PS1 is fantastic, but FFT Advance is just a slog. The judges suck every ounce of fun out of that game. I never played the sequel.

9 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I remember being a kid and being so excited for Shadow the Hedgehog. So... yeah. More recently, I was extremely disappointed with Pokémon X and Y. I feel like it’s the low point in the series.

Interesting. And here I was thinking gen 6 was better than 3, 4 and 7. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

The original FF Tactics on PS1 is fantastic, but FFT Advance is just a slog. The judges suck every ounce of fun out of that game. I never played the sequel.

Thanks for the warning. Seems like this is the bad one of the bunch. Luckily fft advance is the only one I don't own

Final Fantasy XV. I got a PS4 because I wanted to play this and then it was just meandering, bland, storyless shit.  

Suikoden IV.  I loved all of the Suikodens leading up to this.  I even thought that 3 with the jump to 3D was excellent.  This was a serious letdown.  Actually it might have been not so bad if I didn’t spend so much time wandering vast empty oceans.

This trailer (and its other trailers/commercials) that make Game of War at first sound like this epic quest/adventure (that might have many other gorgeous warrior chicks like Kate Upton) that can easily give you several dozens of hours of gameplay/sidequests, just like the best entries in the DQ/FF series...until you find out in the end it's just a cheap bush league micro-transaction harvesting phone game 😞  Talk about a major letdown at the end. 😞 

Edited by Estil

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Final Fantasy XV. I got a PS4 because I wanted to play this and then it was just meandering, bland, storyless shit.  

Not to mention no chicks in the party 😞   I mean I imagine that's a stupid reason for passing up FF15 but still...

At least we got DQ11! 😄   Which includes a cute chick, Disney Princess chick, and a sexy Rapunzel chick 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Not to mention no chicks in the party 😞   I mean I imagine that's a stupid reason for passing up FF15 but still...

At least we got DQ11! 😄   Which includes a cute chick, Disney Princess chick, and a sexy Rapunzel chick 🙂

DQ11 was exactly what I wanted it to be.  Excellent entry in the series.

Mario Odyssey and to a lesser extent the Switch. I won't deny that it's a great game but I was personally pretty disappointed once I completed it. I felt the controls were under utilized and there was not enough focus on single moons. Once I had completed that game and got tired of Splatoon 2 online I found myself waiting for another big Nintendo title that isn't a port from Wii U and still am. I've played a number of indy games, some older ports, and a few other 3rd party titles but my Switch doesn't get much use. Also, the left joystick continues to have a hard drift which makes portable mode pretty frustrating. Even after cleaned, it just goes back to garbage after a few sessions.

I'd really like a new Mario Golf game too.