IGNORED

Biggest Gaming Disappointments?

Makar

What are some of the things gaming wise that you have been most disappointed in over the years? Could be anything, a game, system, controller, cancellation of a game, etc. 

Mine are mostly games I thought would be good not really meeting my expectations. 

All of the games below were bummers for me. I went in with high hopes and they let me down. All are modern games. 

Pokemon sun and moon - way too much dialogue, too few new Pokemon introduced and too many were dumb bug and grass Pokemon. Did not like the island setup, or the z moves. Also didn't like that 2 Pokemon on my team early on didn't evolve until the very end of the game.

Kid Icarus uprising - the controls...omg the controls....so so so bad. A shame because the rest of the game had potential. 

Paper Mario sticker star - the stickers...they go away after use. You're screwed in many battles if you don't have the exact correct stickers. And I got stuck at one point in the game and an online guide didn't help. Definitely not the thousand year door quality. 

Disappointed they never localized dragon quest monsters joker 3, the first 2 dragon warrior monsters remakes, or dragon quest heroes rocket slime 3. 

Also disappointed Pikmin 3 hasn't been ported to the switch, and that there's no update about Pikmin 4, but I suppose there's still lots of time. I wish they'd give an update on the new dragon quest monsters series they have in the works for the switch. 

Edited by Makar
  • Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I remember when I discovered gametrailers.com. Prior, I would only know about what games were out there by tv commercials, or by looking at the display at the store. With gametrailers I could now see everything that was new and exciting way before release. This was the first time I experienced hype for games. This was also around the time xbox 360 was new and around the time I got my first job. So it was an exciting time. One trailer in particular stood out, that was Assassin's Creed. 

Seeing this, and knowing it was ubisoft who also developed the fantastic Prince of Persia series last gen, I was like holy shit this is going to be the greatest thing ever. And then the game sucked. And I learned a valuable lesson about hype. 

Come to think of it, a lot of the games I was really excited for didnt really deliver. Lair was another one I was really hyped for

5 hours ago, Makar said:

Kid Icarus uprising - the controls...omg the controls....so so so bad. A shame because the rest of the game had potential. 

Nah Kid Icarus Uprising was awesome.  My favorite 3DS game.

Mine would be the story mode of Ninja Gaiden II.  The higher difficulties aren't balanced and are a chore to get through without using strats that are repetitive, boring, or feel like cheating.

Zelda final bosses across the entire history of the series in general, but especially Demise and Calamity Ganon.  Demise was the ultimate big bad behind Ganon, but he goes down so easily.  And the way the four champions help Link at the end of BotW was unsatisfying.  I didn't want the reward for helping the four champions to be giving me four fewer bosses and a halved final boss life meter.  I thought that was kind of uncreative.  And then you just ride your horse around a big pig that is no threat to you at all and shoot a few targets and the game is over.

That's all I can think of right now.

The cancellation of that Kirby game that was going to be released for GameCube in 2005/2006. I like Kirby Air Ride (and think it is underrated), but...I really wish that action/adventure game was released for GameCube as well. Especially since, from what I remember reading in late 2006/early 2007, the game was nearly complete.

1 hour ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Rocky on Xbox...IGN gave it a great review. It was a turd. I feel the same about Triple Play 2000. I only bought the latter because ASB 2001 was sold out. It’s the only game I’ve ever traded in.

I played Rocky on PS2 and loved it on the first playthru.  It was probably the best boxing simulation before Fight Night Rd 2 was released.

Gran Turismo Sport was a huge let down for me because I was expecting a huge solo campaign like the others, but found out it was more concentrated on online gameplay.  Shame on me for not researching before buying.

One huge bummer for me in the early 2000s was the Gran Turismo 4 car list.  I was following it as they would cut a few cars here and there and talk about it in a press release, and being an MX6/Probe fanboy to the extreme at the time, I was super stoked to see that they were including my car (90 MX6) and my uncles car (96 Probe,) but I think it was actually a 95 in the game, but when the final cut list came before its release, those two were cut, and I was devastated.

7 hours ago, wyansas said:

Nah Kid Icarus Uprising was awesome.  My favorite 3DS game.

This seems to be one of the most polarizing 3DS games there is. You either love it or hate it. I can see why people would like it once they get used to the bad controls. Even if the controls were smooth, I like all the fire emblems, link between worlds, Pokemon x and y, shovel knight, cave story 3d, Mario kart 7, dragon quest monsters joker 3 (English patch), pocket card jockey, smash Bros 4, and probably others more than kid Icarus uprising.

11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The N64. The third party library just wasn't there and the controller is awful. With a bigger selection of games and a SNES style controller, I think it could have been a lot better than it was.

I played the original smash bros last month for the first time in a while. I forgot just how bad that controller is. And I still only have like 5 or 6 games for N64.

14 minutes ago, Makar said:

I played the original smash bros last month for the first time in a while. I forgot just how bad that controller is. And I still only have like 5 or 6 games for N64.

The N64 had some good ports of arcade games, but trying to play Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat Trilogy with that controller was a borderline painful experience. 

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The N64. The third party library just wasn't there and the controller is awful. With a bigger selection of games and a SNES style controller, I think it could have been a lot better than it was.

I guess I could throw the Sega Saturn out there too. I'm disappointed that it never reached its potential here like it did in Japan. 

As much as I like it I feel much the same about the Sega CD - it never really caught on like it should have.  I still believe (because of the relatively small library) that it had the highest ratio of great/nearly great games of any console.  

Edited by Tabonga

11 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

As much as I like it I feel much the same about the Sega CD - it never really caught on like it should have.  I still believe (because of the relatively small library) that it had the highest ratio of great/nearly great games of any console.  

I had a Sega CD back in the early 90s and it definitely seemed ahead of it's time. The potential was there for it to have been better than it was.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 hour ago, Makar said:

I forgot just how bad that controller is.

What's wrong with it?

23 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

That's very surprising to hear. What stand-out games do you feel exist for the Mega CD? I have one, but have a hard time finding anything to play at all. There's Snatcher and the Lunar games of course, but all of those are multiplatform and/or incredibly expensive, with the PS1 remakes of Lunar definitely being the preferred version.

Edited by Sumez

12 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had a Sega CD back in the early 90s and it definitely seemed ahead of it's time. Thefaster potential was there for it to have been better than it was.

I got sick of Sega dropping consoles faster than I changed hats - Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast.  No backwards capability and new peripherals needed each time.  Worst of all were the small numbers of some of the best games made since they appeared when the systems were doomed.  (One of the reasons Panzer Dragoon Saga has always commanded a high price was because it was hard to get even when new - and not many hit the stores since employees grabbed them before they hit the shelves.)

@Sumez

I am not familiar with the Mega CD lineup but over here there were the following (in addition to the Lunars* and Snatcher)

Popful Mail
Dark Wizard
Shining Force CD
Vay (Not as good as the Lunars - but not bad either)
Third World War
Keio Flying Squadron
Sonic CD
Iron Helix
Robo Aleste
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco Tides of Time

That's just off the top of my head - that's 14 out of a library of 145 or so - and the list is arguably longer depending on what types of games one likes,

And we have Night Trap - not a great game but it certainly has a unique place in gaming history.

*For what it is worth I much prefer the Sega CD versions.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I got sick of Sega dropping consoles faster than I changed hats - Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast.  No backwards capability and new peripherals needed each time.  Worst of all were the small numbers of some of the best games made since they appeared when the systems were doomed.  (One of the reasons Panzer Dragoon Saga has always commanded a high price was because it was hard to get even when new - and not many hit the stores since employees grabbed them before they hit the shelves.)

Being a Sega console owner in the 1990s was disappointing. I had all of them so it was rough. At least they stuck with the Game Gear for a decent amount of time.

7 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I played Rocky on PS2 and loved it on the first playthru.  It was probably the best boxing simulation before Fight Night Rd 2 was released.

You could cheese your way through the game and basically be unbeatable in 2 player if you timed it right. I found that to be unforgivable in a boxing game.

I spent months looking forward to Road Rash 3D for the Playstation, excited to relive the multiplayer motorcycle combat of the Genesis version. When I got to the store, it was locked behind the glass so I couldn't look at the back of the box before I paid, but I put down my $50 and got home as quickly as possible.

Then I realized the game had no multiplayer. NO MULTIPLAYER. It was a single player game only and I wanted to break the disc in half when I realized that.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Being a Sega console owner in the 1990s was disappointing. I had all of them so it was rough. At least they stuck with the Game Gear for a decent amount of time.

I still have all three (Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast) - I am really glad I long ago got all the games for each platform that I wanted since the prices have  gone so crazy. (I even have all 7 of the different Lunar Silver Star Story discs and all 4 of the different Dragon Force discs,)

3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I still have all three (Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast) - I am really glad I long ago got all the games for each platform that I wanted since the prices have  gone so crazy. (I even have all 7 of the different Lunar Silver Star Story discs and all 4 of the different Dragon Force discs,)

I had the entire Genesis/Sega CD/32X combo. I remember buying the official Sega power strip so I had a place to plug in all of those bricks. I bought the Saturn and Dreamcast at launch. I rode the Sega console wave all the way to the end.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug