IGNORED

I just can’t get with the outrage culture of modern gaming

Strange

On 6/24/2020 at 12:23 PM, noiseredux said:

yeah I just ignore it. Which is somewhat easier as I'm not on social media at all. But yeah, when I saw Pokemone United my first thoughts were, (A) oh awesome, a Pokemon MOBA made by the people who made Arena Of Valor, so I know it'll be competent; I'm looking forward to giving this a try, and (B) a lot of people are going to be really angry and vocal about this.

Lol. I thought the same thing. Ignoring it has been the best solution to me as well. I just let people have their fits, and keep walking.

6 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I see it everywhere now.  Not just with video games.  It's almost like people are afraid to say that something looks great, because they feel they will look stupid once someone points out some kind of flaw.  In addition, the person pointing out the flaw feels some sort of superiority for finding such a flaw.  

I can't think of a better example then the release of the appearance of the PS5.  

Couldn’t agree more. It’s like people don’t want anyone to have a different opinion anymore. If you don’t follow the outrage crowd then you’re automatically wrong.

I think social media and YouTube have really enhanced this state of mind and even encourage it for views/revenue. Journalists have now followed this pattern in news articles and the news has become very biased and no longer neutral. I stay away from social media & the news for this reason.

• Like 1

OTOH though, modern social media and the Internet in general has opened up a platform for many viewpoints/groups that maybe most people wouldn't have even thought of in the pre-Internet days...for better or for worse.  So yeah, double edged sword for sure.

5 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

I hear people online not liking the way the PS5 looks, but everyone I know in person likes it. It is so popular to be negative about anything.

Better than the let down bland PS4's appearance (compared to the super sexy sleek PS3 original version)...but like I've said again and again video game consoles and electronics/appliances in general are like people; it's what's inside that counts! 🙂 

5 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

I hear people online not liking the way the PS5 looks, but everyone I know in person likes it. It is so popular to be negative about anything.

I’ve spoken with someone in person who didn’t like the design, but you could tell it was a genuine opinion of his and not just going with the outrage wave. I have no issues with that and don’t mind discussing flaws in games/products, even if it’s one I like. It’s just this mass hysteria and acting like it’s the most important thing happening in the world is what gets me.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

It’s like people don’t want anyone to have a different opinion anymore. If you don’t follow the outrage crowd then you’re automatically wrong.

I think it just shows how long the ppl are who are "outraged" or at least who they're marketing to. Anyone who's grown isn't going to have a fit and vidya games. They'll just feel mild disappointment and move on, like the rest of life. 

The problem w the internet at large is that it's a pretty poor way to communicate. FB, Twitter, intsa, reddit, are all a step backwards on communication.  It's just the most outrageous things are those that are said the loudest. And most of the ppl to ever post are the ones who are mentally not all there. 

At least with small forums like this, you get a genuine sense of community and every active voice can be heard. 

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, CMR said:

It seems to me like a lot of younger people (I'm 40) don't have much of an identity, and they try to make up for it by taking things they're passionate about to the extreme. 

He says, surrounded by old men whose entire personality is "I COLLECTED EVERY SINGLE NES GAME (except that one expensive one)!".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Gloves said:

He says, surrounded by old men whose entire personality is "I COLLECTED EVERY SINGLE NES GAME (except that one expensive one)!".

I don't really mean the idea of going all in on something like collecting.  I'm talking more about the outrage culture that has sprung up. 

As far as gaming goes, I'm with Bear Cat Doug.  I don't really buy new games anymore either.  I've got plenty of old stuff I need to play and a ton of NES mods and hacks I haven't touched yet (go play spelunker 2).  I'll buy the next Zelda and Mario, and  I'm also looking forward to the next Bloodstaind game, but most of the newer indie games that try to ride the coat tails of the 8bit and 16bit days aren't that great.  I'll occasionally download a few to play on eshop and I always come away disappointed. 

Edited by CMR

Graphics Team · Posted
On 6/24/2020 at 10:47 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

The PS3 and Wii were the last current gen consoles that I owned ... After that I pretty much went back to exclusively playing NES/SNES games.

You're not alone, dude. The Wii was my last (and first) modern home console. Not that there's anything wrong with new video games - they just have little to no draw for me.

It's kind of like antique cars and new sports-cars - they're both cars, but it's hard to compare them because there's a completely different type of appeal to them, and the evolution from one to the other is such a wide gap. There's something about classic gaming that fully engages me, but for whatever reason I can't get myself to care for anything that was made after the 90s, even retro-inspired stuff for the most part.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

It’s everything on the internet any more.  I don’t know that it’s a problem with most people though; it’s an issue with the type of people that feel the need to voice their opinion about everything on the internet whether they actually know anything about the topic or not. 

Nothing is more depressing anymore than reading the comments on any news article no matter how benign the topic.  Ever read the comments on a facebook science article from almost any source?  It’s really messed up.  There’s something seriously wrong with someone who feels the need to post “Who cares!?” on a harmless news blurb about whatever astrophysics work is being done.  Not to mention the equally ignorant posts from both the left (“Like OMG shouldn’t they be working on eliminating the glutens that are ravaging Africa?”) and the right (“hurr durr that there is all CGI.  It’s just a leftist dummycrat scam.”)

Hmm...I may be off topic again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

You're not alone, dude. The Wii was my last (and first) modern home console. Not that there's anything wrong with new video games - they just have little to no draw for me.

It's kind of like antique cars and new sports-cars - they're both cars, but it's hard to compare them because there's a completely different type of appeal to them, and the evolution from one to the other is such a wide gap. There's something about classic gaming that fully engages me, but for whatever reason I can't get myself to care for anything that was made after the 90s, even retro-inspired stuff for the most part.

-CasualCart

I'm one of those guys that collects the classic and modern. However, I do feel more excitement for the classic stuff. When I find something on my holy grail list, it makes not only my day but my year. I rarely get super excited about new game releases and generally wait a few months to pick them up cheap.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 5:47 PM, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

At least it's not just me. I don't have anything against modern games, they just don't really interest me.

58 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

At least it's not just me. I don't have anything against modern games, they just don't really interest me.

One thing that does frustrate me about modern gaming is patches and updates. I had a few people over the other night and tried playing a few Wii U games that I haven't played in a while or at all yet. One I couldn't even get to update, Guitar Hero Live was asking me to register for a Activision account for some reason and also wouldn't fully update as a result, and then I put in Splatoon and it booted up and then when I connected to online it booted me and started to update lol. Ended up playing Mario Kart 8 which I have played somewhat recently so there was no update or patch. Although not an everyday event, it was still pretty annoying and kind of a buzz kill trying to get these games going just to play locally for a few minutes. There is definitely something to say about being able to plug and play through a game in 15-20 min with no updates and extensive loading.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

One thing that does frustrate me about modern gaming is patches and updates. I had a few people over the other night and tried playing a few Wii U games that I haven't played in a while or at all yet. One I couldn't even get to update, Guitar Hero Live was asking me to register for a Activision account for some reason and also wouldn't fully update as a result, and then I put in Splatoon and it booted up and then when I connected to online it booted me and started to update lol. Ended up playing Mario Kart 8 which I have played somewhat recently so there was no update or patch. Although not an everyday event, it was still pretty annoying and kind of a buzz kill trying to get these games going just to play locally for a few minutes. There is definitely something to say about being able to plug and play through a game in 15-20 min with no updates and extensive loading.

I agree with this. I play modern games, but trying to load up a game that I haven’t played in awhile to find out that I need to do a massive update is frustrating.

Also, I don’t get the outrage culture. I don’t think that a I’ve ever been angry about a game before. Like someone said earlier in this thread, it’s not just a game issue. I think it’s a egotistical issue and social media has allowed for people to act disgracefully. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Not to completely excuse the updates but I have found Nintendo's updates speeds underwhelming.  They have been slow wired or wireless.  Not an issue with PlayStation, Xbox, or PC. For some reason Nintendo servers have been slow to download from on my end.

7 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Not to completely excuse the updates but I have found Nintendo's updates speeds underwhelming.  They have been slow wired or wireless.  Not an issue with PlayStation, Xbox, or PC. For some reason Nintendo servers have been slow to download from on my end.

Nintendo's online is absolutely terrible in almost every aspect. Didn't mind so much when it was free but now that they charge I would expect better service. Having said that, I find PS4 updates download fast but the 'copy' portion can be painfully slow for some reason. Same with that... want to play a few games with my friends online and there is a 20-30GB update... I just put the system in rest mode and do something else. It's just the way it is these days though and obviously patches and updates are necessary for these massive games. I wish for older games you could at least choose to ignore the update if playing locally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I had similar issues with Spyro: Reignited Trilogy, when I got it last year for my Switch. First, before I could even start playing, I needed to download a system update. Once that was downloaded, I started the game and got to the title screen. A Privacy statement appears. Finally, I play through the first few levels of the first Spyro the Dragon and...the game says I need to download an update to play the full game. A 9 GB update...even though I purchased a physical copy. I like Spyro, but that update sure wasted a lot of space.

Yes, I know video games are a lot more complex these days. But, dang. It'd be nice to just a put a game into the console, turn it on, and play it. This is one reason why I like retro video games and systems more than modern.

Edited by MegaMan52

55 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

I had similar issues with Spyro: Reignited Trilogy, when I got it last year for my Switch. First, before I could even start playing, I needed to download a system update. Once that was downloaded, I started the game and got to the title screen. A Privacy statement appears. Finally, I play through the first few levels of the first Spyro the Dragon and...the game says I need to download an update to play the full game. A 9 GB update...even though I purchased a physical copy. I like Spyro, but that update sure wasted a lot of space.

Yes, I know video games are a lot more complex these days. But, dang. It'd be nice to just a put a game into the console, turn it on, and play it. This is one reason why I like retro video games and systems more than modern.

Wasn't Spyro one of the switch titles where the first game was on the cart and the rest was all download?  It's kind of a slap in the face to throw a cart in there with next to nothing on it.  The company could pay the extra couple bucks for the larger cart but instead they stick you with 1/3 of a game and eat up your internal memory.

It's part of why I went digital.  If they are shorting me anyhow I might as well get some of the conveniences digital has.  I can't blame anyone here who may have abandoned modern gaming.  It's a real mixed bag.

1 hour ago, zeppelin03 said:

Wasn't Spyro one of the switch titles where the first game was on the cart and the rest was all download?  It's kind of a slap in the face to throw a cart in there with next to nothing on it.  The company could pay the extra couple bucks for the larger cart but instead they stick you with 1/3 of a game and eat up your internal memory.

It's part of why I went digital.  If they are shorting me anyhow I might as well get some of the conveniences digital has.  I can't blame anyone here who may have abandoned modern gaming.  It's a real mixed bag.

This is becoming more, and more common with physical media. You bought a cart or disc and think you have the whole game but you don't. What happens when you buy a game and don't have home internet? I know most people have home internet access, but my cousin does not. He only has the data from his phone because he can't afford to have internet where he lives. I know game development is much more complicated these days, but day one patches and updates just seems like lazy coding to me. Just give me the full completed game on cart or disc and there should not be a problem.

Also, related to the last post. What happens to all of your digital games you bought when the online store is finally shut down. People tend to forget that Nintendo shut down the Wii store, and if you didn't download all of the games you purchased they were lost forever. This is why I do not do digital games. Food for thought.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

Also, related to the last post. What happens to all of your digital games you bought when the online store is finally shut down. People tend to forget that Nintendo shut down the Wii store, and if you didn't download all of the games you purchased they were lost forever. This is why I do not do digital games. Food for thought.

It is an issue for a lot of people.  I mod my consoles once they become last gen.  Doing so allows you to backup saves and games.  My steam library is backed up on 2 hard drives to avoid data caps and server issues.  Admittedly these are not action most want to take in order to keep their games.  I'm just glad there are options.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

It is an issue for a lot of people.  I mod my consoles once they become last gen.  Doing so allows you to backup saves and games.  My steam library is backed up on 2 hard drives to avoid data caps and server issues.  Admittedly these are not action most want to take in order to keep their games.  I'm just glad there are options.

Just an FYI, I started a new thread talking specifically about the loss of digital games. Trying to prevent this thread from going off topic.

• Thanks 1