IGNORED

Boktai is awesome! How to Play Boktai Without Sunlight or a Blacklight

Makar

I was talking to @Jeevan yesterday about this awesome game and he had no clue what it was. I had made a thread about how awesome the Boktai series is on NA 6 years ago and I realized

1) people are missing out on boktai (it's a GBA game), and

2) it doesn't look like anyone on the internet knows how to play boktai without sunlight or a blacklight.

So it's time to bring this puppy back into the spotlight. Unfortunately this game has shot up in price over the past 6 years from $20 to $100 cart only. If you have $100 to spare or find it for a good deal, it is easily one of my top 5 GBA games and is well worth the money.

Boktai is a great game. Everyone should look it up. Vampire hunting, a solar gun, tons of great puzzles. What more could you want? The gimmick it uses is a built in solar sensor on the game's cartridge. Most people think you need to be outside or have a blacklight to play this game but that's not 100% true. If you're like me, you don't have much free time to play, especially outside, and most of my free time is at night, which led me to finding these loopholes.

LOOPHOLES

There are 2 loopholes for gathering energy for your main weapon, the gun del sol, without being outside in the sunlight or using a blacklight.

1) Go to an area in the game and harvest solar nuts by beating enemies and opening treasure chests. Once you have 30 or so solar nuts, you can comfortably move through any level. Each solar nut replenishes some energy for your gun del sol.

2) The other way to get energy is by using the luna lens as your weapon. When you use the luna lens, you don't use any energy, so you can use the luna lens near those green crystals that sparkle to reveal orange, green, or black fairies. The orange ones give you energy for your gun del sol, so you can get your gun del sol's battery completely filled up without using any energy. 

I should note you WILL need sunlight or a blacklight to beat the final bosses on levels when you have to lock them away with the pile driver, however 99% of this game can actually be played from the comfort of inside your home. So play up to the end of a boss battle and charge your SP and in the morning go outside and finish the battle.

What are you waiting for? Go look up this awesome game and enjoy it! 

Edited by Makar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ifightdragons said:

Here you go, patches that fix the entire Boktai trilogy:

https://github.com/Prof9/Boktai-Solar-Sensor-Patches

They're good games, but this is really the only convenient to play them.

Wow didn't even know that was a thing. I guess that's another way to not play in the sun lol.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

very, very true we gave him shit in discord last night for even suggesting this game 🤣

Lol that you did. Watch, a week from now there will be a news headline saying "Gamers Get Got. Gaming thread causes a literal massive gamer meltdown"

Wear sunscreen guys!!! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

Here you go, patches that fix the entire Boktai trilogy:

https://github.com/Prof9/Boktai-Solar-Sensor-Patches

They're good games, but this is really the only convenient to play them.

Thanks! I was afraid for a second that I would need to get some sun for the first time in over 3 months. My streak continues..

• Haha 1