IGNORED

Do I need to worry about third party Switch docks bricking my console?

My Switch dock is in my game room. I've thought about getting another one for the living room for the rare occasions that my wife and I might find time to play a game together at night. However, for how often it'll get used, I'd rather buy something cheap. So two questions:

1. Is there still a legit concern about third party docks bricking systems?

B. Can you recommend a cheap dock?

Homebrew Team · Posted

I agree with @ChickenTendas, the safe route is to only use OEM products for anything electrical.  That said, I backed the Genki Covert Dock and have been using it for two weeks now.  It is not cheap though.  I don't have any technical 3rd party testing, or any long term personal testing, however it has been okay thus far.  At your own risk I guess:

I can't find the article, but I heard about this question/issue about a year ago.  From a reputable source, the answer was "it shouldn't affect it" because it's suppose to just be a USB-C port, but due to some slightly improper engineering, the resistance on the power line was either high or low, but barely within the correct value for USB-C.  This meant that a well engineered dock should be ok, but since most/all third party docs make money by cutting corners, a dock could still be within "USB-C" spec, but still cause issues overloading the system.

Please note, I have a novice understanding of electronics. I know ChickenTendas mentioned this being a voltage issue and if his details are from a solid source, they are likely correct. But, I distinctly recall reading that when third party "lookers" dissected and analyzed these things, they found that Nintendo made a minor mistake and they simply engineered all of their other components to both comply with the device error, while at the same time operating within the USB-C spec as power cables and such, without breaking the spec.  Meaning, you can use a Nintendo charging cable on your iPhone, but you probably wouldn't want to use that iPhone cable and charger on the Switch.

I don't think it was intentional, or failure by design, but it was probably a minor flaw kept for the sake of convenience.  You basically have to buy an OEM dock if you want to be 100% sure you're not going to brick your device.

• Like 1