IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Contra Force

BeaIank

30 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They're so stoned that the slowdown is like normal speed to them.

Maybe thats why I wasn't able to get anywhere when I played some Monday. Ill throw down 6 or 7 bud lights before giving it a go tonight. Maybe I can slow my reaction speed to fit with the slow speed of the game...

I've tried that plan in various other contexts though and I don't think its ever worked with anything that isn't pool or golf. 

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Maybe thats why I wasn't able to get anywhere when I played some Monday. Ill throw down 6 or 7 bud lights before giving it a go tonight. Maybe I can slow my reaction speed to fit with the slow speed of the game...

I've tried that plan in various other contexts though and I don't think its ever worked with anything that isn't pool or golf. 

The slowdown isn't as bad as when the screen randomly stops scrolling and you have to back up to get it to scroll forward only to get killed by whatever was on the other side. It wouldn't be all that hard to beat this on one life if the game actually worked correctly.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Are we playing this after Recca so that we can contrast one of the fastest NES games with the slowest NES game? And why the fuck is this game so slow?  It's not really even slowdown because it's slow no matter what is happening on screen.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Are we playing this after Recca so that we can contrast one of the fastest NES games with the slowest NES game? And why the fuck is this game so slow?  It's not really even slowdown because it's slow no matter what is happening on screen.

I looked at a video for a few min at work. I could see it go from its regular horribly slow pace to a near frozen state and back. Doubt ill have the patience for it. Im not great at shooters, but recca was quick and fun. Could have played that for another week. I love platformers, but this thing is slower than swamp thing. 

Edit: on second look, it isn't slower than swamp thing. Id still bury that cart before this one. 

Edited by NESfiend

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

It doesn't help, i tried last night.......of course it could be that i had more than 6 or 7 drinks, but i dont know..........

Edit:  I really wanted to like this game, but i dont 🤣

Edited by Jeevan

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

It's not slow, it's just giving you time to take in all of the intense action!

48 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

All of us bitching about the game. Thats how the mario bros thread started. I ended up liking that and six people rolled the score. 

Possible. I already am wondering how far I can get, even though I don't want to play it (yet, strangely, I DO!)....? 🤔

I feel like we should put a team together to analyze and potentially optimize the code efficiency. If we can make it run more smoothly, it'd probably be awesome. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

Possible. I already am wondering how far I can get, even though I don't want to play it (yet, strangely, I DO!)....? 🤔

I feel like we should put a team together to analyze and potentially optimize the code efficiency. If we can make it run more smoothly, it'd probably be awesome. 

I wasn't super serious, but did think this to be a neat thing to poke at. After some reading, this seems quite unlikely, especially considering the architecture in question. I do wonder if there is simply a really shitty performance bug in this game that could be fixed by an expert in 6502. 

Just now, ninjistar said:

I wasn't super serious, but did think this to be a neat thing to poke at. After some reading, this seems quite unlikely, especially considering the architecture in question. I do wonder if there is simply a really shitty performance bug in this game that could be fixed by an expert in 6502. 

When I went on youtube, there was a video marked something like 'contra force no slowdown.' I assumed someone altered code to fix that. 

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

When I went on youtube, there was a video marked something like 'contra force no slowdown.' I assumed someone altered code to fix that. 

Found it.  It says "An overclock setting was used to prevent slowdown.". So if you are emulating, this might be an option? Although that is probably outside of the rules...

1 hour ago, ninjistar said:

Found it.  It says "An overclock setting was used to prevent slowdown.". So if you are emulating, this might be an option? Although that is probably outside of the rules...

It better be outside of the rules. If I have to suffer the slowdown, so do you! Lol

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted

Im not gonna lie, i really want to like this game, but damn if it just isn't a broken game........i havent beaten 2k yet, but that might be because i was a little fuzzy headed 🤣 but seriuosly, if that would fix it i might try to get into it after the contest because it seems like it could be decent if it didnt have all the issues

I was thinking I’d cruise through this having knocked it off for the contest earlier this year but after a half hour I still haven’t passed stage 1 😆. I seem to have retained nothing of value. I will take a closer look at it Friday or Saturday. For now I am trying to finish R-Type on the PC Engine mini.

2 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

I was thinking I’d cruise through this having knocked it off for the contest earlier this year but after a half hour I still haven’t passed stage 1 😆. I seem to have retained nothing of value. I will take a closer look at it Friday or Saturday. For now I am trying to finish R-Type on the PC Engine mini.

I made it through stage 1 without any trouble, but it was like I couldn't remember what to do after that. I went ahead and finished out the game and I couldn't remember anything after stage 2.