IGNORED

What other contests should there be?

Makar

3 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Can we weave in the occasional short contest.  A lot of these challenges and competitions could make nice invitationals.  Just spend a weekend on a game or something without the year long scoring etc.  Might be a better fit for some of us who won't commit to the larger event.

I think this is a much better format imo. Have some popular game (or not popular but popular might be better initially) played at a certain time(s) of the year, have sign ups ahead of time, maybe even have a prize. Then compete for a day or week or so, and the top score or fastest time or whatever wins. 

You could even have something like a small cup. For example, have people play 4 phone games. Each one is worth 25% of the total score. 1st place in a game could get 10pts. Add up the points for where you places in all 4 games, most points wins the cup. 

I think this could work alongside the NES weekly challenges because I know a lot of people don't have a year to dedicate to a competition. Heck most don't even have a week.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Can we weave in the occasional short contest.  A lot of these challenges and competitions could make nice invitationals.  Just spend a weekend on a game or something without the year long scoring etc.  Might be a better fit for some of us who won't commit to the larger event.

This is the sort of thing I'm personally looking to add. We may consider taking on more event team people to not overwork the existing contest runners. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

This is the sort of thing I'm personally looking to add. We may consider taking on more event team people to not overwork the existing contest runners. 

That's great to hear. Nintendo has done this sort of thing with weekend splatfest and Mario Kart 8 tournaments.  It seems like a great format.

Now I just want to race an OOT randomizer.  Who can beat my 20 hour time?  I'm bad at routing...

Edited by zeppelin03

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2020 at 11:10 PM, Red said:

I've been running weekly contests for the past 3 years during the NES contest's off-season.  2017/2018 and 2018/2019 were Sega Master System and 2019/2020 was Game Boy.  I'd like to do that again this year.  I'm not sure which system I'm going to do though.  I had considered doing a N64 one before and planned out which games would be included, but my N64 collection was (and still is) pretty small, so there were some popular games that would probably work well that were missing.  I thought it would be better if someone more experienced with the system ran it.  I think Vectrex or Virtual Boy could be fun, but since they're not very popular systems, I wouldn't expect much participation.  Right now I'm leaning towards doing Game Boy again, but adding GBC and/or GBA games into the mix.  

It's getting closer to the time of the year I'd like to start this and now I'm leaning towards making it a Virtual Boy contest.  I looked over some potential games and, despite the small library, a 10 week competition seems doable.  Any interest in this?

On 10/30/2020 at 9:21 PM, Red said:

It's getting closer to the time of the year I'd like to start this and now I'm leaning towards making it a Virtual Boy contest.  I looked over some potential games and, despite the small library, a 10 week competition seems doable.  Any interest in this?

I'd be interested.  I don't currently have a fully working VB, but I just got the parts to consolize one.  Not very confident in my soldering skills.  I guess emulation would work too.  Haven't tried VB emulation though.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:10 PM, Red said:

I had considered doing a N64 one before

Id be way into this. As far as someone running it, I happen to know that @Jeevan weirdo is an n64 enthusiast. He could run it. Lot of great commons for 64 to choose from too, so plenty of us would have easier access than sega master system or virtual boy. Even if it were quite half assedly done every other week, it would be fun

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Splain said:

If there is a Virtual Boy contest, I will absolutely participate, despite having no time to be able to actually chalk up any kind of decent score. But I have all the USA games, and when else am I going to see a 10-week VB contest anywhere???

Literally nowhere. 

On 10/30/2020 at 11:21 PM, Red said:

I'm very interested in participating in this

Hmm, only three people showing interest.  That's not a lot.  Although, my post probably would have been more visible if I made a new thread instead of posting here.  Oh well, I think I'll go for it anyway.  It can't go worse than my second Sega Master System competition.  At least, I don't think it can.

On 11/2/2020 at 10:22 PM, NESfiend said:

Id be way into this. As far as someone running it, I happen to know that @Jeevan weirdo is an n64 enthusiast. He could run it. Lot of great commons for 64 to choose from too, so plenty of us would have easier access than sega master system or virtual boy. Even if it were quite half assedly done every other week, it would be fun

N64 was kinda my backup plan.  As I've mentioned before, my N64 collection isn't that big, so I might not be the best person to run it, but I think I wound up putting together a pretty good lineup of games.  Only one of the ten is not that well known and only one is a game I don't own.  I like to only include games I own so I could test out different rule sets and check for any issues the rule sets may have.  It's a popular enough game that I think I would be able to find any information I need on it online though.  Maybe if no one else runs one, I could give it a go at a later date.

On 11/2/2020 at 2:02 AM, bertsampson said:

I'd be interested.  I don't currently have a fully working VB, but I just got the parts to consolize one.  Not very confident in my soldering skills.  I guess emulation would work too.  Haven't tried VB emulation though.

I'm under the impression that VB emulation is decent nowadays, but I'm not certain. While I like to see people using original hardware/software in these contests, I realize that requiring it would kill participation.

3 hours ago, Red said:

I'm under the impression that VB emulation is decent nowadays, but I'm not certain. While I like to see people using original hardware/software in these contests, I realize that requiring it would kill participation.

Yes, I believe that VB emulation is pretty good.  Much easier to capture a photo as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone interested in an OG Game Boy competition?  Bonus points for people who post scores on unmodded, OG DMGs (PILs included)?  Haha... maybe.  Ghosting and green screens was part of the original experience for most of us, so why not?

Anyway, I might need a buddy to assist in managing it if I even get to forming it but a handheld competition could be nice.

I will say that if another weekly competition gets kicked off, even if it's not the GB, it'd be nice to have systems/games with a low barrier of obtainable play.  What I mean is, it needs the system an games needs to have accessible ROMs and solid emulators.  I prefer to game on OG hardware and with an original game, but we can't all flood the markets the weeks ahead for random copies of games.

I'm really enjoying the NES weekly contests, but unfortunately so far, about 75% of the games we've played I don't own.  I'm sure that's a common experience.

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, RH said:

Anyone interested in an OG Game Boy competition?  Bonus points for people who post scores on unmodded, OG DMGs (PILs included)?  Haha... maybe.  Ghosting and green screens was part of the original experience for most of us, so why not?

Anyway, I might need a buddy to assist in managing it if I even get to forming it but a handheld competition could be nice.

I will say that if another weekly competition gets kicked off, even if it's not the GB, it'd be nice to have systems/games with a low barrier of obtainable play.  What I mean is, it needs the system an games needs to have accessible ROMs and solid emulators.  I prefer to game on OG hardware and with an original game, but we can't all flood the markets the weeks ahead for random copies of games.

I'm really enjoying the NES weekly contests, but unfortunately so far, about 75% of the games we've played I don't own.  I'm sure that's a common experience.

I might know a guy 😏  I'll pm u when I get off work.  I might have an idea or 2

1 hour ago, RH said:

When I started playing regularly, @Gloves felt pitty for me and was nice enough to sell me his flash cart for cheap. I didnt think I needed it. I have hundreds of nes carts and figured I could pop in the local shop and grab what I needed weeks I didnt have one. Wrong. Even cheap common stuff isnt available when you need it. And that was before Famicom exclusives started getting thrown in the mix. Now its even more necessary. 

I highly recommend getting a flash cart. You can load everything on it preseason and never have to worry about it week to week. And that part is really fun. Kind of like how the draft of your fantasy football league is the most exciting day even though you arent actually playing yet. I put first half of the season games (and a few later games like the famicoms) when the schedule came out and had a blast exploring them preseason. Ill load the rest over 4th of july or break week. Also nice you dont have to break out expensive carts that you do have. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2021 at 3:30 PM, RH said:

How did I miss this post?

I ran a 10 week Game Boy competition here back in 2019/2020.  It was the most popular of the weekly competitions I ran, so I think another one would do well.  I wanted to make it a requirement for participants to play on an original model Game Boy, but I figured that would  kill participation.  I'm a fan of using original hardware for these competitions and I feel like for the original Game Boy in particular it's a significantly different experience.

While it's not going to be Game Boy again, I'd like to do another 10 week competition at the end of this year.  I'm not sure what system to do yet though.  I kinda want to try Sega Master System again.  I was taking notes on which games could work well for a contest when I was playing a bunch of them for the Beat Every Sega Master System game thread.  Although, participation was very low last time I did Sega Master System, so maybe it's not the best idea.  I still have an outline for a Nintendo 64 contest that I've considered doing in previous years.  Maybe I'll finally do that.  Vectrex or GBC/GBA (without original GB) are possibilities too.

• 1 year later...

I don't know how the concept could be turned into a contest, but I think a fun challenge of sorts would be to delve into a game company that you'd otherwise avoid.

I've recently been playing the Wii U and Switch a lot, and as you can imagine there aren't a lot of options on the Wii U. I've been delving into Ubisoft's catalog of Wii U games, since they supported the systems surprisingly well. It's a company I've always avoided as I hear nothing but bad things about them, but their Wii U games at least have been surprisingly fun. I know I'm late to the party, but the Just Dance series is something I'm shocked I'm now enjoying, and Rayman Legends is just incredible.

It'd be hard to turn it into some sort of contest, but the idea of opening your horizons to other companies might be a fun idea to explore somehow.

Maybe if it was something users signed up for, listed their company of choice, and then were paired up with other members to select the game the other has to play. If both sides of the exchange finish their game, then they're winners and are put into the winners draw for the prize. This would ensure that teammates wouldn't troll each other with awful games, as both members need to finish their game to be entered into the draw. Extra entries into the draw could be made should both members finish multiple games. So if a team of two both finish two games, they get two entries into the draw.

This might all be pretty hard to co-ordinate and would probably need more than a week, but it's just an idea. 🙂