IGNORED

Majora’s Mask

Foochie776

Administrator · Posted

Moved to The Gauntlet; the Guides, Analysis and Reviews section is more for if you are posting one of those. If you just want peoples' opinions on a game The Gauntlet is the place.

As for the game itself I'm too biased, as it's one of my favorite games, like top 3. 

What do you think you're unsure of?

• Like 1

I'm currently playing through MM on 3DS along with a few other games.  So far it has been a love/hate experience.  The puzzles are just not clicking for me.  A few of the dungeons took longer than expected.  I am working through side stuff and am having mixed results again.  I follow the hints in a way that makes sense to me with maybe 50% success.  I've put it down for a few days because I just get frustrated.  The world and residents are really interesting so I really hope I can see it through. 

Edited by zeppelin03

I'm on the negative side with it.  I've attempted it a few times fresh over the years since it came out, and I just can't stand it.  The abusive time clock laying some pressure down to get so far before you have to skip back or die losing some progress in the game with that effort.  The mask idea was fine to a point, but grossly over used and over played where most of them are just asinine time eating fetch quests for minimal or downright hollow rewards.  The game is small, a central place and 4 dungeons, not very creative, inspired or fun.  The most creative and interesting, if only interesting thing is the mask/skull kid they're cool.

The franchise in all fairness set me off the franchise where I'd blindly trust it for quality, ever since no trust enough not to at least do some basic research, and with some failures to me after that one it put me off the franchise entirely eventually and had BOTW not been fresh and yet another played out re-run I'd have quit.  Honestly I just think majora's mistake has no real redeeming value other than the story which is far more fun to plod through reading the LoZ MM pocket manga which was very well done.

I have pretty much the opposite take on this as Tanooki. It was my favorite of the series until Breath of the Wild and I still go back and forth between the two on any given day.

Alot of people complain about the time mechanic but it seems like people are not using the Inverted Song of Time when they complain. If you don't alter the flow of time then the whole 3 day cycle equates to 54 mins of real time. Which is pushing it especially if you don't already know what your doing. BUT! using the Inverted Song of Time makes the cycle 3hrs long in real time. I don't know about most people but even as a kid that was more than enough for me to accomplish something major like a temple or quest and then go back in time to save. So I don't know why everyone is so hard on the clock. 

The choice to have the world revolve around Clock Town I thought was a good choice. The place becomes very familiar and getting to any given area is a simple as a cardinal direction. I never got the feeling of being lost if I wanted to go back to the town or different area. 

I was always big on the Catch'em All aspect of Pokemon and the mask collecting in the game scratches that same itch, and I would say most of the masks are only a reward for doing a task/sidequest but that's kinda the whole point of the game. To interact with almost every character in some way and get their backstory. It makes the whole experience a bit more intimate than dealing with NPC's in other games.  

This is one of the few zelda games I never did beat. When I played it at a friend's house years ago, I found the traveling back in time aspect to be extremely annoying. I do need to give it another go now though. Except I have far too many games in my backlog. Wargroove, fire emblem three houses, Pokemon sword, Luigi's Mansion 3, 

It’s ok at best. Not one I particularly plan on ever playing again. Zelda games have multiple gameplay components, most simply stated as: combat, exploration, and puzzles. Puzzles are my least favorite, and they figure very heavily in MM. I try to avoid using walkthroughs, and needed them many times to get though it. 

5 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

more than enough for me to accomplish something major like a temple or quest

And iirc time doesn’t progress while you’re in a temple?

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Link said:

It’s ok at best. Not one I particularly plan on ever playing again. Zelda games have multiple gameplay components, most simply stated as: combat, exploration, and puzzles. Puzzles are my least favorite, and they figure very heavily in MM. I try to avoid using walkthroughs, and needed them many times to get though it. 

And iirc time doesn’t progress while you’re in a temple?

Time does progress while in temples. It'd kind of defeat the tension if going into them stopped the clock lol.

I got both OOT and MM on their respective launch days.

Being a massive OOT fanboi, it was hard to like it better for a long time. 20 years later, it's aged much better than its predecessor. The time challenge is a unique element that stands out to this day, and you actually learn to work with it to your advantage by the end IMHO.

I'd give MM 9.95/10, and OOT 9.90/10 as of this date today.  

• Wow! 1

I tend to not let other people's opinions determine whether I will choose to play or not play a game. This title has been on my back log for so many years. I've met so many people with such polarizing opinions and even the people I know well and trust can't agree on if it's a great game or a bad one. Because of that, it's been low on my back log since release.

I just need to boot up the dern thing and see what all the fuss is about. Good or bad.

I have Majora's Mask for my GameCube in Zelda: Collector's Edition, but haven't played it in a while. I do like the game, it's just that I'm currently playing through other Zelda games such as Link's Awakening DX and Ocarina of Time. I also really need to get back into playing other games, such as StarTropics, Wario Land 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mega Man 11.

Edited by MegaMan52

The ONLY main series Zelda I truly did not enjoy to play :(.  The time functionality was an exhausting distraction from the usual Zelda formula.

The 3DS version has some luxuries that make it easier to save and manage things.

It isn't to be misinterpreted as a bad/broken game, the Zelda charm is still there, just under covers a bit. 

Felt good to complete it.  Afterwards I played through Wind Waker and had a blast comparatively.

Editorials Team · Posted

I remember renting it as a kid and hating it. I got stuck early on, time ran out, and I had no desire to repeat everything again to where I got stuck. Felt like losing a save file or forgetting to save and dying in an RPG, it's no fun at all to repeat stuff you've already done. Then for years after that I thought it was a weird, unfinished thing that was too demanding with the time pressure.

When it came out for 3DS I gave it another shot. It followed the same pattern as every Zelda game (for me anyway) Where I have to force myself to stick with it for a couple hours, then it sucks me in. I breezed past the spot where I got stuck as a kid. Yeah, it was still a bummer when I didn't figure out the water dungeon in time and had to start over, but by then I was hooked. I like the side quests and figuring out where you need to be at what times, it's like Groundhog Day. Very rewarding when you get stuff right. Especially that one huge side quest that takes basically all 3 days.

So I recommend at least giving it a couple hours before you shelf it.

Editorials Team · Posted

Also, in other Zelda games I do dumb stuff like preserve my arrows and bombs in case I ever need them, and end up using absolutely no arrows or bombs unless they're part of solving a puzzle. In Majora, hey, they're all going away anyway, if you get them then use them! So it really felt unique in that way.

Also it has a part where you have to fight off aliens before they abduct a bunch of cows, what other Zelda game lets you do that? Hmmm?

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Your playing the 3ds one? There was no fishing in the N64 original.

Actually played the N64 one back in the day and completed that one.. I just restarted it on 3DS about a month ago, only finished 2nd dungeon..

I googled where to find the fairies in dungeon 1 this time (no time these days with kids and all), and found out about the fishing game.. didn’t recall doing that back in the day, I guess because it wasn’t even in the game 🙂

2 hours ago, Splain said:

Also, in other Zelda games I do dumb stuff like preserve my arrows and bombs in case I ever need them, and end up using absolutely no arrows or bombs unless they're part of solving a puzzle. In Majora, hey, they're all going away anyway, if you get them then use them! So it really felt unique in that way.

Also it has a part where you have to fight off aliens before they abduct a bunch of cows, what other Zelda game lets you do that? Hmmm?

I ,too, am guilty of this.

Edited by RH