IGNORED

RGB MOD NES Random power loss.

docile tapeworm

i paid to have my nes rgb mod. it randomly losses power completly. sometimes it will run for 5 min or it could run for hours but it always does it. 

complete loss of power no power light, nothing. after it loses power it wont power up. i have to wait (usually the next day) before it will power on again.

Edited by 42 foot tapeworm

6 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

Is it a normal or top loader? I have the same problem with my top loader. Never have figured it out. Even after replacing most stuff on the board, chips, caps, and whatnot. 

its a frontloader. damn, thats not good news lol. i wonder what it is?... 

thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

i paid to have my nes rgb mod. it randomly losses power completly. sometimes it will run for 5 min or it could run for hours but it always does it. 

complete loss of power no power light, nothing. after it loses power it wont power up. i have to wait (usually the next day) before it will power on again.

a guy from NA ("monitor") did the mod. i sent it back to him and he said he replace a part but it still has the same issue. im kinda done with it. the mod cost $200+. i just dont feel like telling the guy hey its still not working. this is like a 6 month time span from asking about the mod until now.

For $200+ you bet your ass I would.   It's not like you're nitpicking over something silly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Lots of interesting in points in this thread about your issue:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65698

I would definitely be sending it back to the person I paid good money to have the mod done.

It’s probably just that Florida heat though 🙂

just to clear things up. i wouldnt mind sending it back again. but when i got it back the forst time i played it for a few hours a couple times and it seemed ok so i told the guy its all good. it started acting up again a fee days later and i never said anything, that was 2-3 months ago 😕 

• Like 1

It could be missing since you said you played it for awhile and it’s just now acting up, the extra voltage pulling from the power supply may be finally burning out the power supply. I have exactly zero experience with that mod but it sounds logical. 

pics of regulator seem to be here

05a-contents_large.jpg

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Thanks 1

I have two guesses: either the power supply isn't adequate or the 7805 is heating up and is going into thermal shutdown. Other than that maybe capacitors are an issue. Be careful with aftermarket power supplies, some of them are pretty bad and will not run it well. Overall, in terms of power there isn't much to the NES, so it should be easy to narrow down.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Also, are you using the original power brick or an aftermarket?

55 minutes ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

I have two guesses: either the power supply isn't adequate or the 7805 is heating up and is going into thermal shutdown. Other than that maybe capacitors are an issue. Be careful with aftermarket power supplies, some of them are pretty bad and will not run it well. Overall, in terms of power there isn't much to the NES, so it should be easy to narrow down.

im using an aftermarket power supply suggested by the seller. can i just remove the top shell, heat sheild and throw a fan on it?

A521AD68-FD73-4DC9-B3C1-E99D76B758B6.jpeg

F9A09C87-E33B-43F2-BC25-3419A94B28C7.jpeg

17 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

im using an aftermarket power supply suggested by the seller. can i just remove the top shell, heat sheild and throw a fan on it?

A521AD68-FD73-4DC9-B3C1-E99D76B758B6.jpeg

F9A09C87-E33B-43F2-BC25-3419A94B28C7.jpeg

The supply should be adequate assuming it didn't crap the bed. I dont think that you need to put a fan, but maybe consider replacing the 7805 with a 78s05 as it is a more efficient regulator. First I would figure out whether or not that is the problem though. Pull the top lid of and wait for it to shut off and if it is hot to the touch, then it should be replaced.

Just as a note, some people actually remove the heat sink off the regulator. If that was done, that could be the cause. But anyway, I think it's a heat issue, perhaps try another power brick, the original included power supply should be adequate from what I read, although I have never messed with any rgb mods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

hopefully this helps @42 foot tapeworm 🙂   haha, i may not know anything about what they are talking about, but i know people who do 🤣  on a side note i tried to @ skinnygrinny and not the 42 username 😉 

thank you! i will see if this info can help me out. haha its a inner struggle deciding between thw two names.

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
13 hours ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

a guy from NA ("monitor") did the mod. i sent it back to him and he said he replace a part but it still has the same issue. im kinda done with it. the mod cost $200+. i just dont feel like telling the guy hey its still not working. this is like a 6 month time span from asking about the mod until now.

@CMR    name of modder there

Edited by Jeevan

On 6/17/2020 at 9:06 PM, CMR said:

Do you care to tell us who did the mod, and what method they used?  (i.e. replacing the PPU with a playchoice 10 chip or Tim Worthington's board)

i dont mean to say anything negative about the person who did the mod. not that you asked. i just wanted to make that clear as well. 

here are some pics. that heat sink gets warm i wouldnt say its hot... almost hot but not to hot to touch. 

also it lost power earlier and i just left the power button pushed in and it eventually came back on. maybe the switch is bad?

25D0ABE4-8176-45AA-9F49-3D24FBC3C097.jpeg

0B27001F-F19D-4060-9509-11D580C230E3.jpeg

9B8D89B7-3902-49D4-A794-C8143DA4A177.jpeg

0B303A4E-7338-4C56-A111-F8A7E1EE987F.jpeg

23 hours ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

i dont mean to say anything negative about the person who did the mod. not that you asked. i just wanted to make that clear as well. 

here are some pics. that heat sink gets warm i wouldnt say its hot... almost hot but not to hot to touch. 

also it lost power earlier and i just left the power button pushed in and it eventually came back on. maybe the switch is bad?

That's cool, I wasn't trying to out the modder or give them flack either.  I just thought if I knew who did it then I would have a better idea of what method they used and that might make it easier to figure out what is going wrong.   It sounds like a cold or cracked solder joint somewhere to me.  From the way you describe it. it seems like something is heating up, expanding, and a connection is separating somewhere.  Then, after it cools back down, the connection is restored and everything works.  If you think it's the switch you could just put a jumper across the points that the power passes through on the switch's connector and plug the machine in and let it run to see if this fixes it.  The best way would probably be to pull the board from the system and run it till it shuts off, then test with meter to see where power is no longer flowing and follow that line back to the source.

• Thanks 1