IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Recca

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome ladies and gentlemen!
We, the weekly contest team proudly present a brand new adventure!
Our skilled players will tackle a game never seen before in our ventures.
This week they will show their shoot 'em up skills at the FAST PACED RECCA!

The rules for this week are very simple:

• Play normal mode
  • Play till game over
  • If you beat the game, take your picture during the credits, where it shows your score, hi-score and time.
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Shooter

May the best pilot come up on top!

The contest ends Sunday, 06/21/20 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

2049159291_SageReccaGIF.gif.2522f4419b11

• Like 5

Events Team · Posted
1st Kid Dracula 5,397,143
2nd bertsampson 4,420,593
3rd VegaVegas 3,813,692
4th skinnygrinny 3,723,026
5th nesmaster14 3,497,900
6th BriGuy82 2,131,169
7th ninjistar 1,606,432
8th Gaia Gensouki 1,460,790
9th Bearcat-Doug 1,302,538
10th NESfiend 1,279,977
11th MeganJoanne 1,133,713
12th Richardhead 872,993
13th 0xDEAFC0DE 861,826
14th arnpoly 850,216
15th Jeevan 831,142
16th mbd39 801,567
17th Deadeye 720,272
18th Ausden 576,148
19th JamesRobot 553,542

Try out all the powerups and find one you like. A few work better in certain situations (some work better on swarms, some cover behind you better, etc.) One of the "sidecar" powerups is better than the others, I'll let you discover which if you haven't already. 😉 The charge bomb is not only good for clearing enemies and hitting bosses, it's also a good projectile shield, especially for the (well, by NES standards) bullet hell situations. Also, the select button speeds you up. 🙂

I have more specific hints, but I don't want to post spoilers. The game has a lot of fun surprises.

Edited by Tulpa

15 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Try out all the powerups and find one you like. A few work better in certain situations (some work better on swarms, some cover behind you better, etc.) One of the "sidecar" powerups is better than the others, I'll let you discover which if you haven't already. 😉 The charge bomb is not only good for clearing enemies and hitting bosses, it's also a good projectile shield, especially for the (well, by NES standards) bullet hell situations. Also, the select button speeds you up. 🙂

The spread shot/seeker cannon combination seemed to work well for me. I'm not sure if that's the best, but that's what I had on the run I posted my score from.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Just now, DoctorEncore said:

I just went to eBay to see if I could pick up a Famicom cart and this bad boy is not cheap. Guess I'll have to emulate for now.

You can find reproduction NES carts for cheap. The Famicom version was a contest/limited release cartridge, so it's sort of rare (though not exceptionally rare.)
I'd love to have one, but alas... 😞

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The spread shot/seeker cannon combination seemed to work well for me. I'm not sure if that's the best combination, but that's what I had on the run I posted my score from.

I honestly don't think there is a best combination, as I switch them up a few times. Seeker cannon sidecar is definitely a bit overpowered compared to the others. I'm a little surprised it was allowed, though since everyone can snag it I guess it's not a big thing.

8 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You can find reproduction NES carts for cheap. The Famicom version was a contest/limited release cartridge, so it's sort of rare (though not exceptionally rare.)

Interesting. Considering it was a limited release, it's actually not that bad.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I just went to eBay to see if I could pick up a Famicom cart and this bad boy is not cheap. Guess I'll have to emulate for now.

37 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

28 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Interesting. Considering it was a limited release, it's actually not that bad.

this game, crisis force and over horizon are a few famicom games a would consider buying cib... but they seem to play just fine on my everdrive so its hard to drop the $300(?).

• Like 1

Recca alone is $400, and Over Horizon hovers around $150-$200*. Crisis Force is a comparative bargain at $90 or so. I got mine from a dude in the Ukraine for fairly cheap. All three are so good. 🙂 (Those are loose prices. I have no idea how much CIB would set me back.)

*for Famicom. PAL NES is about $100, still pretty up there.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

this game, crisis force and over horizon are a few famicom games a would consider buying cib... but they seem to play just fine on my everdrive so its hard to drop the $300(?).

Basically, CIB is the only thing I spend money on anymore. It's just tough to justify spending money on loose carts when I can have the entire NES library on one.

Update, didn't have time to play during the week but played a bit this morning:

recca2.thumb.jpeg.28dc7134b93c5e53a3ba4ae847143f5a.jpeg

Gave it a quick go this morning, haven't played in a few years. First attempt 6/14:

recca1.thumb.jpeg.2fb2788ad268a2a63d81033efb5b12e6.jpeg

Glad to see this game finally make it to the weekly contests, I think I've been waiting since 2009 🙂

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It was the second of the three Naxat Soft shooters for their Summer Carnival (a competitor to Hudson's Summer Caravan.) The other two were Spriggan and Nexzr Special, both for the PC Engine.

I played the hell out of Nexzr when I got my PC Engine Duo a few years ago. Spriggan is also a gem. I have never played Recca despite hearing so many good things about it over the years! This contest also gives me a chance to break this out...wait for it...

• Like 1