IGNORED

First NES Homebrew Games on the Switch

SoleGoose

I actually really like the idea of NES homebrew on Switch. I don't have a Switch personally and have little interest in owning one, but having access to these games on a modern platform would dramatically increase access to them for many people. I tell my friends all the time about these great new NES games, many of whom show great interest but couldn't be bothered to set up an emulator or dust off the NES in the closet if they can simply sit down on the couch and turn on the Switch, pay $5-$10 or whatever and be off and adventuring. 

I doubt the concept would be as appealing to many members here as we're all likely on the same deep dive with retro libraries and hardware, but if expanding the audience for NES Homebrew is the goal, then this is a great step forward 😉

Also, congrats on the release @IBtiM!

I was playing my HH86 cart the week of Halloween and loving it 🙂

21 hours ago, Raftronaut said:

I actually really like the idea of NES homebrew on Switch. I don't have a Switch personally and have little interest in owning one, but having access to these games on a modern platform would dramatically increase access to them for many people. I tell my friends all the time about these great new NES games, many of whom show great interest but couldn't be bothered to set up an emulator or dust off the NES in the closet if they can simply sit down on the couch and turn on the Switch, pay $5-$10 or whatever and be off and adventuring. 

I doubt the concept would be as appealing to many members here as we're all likely on the same deep dive with retro libraries and hardware, but if expanding the audience for NES Homebrew is the goal, then this is a great step forward 😉

Also, congrats on the release @IBtiM!

I was playing my HH86 cart the week of Halloween and loving it 🙂

i totally agree with this. I don't expect someone who wants to play new NES games on original hardware to pick up another copy of the game on Switch, Xbox, Steam, or whatever, but for players who only use modern platforms and still want to play the games, it's a great option.

Edited by toma

On 10/24/2019 at 12:11 PM, gauauu said:

I'm glad they were able to do it (seeing your game run on other platforms is always fun, and it will mean more sales for them, which is great), but conceptually, NES homebrew on the switch it isn't very interesting to me.  I don't know about this particular case, but the Steam versions of these things are usually just a bundled rom+emulator. That's not inherently any more compelling to me than using my existing emulators. (which is why I'll buy a homebrew ROM for $10 but won't buy the steam version for $10 unless the rom is easily extractable)

Haunted Halloween is a well-made game, but what makes it interesting to me is that it's a NES game. The same game on the switch or xbox doesn't add any appeal for me.

This is still getting me thinking. I want to be indignant and say "how dare you sir!" but it is 100% correct for me as a gamer. I really don't have any interest in playing homebrew games on the Switch due to the controller. I'll take an NES controller and a d-pad, along with a ROM and PowerPak, any day of the week (although I'd prefer a true cart).

Steam versions I have zero interest in. Haven't played a PC game since 2003, and don't plan to anytime soon.

That being said, those of us lugging around CRTs are probably in the minority, and getting our stuff to a new audience will tell whether they care about what we're doing or not.

7 hours ago, SoleGoose said:

I don't play the Switch in dock mode, it's handheld or bust for me. Otherwise I'd just break out the cart and console.

Well, the NES and SNES controllers can be attached to the sides for handheld play. If your next quip is that the A and B buttons are oriented wrong, there are adapters to hold the switch controllers horizontal 😛

Edited by erac
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KHAN Games said:

This is such a big deal. I hope everyone here can support them, even if you already own the carts. $10 is a drop in the bucket for most collectors, and it will only encourage more NES games to make the leap to modern consoles.

Are you going to try to get any of your releases on there?

I am also a huge Mega Cat fanboy, so I'll go get Creepy Brawlers too.

14 hours ago, KHAN Games said:

One can hope. 🙂

Just a tip - applying for Xbox One development wasn't a particularly difficult process and the turnaround time seems to be pretty quick. From what I hear, Nintendo tends to hold out on Switch devkits until you've had a game published on a rival platform first. I highly encourage anyone interested in getting more new NES games on Switch to try Xbox One first, just due to ease of access for indie devs.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:05 PM, SoleGoose said:

getting our stuff to a new audience will tell whether they care about what we're doing or not.

Yeah, and I don't want to sound too negative. I think it's really cool that they got published, and when it came down to it, I'd probably wish that I could do the same if I ever release a game. It just doesn't tickle my fancy the way real NES games do.

Edited by gauauu

7 hours ago, gauauu said:

Yeah, and I don't want to sound too negative. I think it's really cool that they got published, and when it came down to it, I'd probably wish that I could do the same if I ever release a game. It just doesn't tickle my fancy the way real NES games do.

Being honest and thoughtful isn't negative. If we can't do that then all conversation is just an ad 😛 . I think that wanting one thing as a gamer and another as a developer is probably to be expected when developing for old platforms that comparatively few have access to.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Haunted: Halloween '86 (NES) - Only $4.99 currently on Nintendo Switch (Spring Sale)

Class is still in session in the depths of Possum Hollow. Can you thwart Harry's battle plans?

Well now you can brush up on your skills for the cost of two school lunches!

Retrotainment Games' Haunted: Halloween '86 - The Curse of Possum Hollow is 1/2 Off in the eShop (only $4.99).

#8BitLegit on the #NintendoSwitch

Grab it in the eShop Today During the Spring Sale!
Cartridges for the NES available 
here.

Thanks For Your Support!SpringSale-Logos-Twitter-1.thumb.png.dab7ab6ceff467a7853c5da9e7e26904.png