IGNORED

Any Advice on Selling Old Basketball Cards?

DoctorEncore

I've got a binder filled with a few hundred basketball cards from the early to mid 90s that I'm trying to get rid of. I'm not trying to make big money and I really don't think they're worth much, but I have no clue how to price them and sell them efficiently. I have at least a few cards of every big name at the time like Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Grant Hill, etc.

Any card collector's here? Anyone recently sell off your collection? I'm guessing a card show would be a good place to start, but that's not happening any time soon and I want to get these things out of here by the end of June. Any advice is much appreciated and I'm happy to provide some pics if that is useful.

June 11th, 2020 UPDATE: Found a buyer here on VGS! Thanks everyone.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Just now, TDIRunner said:

Good luck.  I'll be following to see if you find a good answer.  I'm not actively trying to get rid of mine, but during the times I looked into it, I found that I couldn't give them away.  

Yeah I don’t collect cards but all the recent media seems to point to just giving them away. You could get lucky and have a rare card in there but it takes a ton of time and effort to find them. My grandmother gave me a box of baseball cards from my childhood and it took me forever to go through all them to find my rarest card was worth like $10. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Yeah I don’t collect cards but all the recent media seems to point to just giving them away. You could get lucky and have a rare card in there but it takes a ton of time and effort to find them. My grandmother gave me a box of baseball cards from my childhood and it took me forever to go through all them to find my rarest card was worth like $10. 

That's kind of what I was thinking. A lot of work for very little reward. Seems like a tragedy to just dump them on the side of the road, but who even wants these things?

20 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

seems like a tragedy to just dump them on the side of the road

My thoughts as well.  Mine don't take up too much space.  I just have two of the 10 ream paper boxes full of baseball and basketball cards.  I'm sort of hoping that my son might go through a card phase within the next few years, and I can just give them to him as a starter set.  When little kids start collections, they don't really care what they get.  They just like adding stuff to their collections.  I mean, it's either that or throw them away. 😕

Most cards pre-2000s are pretty much worthless. I collected in the 90s and the only stuff that holds value are the rare inserts of big name players (Kobe, Jordan, Bird). Refractors, autographs, the occasional jersey card. The rest looked cool but are only gonna get you $5-$10 at best. My advice would be to hold onto a handful you like and give the rest away. Maybe you have some young kids in the family that might take a liking to them. If nothing else, Goodwill or post as a $0.99 lot on eBay.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I've got a binder filled with a few hundred basketball cards from the early to mid 90s that I'm trying to get rid of. I'm not trying to make big money and I really don't think they're worth much, but I have no clue how to price them and sell them efficiently. I have at least a few cards of every big name at the time like Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Grant Hill, etc.

Any card collector's here? Anyone recently sell off your collection? I'm guessing a card show would be a good place to start, but that's not happening any time soon and I want to get these things out of here by the end of June. Any advice is much appreciated and I'm happy to provide some pics if that is useful.

You might want to check out the forums at psacard.com for this kind of thing.  BTW I am collecting the insert sets from the early-to-mid 90s for BB/FB/BK.  Do you have any complete insert sets from that era?  I might be interested in those.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. A lot of work for very little reward. Seems like a tragedy to just dump them on the side of the road, but who even wants these things?

Well, let's ask this bridge keeper what he might say...