IGNORED

Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020-Game 6: Shmup Speed

Scrobins

Moderator · Posted

Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020 - Game 6: Shmup Speed

Play Period: Friday, June 5, 2020 - Sunday, June 21, 2020

Download the rom here at the bottom of the page.

All hail Daddy @Gloves!! In addition to providing this digital roof over our heads, Gloves participates in the Extra Life 24-Hour gaming marathon to raise money for charity, a worthy endeavor he continues every year. Because he's such a straight shooter, for his 2018 outing, Gloves commissioned a unique homebrew: Shmup Speed. This game/tool represents a development dream team: with coding by KHAN Games; design, sprites, and planning by Gloves himself; packaging, manuals, and labels by Sole Goose Productions; carts by SNESNESCUBE64; and music by Thomas Cipollone. Need help improving your enemy-blasting skills? Shmup Speed measures your "presses per second" for a brief period as you mash the hell out of the A & B buttons on your NES controller, or whatever you have handy. Not much of a shooter? That's ok, Shmup Speed is a tool to focus on your finger blasting, so there aren't any enemies to shoot up. Who's got the fastest fingers on VGS? We shall soon see...

Gloves gave 5 CIBs of Shmup Speed to the development team and offered 5 more in an auction on NA. Sadly those are the only legitimate physical copies in existence. But fear not, the Shmup Speed rom is available here.

How to submit your score:

1. Scores shall be submitted by posting a picture to that month’s game thread.  Screenshots of a computer screen (print screen) are not acceptable.

2. The picture must include the entire screen and have your VGS user name within the picture on a piece of paper.   Username can not be added digitally to the picture.

3. Type out your score in bold on your thread post.

4. Scores must be submitted within the posted time frame.

5. Do not submit scores from previous runs.

6. Use one post for your score.  You can submit as many as you like by editing your original post.  You can bump the thread to announce your new score.

Rules:

1. NTSC only, no PAL.  This will create a level playing field and not create differences based on timing.

2. OEM, FPGA, and clone consoles are OKAY.

3. Emulators are OKAY.  Play game at 100% speed.

4. No save states allowed.

5. Flashcarts (i.e. Everdrive / Power Pak) are OKAY.

6. No turbo or slow motion controllers are allowed.

7. No game genie codes.

8. Do not use glitches in the game to boost your score.

shmup speed 1.png

shmup speed 2.png

• Like 4

Moderator · Posted

Shmup Speed Leaderboard

Username               Score                Date

bertsampson           203               6/17/2020

JamesRobot             197               6/17/2020

guillavoie                  189               6/21/2020

Gloves                      183                6/16/2020

BriGuy82                  178               6/10/2020

Bearcat-Doug          173               6/16/2020

Red                           158               6/21/2020

Scrobins                   146               6/5/2020

driveshaft                 119               6/21/2020

ecmyers                   110                6/14/2020

NESfiend                  109               6/13/2020

Ausden                     106               6/18/2020

Deadeye                   103               6/6/2020

• The topic was pinned
Moderator · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Either @bertsampson has never beaten Punch Out or Mike Tyson has been lying to me all this time about never seeing finger speed like mine before. The Track & Field champion @BriGuy82 needs to get in here and give this a try!

Now now I’m sure all 3 of you have excellent finger blasting skills

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Either @bertsampson has never beaten Punch Out or Mike Tyson has been lying to me all this time about never seeing finger speed like mine before. The Track & Field champion @BriGuy82 needs to get in here and give this a try!

If I can figure out how to get this game on my powerpak I'll give it a shot. 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

If I can figure out how to get this game on my powerpak I'll give it a shot. 👍

I just downloaded the ROM from the link in the original post and copied it to my SD card for my Everdrive, so you should be able to figure it out. I wouldn't be surprised if you hit 200 with those Track & Field scores you put up before.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

51 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I just downloaded the ROM from the link in the original post and copied it to my SD card for my Everdrive, so you should be able to figure it out. I wouldn't be surprised if you hit 200 with those Track & Field scores you put up before.

Yeah the only thing that sucks about the powerpak is it's got the compact flash card instead of the sd card. I have to borrow a card reader to load up the rom. Maybe I'll just buy one actually. Looks like they are pretty cheap on Amazon. 

Edited by BriGuy82

14 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah the only thing that sucks about the powerpak is it's got the compact flash card instead of the sd card. I have to borrow a card reader to load up the rom. Maybe I'll just buy one actually. Looks like they are pretty cheap on Amazon. 

I forgot about the PowerPak using a CF card. My Game Boy Everdrive and SNES FXPAK Pro both use Micro SD cards and I'm always forgetting where I put the adapter.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm not sure what beating Mike Tyson has to do with press buttons really fast, but...score update!