Jump to content
IGNORED

The Lion King/Aladdin iam8bit Reproductions


ZBomber
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here we go again...

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/legacy-cartridge-collection/products/the-lion-king-legacy-cartridge-collection

https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/legacy-cartridge-collection/products/aladdin-legacy-cartridge-collection

 

I love both games and I like the packaging for both of them, but I can't get over how much they charge for these.

Edited by ZBomber
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the most ridiculous one yet. Friggin' Aladdin for $100, lol.

There are currently 2 sealed SNES Lion Kings on Ebay for $100. One's pretty banged up. One is kind of decent. Up to 4500 people are going to choose to buy this Funko Pop shelf candy over a real new copy of the original game which is bananas to me.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The most surprising thing to me is the choice of games (from a cost to produce perspective).

Both were staples of the 16 bit era, but how can they afford the licensing for A list Disney properties?

Granted, I know nothing of how the process works to gain a license to things like this, but I’d have to imagine the cost to license something like The Lion King or Aladdin would be astronomical compared to like 99% of the Genesis or SNES library, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MrMark0673 said:

The most surprising thing to me is the choice of games (from a cost to produce perspective).

Both were staples of the 16 bit era, but how can they afford the licensing for A list Disney properties?

Granted, I know nothing of how the process works to gain a license to things like this, but I’d have to imagine the cost to license something like The Lion King or Aladdin would be astronomical compared to like 99% of the Genesis or SNES library, no?

You would think so, but if they are trying to time it from a demand perspective, there is no better time than in a year when Lion King and Aladdin were both remade.  They're trying to appeal to the casual Disney fan here more than the retrogamer who knows these games are dirt cheap.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jonebone said:

You would think so, but if they are trying to time it from a demand perspective, there is no better time than in a year when Lion King and Aladdin were both remade.  They're trying to appeal to the casual Disney fan here more than the retrogamer who knows these games are dirt cheap.  

Zero doubt about that.  Still, wouldn’t that make the license even more expensive if nothing else?

These should sell very well, but Disney should know that, right?  I wonder if they’re paying some sort of per unit royalty or something.

We should invite some of the iam8bit staff to VGS and see if they’d chat about some behind the scenes stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MrMark0673 said:

Zero doubt about that.  Still, wouldn’t that make the license even more expensive if nothing else?

These should sell very well, but Disney should know that, right?  I wonder if they’re paying some sort of per unit royalty or something.

We should invite some of the iam8bit staff to VGS and see if they’d chat about some behind the scenes stuff.

 

What's weird to me is Limited Run Games did reproductions of a bunch of Star Wars games this year and they were much cheaper than these and included more stuff. You could buy the actual carts on the action figure cardbacks from each games' era for $40, or get the big deluxe boxset which included a bunch of extra merch like posters, coins, pins and art cards for $85. Here you get a basic box and manual and a poster(?) and it's even more expensive than the boxset for a STAR WARS game. I'm sure they make less profit off it compared to the Mega Man one, but still seems very overpriced for what it is.

At $45-50 each it's at least a little bit tempting to pick one up because I love both games and the packaging, but at $100 each it's the easiest pass I've had all year (for what it's worth, I'm a chump and huge SW fan so I picked up all the LRG Star Wars titles)

spacer.png

 

With all that said I find it very interesting that Disney is working with these smaller companies on reproductions of classic games. They certainly have the resources and capital to do it themselves. They don't seem to have too much interest in handling video games internally though since they also have a license with EA for new Star Wars games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...