IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Donkey Kong

BeaIank

Yeah, I tried to figure out that ladder glitch for an hour tonight. Executed it zero times. Broke halfway through to see what I'm doing differently from a few videos of it I found. No clue. I'll be getting my participation score up at some point. Trying to get good at this is every bit as enjoyable as watching Billy Mitchell hawk hot sauce. I'm think I'm done

Just now, NESfiend said:

Yeah, I tried to figure out that ladder glitch for an hour tonight. Executed it zero times. Broke halfway through to see what I'm doing differently from a few videos of it I found. No clue. 

I did the same. In about an hour I managed to get it twice on black box and not once on classics 

Graphics Team · Posted

Okay, so here's the method I've worked-out to consistently get the ladder-trick to work:

Spoiler

Go to the 5th tier of the girders (second from the top) and position Jumpman over the broken-ladder to the far right.

Don't stand directly over the ladder, though - stay slightly to the left (pictures included for exact positioning - I like to line up Jumpman's right toe with the ladder's left rung).

Once you're in position, just wait there for the barrels to come, and jump straight up whenever one rolls at you. If the barrel goes down the broken ladder, you should get a ton of points. If it doesn't work, try finessing your position. 

Good luck!

-CasualCart

image.png.2cbfda7da87d0c86952b3d84b5ca9c22.png

image.png.67e1e14fdc8309e97e2ad4d8d227b286.png

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Okay, so here's the method I've worked-out to consistently get the ladder-trick to work:

Hide contents

Go to the 5th tier of the girders (second from the top) and position Jumpman over the broken-ladder to the far right.

Don't stand directly over the ladder, though - stay slightly to the left (pictures included for exact positioning - I like to line up Jumpman's right toe with the ladder's left rung).

Once you're in position, just wait there for the barrels to come, and jump straight up whenever one rolls at you. If the barrel goes down the broken ladder, you should get a ton of points. If it doesn't work, try finessing your position. 

Good luck!

-CasualCart

image.png.2cbfda7da87d0c86952b3d84b5ca9c22.png

image.png.67e1e14fdc8309e97e2ad4d8d227b286.png

I always just get 100 points. Trick doesn't work. 😭

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I always use the top right ladder, but I've never tried any of the other ones to see if it makes a difference.

The one he is using is the one I had seen in a video where someone is doing it over and over again consistently. He finishes level over 35k. 

Thanks for posting a clear instruction, @CasualCart. Now I have to try again! Doubt it ends well. I was using the same ladder you were and tried from all different angles. Some people have the barrell skills and some don't. I dont. 

Just now, NESfiend said:

The one he is using is the one I had seen in a video where someone is doing it over and over again consistently. He finishes level over 35k. 

Thanks for posting a clear instruction, @CasualCart. Now I have to try again! Doubt it ends well. I was using the same ladder you were and tried from all different angles. Some people have the barrell skills and some don't. I dont. 

I usually get around 35k so it's probably about the same no matter what ladder you use. I just use the top right one because it's the closest to the end so I can get the most chances before the timer gets too low.

29 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

What video? I'd like to see this trick in action because I can't get it to work at all.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This video was posted on page 2. You can see how to do the ladder trick around the 4:00 mark.

Oh, it still only shows 100 points but more points are added to your score. That might be why I thought it didn't work. I'll try again.