IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Donkey Kong

BeaIank

On 5/17/2020 at 9:57 PM, rdrunner said:

Can't help but ask: Are you guys playing with or without barrel jumping glitches?  Ex: Stand above ladder, jump straight up as barrel drops down it, get thousands of points.

Are you going to put up a score this week? I'm interested to see what the max is for 9 rounds using the barrel trick.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I was really hoping to break 100k, but this might be as good as it gets for me haha. Would anyone care to explain how to do that ladder-trick? It sounds like a solid way to rack up points before things speed up so much in the later levels.

-CasualCart

704221099_CasualCartDonkeyKong097800.jpg.e2f807f3b738db2958886a453b97f349.jpg

4 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I was really hoping to break 100k, but this might be as good as it gets for me haha. Would anyone care to explain how to do that ladder-trick? It sounds like a solid way to rack up points before things speed up so much in the later levels.

-CasualCart

Without giving it away completely, there's a way to jump over barrels on the first screen while they are going down the ladder that gives you multiple bonus points instead of the standard 100.

Graphics Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Without giving it away completely, there's a way to jump over barrels on the first screen while they are going down the ladder that gives you multiple bonus points instead of the standard 100.

Cool, thanks! I'll have to try and figure that out!

-CasualCart

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

i never have figured it out. i mean, i try every oppurtunity i get and sometimes i get the cha ching but 7 out of 10 times i try it nothing happens lol

3 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

i never have figured it out. i mean, i try every oppurtunity i get and sometimes i get the cha ching but 7 out of 10 times i try it nothing happens lol

I haven't played in a few months, but I used to be able to get 35k-40k on the first stage of each round alone. 

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Secrets, secrets, are no fun

Here is a nice video to expose this one

Watch it and practice and you may see

Your score soar high, past skinnygrinny

I have no time this week to realistically get somewhere, but hopefully this helps someone! The glitch is covered starting at 3:40

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried to find a video of the barrel trick, but all of the ones I watched were of the ladder glitch where you can climb through the bottom of the screen and come out at the top.

All I was getting at first too. Had to change up search terms a handful of times to find that. I'm sure there's way more to it than this little intro i.e. figuring out which ladders they tend to go down most. But seeing it on Tuesday should give @CasualCart and some others a shot at scoring big with 5 days practice. 

Just now, NESfiend said:

All I was getting at first too. Had to change up search terms a handful of times to find that. I'm sure there's way more to it than this little intro i.e. figuring out which ladders they tend to go down most. But seeing it on Tuesday should give @CasualCart and some others a shot at scoring big with 5 days practice. 

I have a theory on that, but I'd better wait until I can test it out.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You know everyone was just going to jump on YouTube and look it up anyway! 😂

If it had been that easy, I wouldn't bother to post it. Apparently they fixed that glitch with arcade machines. There is an article with a cool old letter that was issued to every arcade owner explaining that future dk arcade games would be fixed and current ones could be fixed with eproms for $125. Ill see if I can find it and post it. Im assuming you can't find much on it online since it was fixed on cabinets, so its unique to the nes game 

Edit: Here is the article - https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8m9n/donkey-kong-arcade-glitch-letter

Edited by NESfiend

22 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

If it had been that easy, I wouldn't bother to post it. Apparently they fixed that glitch with arcade machines. There is an article with a cool old letter that was issued to every arcade owner explaining that future dk arcade games would be fixed and current ones could be fixed with eproms for $125. Ill see if I can find it and post it. Im assuming you can't find much on it online since it was fixed on cabinets, so its unique to the nes game 

Edit: Here is the article - https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8m9n/donkey-kong-arcade-glitch-letter

I saw that article. That's yet another trick that works in the NES game, but it's different from the point glitch. If you climb up to the top of the ladder so only Mario's hand is over it, the barrels won't come down on top of you.

32 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

It sure feels like Wednesday in here... 😒

I figured the thread would be really active this week since the game is so popular. Born in 84, so the 90s NES is more my style. Didnt play arcade ports much. If I had been at a place with an actual arcade, would have walked right by dk briskly on the way to TMNT or something else involving fighting 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Wow! 1

42 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I figured the thread would be really active this week since the game is so popular. Born in 84, so the 90s NES is more my style. Didnt play arcade ports much. If I had been at a place with an actual arcade, would have walked right by dk briskly on the way to TMNT or something else involving fighting 

Darn '90s kids and your Pogs...

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2