IGNORED

Retrode 2 In Stock at Dragonbox - SNES/Gen/Game Boy/N64 ROM Dumper

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

From what I can see that bundle is all the addon they ever made for it?  I'm a little surprised there's not a NES/FC module.

I currently have a GB Operator that does GB C and A, but this looks tempting.  I like how with the GBO I can play my old gameboy carts on my computer.  I take it this is basically the same, also secondarily allowing for tampering/transfer of save data too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

From what I can see that bundle is all the addon they ever made for it?  I'm a little surprised there's not a NES/FC module.

I currently have a GB Operator that does GB C and A, but this looks tempting.  I like how with the GBO I can play my old gameboy carts on my computer.  I take it this is basically the same, also secondarily allowing for tampering/transfer of save data too.

Yep, you’re exactly right.

The likely reason for there not being an NES Retrode adapter is that it wouldn't be able to be plug and play like the other systems it supports are (for most games). For a few games for the systems it supports you have to edit the Retrode's config file in order to force it to use the correct ROM size or whatever. For NES games, you would have to do that for every single game, providing the mapper number, PRG ROM size, CHR ROM size, and save RAM size if there is any. And that's just to read the raw ROM data. If you want a dump that can play in an emulator or flash cart, you also need to provide all the information that's in the header format.

If you want to dump NES games, your best option is to build or buy a sanni cart reader, an open source Arduino project. That prompts you for mapper number, PRG ROM size, CHR ROM size, and save RAM size. You still have to add the header yourself after dumping.

Fair enough I know from experience trying to figure out mappers, how they work, and queuing them up as headers for .NES style roms as I had a hand in it in the 90s in a solid way.  I was hoping in times since maybe a way was simplified to pick off the data in a way a retrode could do it.

The device is tempting as I like my GB Operator the idea of using my legit cart on the computer is nice for its various features.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I could find a Neo Geo AES rom dumping tool. I have the original AES version of Blue's Journey that allows you to select difficulty at startup and Easy mode allows you to start with 3 hearts. Something the MAME rom (basically the MVS version, also used for later AES print runs) does not allow you to do. If I could I would make that rom and convert it to .neo for play on my Neo SD Pro.

I'm surprised the rom scene never shared that one when they did share all the versions of Magician Lord.

Edited by TheGameCollector

I have one of these with all the add-ons. I bought it eternity ago when it came out. I've sold almost all my video game collection (except SNES and NES).  I don't really have much use for this anymore. I'd probably be more than happy to sell (or trade) this.  I didn't know people were still interested in it so it's just been collecting dust upstairs.

IMG_1297.png

Edited by /usr/bin/brian

I guess that’s a great question.  The only thing I really collect is SNES CIB. Other than that I’d probably be willing to sell it for whatever the going rate is. 

I’d rather obtain some snes thing I don’t have than money if I’m honest about it. Im not trying to maximize my gain here, just figure if I can get something I want for something I’m not really in need of, I’d be happy to. 

Edited by /usr/bin/brian

• 1 year later...
On 1/14/2022 at 9:32 AM, /usr/bin/brian said:

I have one of these with all the add-ons. I bought it eternity ago when it came out. I've sold almost all my video game collection (except SNES and NES).  I don't really have much use for this anymore. I'd probably be more than happy to sell (or trade) this.  I didn't know people were still interested in it so it's just been collecting dust upstairs.

IMG_1297.png

@/usr/bin/brian im interested if you still have this. Also sorry everyone for the necro lol