IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

Wow when did Pokémon crystal become a $75 game?

Totally carzy, gold/silver sold 23.1 million copies (together), crystal sold 6.4. So there are about half as many copies out there of crystal then there are of silver, yet it goes for 3 times the price.

I mean, you do get catch a Celeby in crystal. But $70 for a Celeby?

This is one of these games that I know I'll eventually get, and I don't have even the slightest of fomo's for not buying it now. It's highly unlikely that a game that sold this well, and that has good alternatives, will ever go higher then that.

Here’s the buyer of $10k GTA and GOW. A German reaction Youtuber. He brings up @jonebone’s Wata to VGA DESCRIPTION GUIDE at one point (ie the guide that says “near mint” is 9.4 or 80+, NOT a grade translation, crazy!)

He also seems to know that the Pokemon Red variant matters a lot, yet still bids on God of War. Anyway it was all a rich guy doin’ it for them sweet views.

Edited by DefaultGen

I don't really get all the butthurt etc. on display in this thread, tbh.

You can call people ignorant for paying inflated prices for common games, or call the sellers assholes for inflating those prices, but ultimately there is a price the market will bear, and sales will trend toward that price. If someone wants to pay 30 bucks for Mario and Luigi, well that's the price.

Right now a bunch of people are at home with nothing to do but scroll ebay, they've got more disposable income because they aren't going out to eat at restaurants or going on vacation, and there's a bunch of free money floating around... Demand is currently outstripping supply, so prices increase...

You aren't owed a full set of games. You don't deserve a game today at yesterday's price, just because you remember what it cost yesterday and neglected to buy it. This is another case of managing your desire and sharing your toys, frankly.

Personally, I believe the market will absolutely drop again in the future for the bulk of this stuff, the cart onlys and commons. Once people start going outside again, once the covid checks dry up, and once the full impact of the economic losses and job losses start to mount, absolutely I believe supply will increase and demand will plummet again. I'd estimate we'll be seeing these sort of movements either late this year or early 2022, certainly within the next 18 months or so, depending on how much more free money is coming in and if people can start going back outside.

In the meantime, just keep you eye out for the deals that DO still crop up, focus on games you REALLY want and value at their current market prices, and maybe play a bit more instead of buying more for a while. Selling is always a good idea in this sort of market too, if that's something you do...

That's the luxury of actually being a genuine hobbiest in this scene rather than an "investor" or "bandwagoner", we're in it for the long haul, no need to wilt at short-term movements with external causes like what's happening at the moment. Keep your lip stiff and carry on ferchrissakes!!!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, OptOut said:

If someone wants to pay 30 bucks for Mario and Luigi, well that's the price.

I agree with everything you wrote except for this part. Really, it seems that the guy was just unaware of the prices and that the store owner took advantage of it. This is not like inflating prices on ebay where one types in a search and can see immediately that $30 is way too much for a loose copy of this game. After all, a ds game can cost $30, and it's not an unreasonable amount to pay for a game you want.

Sure, he could go and check the prices on ebay, but most people trust brick and mortar stores to be reasonable and fair with their costumers. It seems that the seller here just took advantage of this trust.

1 hour ago, sg17 said:

Sure, he could go and check the prices on ebay, but most people trust brick and mortar stores to be reasonable and fair with their costumers. It seems that the seller here just took advantage of this trust.

Eh, I mean, the dude saw that game, saw the price, and made the decision to buy it. So obviously it was the right price for him.

No one forced him to buy it and the seller is perfectly in their right to price their games however they wish. If they price their games too high, they will lose customers and either need to lower them or go out of business. If they can keep selling their games at high prices, well good luck to em frankly.

2 hours ago, sg17 said:

This is certainly a new take I haven't heard before. Ive never expected a store to be resonablr and fair just because they were brick and mortar. As a matter of fact I expect the opposite and am pleasantly surprised when one is resonable. Maybe it's because I was there for the boom on retro game stores that popped up in the 2012-2014 era and heard so many stories of these "resonable" places trying to tell you that tour box of stuff is only worth $50 when it contains a Little Samson or when they try to sell games for 3x the going rate on ebay. Yea, just because they have a building doesn't make them any more trustworthy than the random internet guy.

I have to agree with @OptOut it's all just market forces at work here when you get down to it

• Like 1

I guess you guys are right. In my country there are only two retro game stores, pretty small, located in non central area, and I think most their business is with regular costumers. So they have to be fair in order to keep their costumers. I guess if you have a store in a big city and most of your business is with one-time costumers, you can inflate prices and still keep the business going.

Prices are insane EVERYWHERE.  When will this bubble burst?  It has got to be close.  Stock market at record highs, retro games skyrocketing irrationally, US Government just printing money left and right....  heck even GameStop's stock, that is right GameStop, is seeing a HUGE increase.  I think it will hit $100 today.  Wasn't to long ago it was around $5.  Just madness all around.  When this bubble bursts it will be a hard and sharp fall back to reality.

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

Prices are insane EVERYWHERE.  When will this bubble burst?  It has got to be close.  Stock market at record highs, retro games skyrocketing irrationally, US Government just printing money left and right....  heck even GameStop's stock, that is right GameStop, is seeing a HUGE increase.  I think it will hit $100 today.  Wasn't to long ago it was around $5.  Just madness all around.  When this bubble bursts it will be a hard and sharp fall back to reality.

Maybe it will crash up ⬆️ like Venezuela 🤑🤑🤑

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Maybe it will crash up ⬆️ like Venezuela 🤑🤑🤑

Literally spit out laughing 

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

I'm salty for missing the $GME train, been riding $PLTR but it's not the same. 

I don't think everything is a bubble... I think what it is is that the economy is very uneven right now. Tech, collectibles, anything you can enjoy within the walls of your house is "undervalued" while hotels, cruise ships, restaurants are worthless. If the bubble bursts because we can all go outside again it will be more like a rebalancing... people will be selling off their stacks of games they bought during the pandemic to afford a long needed vacation or whatever. Zoom will be a stock to sell, not buy. Etc. etc. 

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I don't think everything is a bubble... I think what it is is that the economy is very uneven right now. Tech, collectibles, anything you can enjoy within the walls of your house is "undervalued" while hotels, cruise ships, restaurants are worthless. If the bubble bursts because we can all go outside again it will be more like a rebalancing... people will be selling off their stacks of games they bought during the pandemic to afford a long needed vacation or whatever. Zoom will be a stock to sell, not buy. Etc. etc. 

One observation I found interesting was on the discussion of velocity of money. It’s a measure of how many times money changes hands over a period of time, which in turn tells whether people are spending or saving. Right now money velocity in the US is half of what it was pre-pandemic.

Money velocity can have a huge effect on inflation. If people aren’t spending money, that correlates with a decrease in demand which causes prices to go down. When people are spending money, that corresponds to an increase in demand which causes prices to go up.

Maybe if you look at different sectors or avenues of where money can be spent we’ll different velocities of money in different categories of goods. Unfortunately, the overall velocity is just one number representative of the entire GDP. 

I wonder if velocity in many other things is down while peoples spending on video games has just moved along with the higher amount of money base like normal at pre-pandemic velocity. Maybe the prices that we are seeing in video games right now is the new normal and prices in other categories of goods just haven’t caught up yet. We will see when the overall money velocity returns back to pre-pandemic levels

Edited by phart010

These sales are still eye-popping to me for such a modern "random rare" with no significance. Surely there are many similarly rare undocumented oddities and variants on Wii, modern platforms are absolutely the wild west of poor documentation!

I wonder if the top bidders are nostalgic Wii fanatics in their 20s, or old man investors looking for the next Stadium Events?

e0eBAW4.png

Edited by DefaultGen

Ugh I never heard of this SEGA Fun Pack. Have you seen what similar GameCube bundles go for? These are grails for GameCube collectors:

BF5C8565-CA81-415B-8215-F79E6B002410.jpeg.2892011748b40e18267c1625f2cdcc1c.jpeg

So yeah I would say there are collectors assuming a similar Wii bundle will be similarly “rare” and sought after and would front run the market for it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Wallstreetbets is making it too easy. You can literally buy the next meme stock they are pumping (not OTM options, those are way too risky and where they are losing all their money IMO) and come out like a bandit. Already made a ton on GME, looking to do the same thing with BB.

Once again I didn't buy $GME and I regret it. 

Anyway, the Amiibo sub is full of people who paid up to $250 for the Sanrio card set and are now feeling remorse because a new print has been announced for North America: 

It's actually pretty crazy that this is getting a "reprint," of all the things to get it, this one was unexpected. Don't know why this made me think of this thread, but there you go. 
Edited by MiamiSlice

On 1/25/2021 at 4:06 AM, sg17 said:

I agree with everything you wrote except for this part. Really, it seems that the guy was just unaware of the prices and that the store owner took advantage of it. This is not like inflating prices on ebay where one types in a search and can see immediately that $30 is way too much for a loose copy of this game. After all, a ds game can cost $30, and it's not an unreasonable amount to pay for a game you want.

You're leaving out the "right now" factor.   It may have been worth it for him to pay the extra to have that game in his hands today.   Perhaps a road trip of some sort.

Likely the same reason the local chain tends to have gougey prices on Mario/Zelda/other popular stuff but normal to good prices on everything else.   They know that grandma with her grandson for the weekend will gladly pay extra.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 11:32 PM, DefaultGen said:

Here’s the buyer of $10k GTA and GOW. A German reaction Youtuber. He brings up @jonebone’s Wata to VGA DESCRIPTION GUIDE at one point (ie the guide that says “near mint” is 9.4 or 80+, NOT a grade translation, crazy!)

He also seems to know that the Pokemon Red variant matters a lot, yet still bids on God of War. Anyway it was all a rich guy doin’ it for them sweet views.

I currently refuse to pay ~$200 USD just to "upgrade" my CIB copy of Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary to a "sealed" sample. Simply because my copy is brand new regardless of the reason it was not sealed. 😩

As for the auctions he was doing... I will just point out those are examples on why I prefer to maintain my sanity, as opposed to acting like a "rich bitch" when it comes to me collecting anything. Prost! 🍺

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Dragon Quest Monsters 2 DS - $100

Rhythm Heaven Fever Wii - $100

Seems not long ago these were less than $20.

It’s like the $100 bill is the new $20 these days.

You're right, about all of that.  I could give you a nice list of Gameboy stuff and date it 2019, 2020, and 2021.  You'll see it coming from a slow increase into a damned roller coaster steep incline before one of those stomach tossing death drops.  I can't figure it, it's like making up for lost time ignoring certain systems for a long while by the sharks and it's sad.