IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I just bought a CIB left hand Mario for $75 which I think is rarer than that Contra 

I've actually seen quite a few of the "left Bros" SMB 3 since it became a thing. I'm still surprised that Contra went as high as it did given how beat up it was. The seller is pretty popular and her stuff usually does well. In the current environment, the prices you get seemed to be tied to your Instagram following.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 5/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, Gloves said:

Graded games specifically are starting to appeal to those outside of specifically game collectors on a wider basis I believe. WWF is a good example - plenty of WWF fans who aren't necessarily game collectors, but want a show piece for their collection of WWF Memorabilia. 

• Hulk Hogan on the cover?
    • Check
  • Presumed prestige on the item for being sealed up?
    • Check
  • Packaging looks nice? Looks fresh and minty?
    • Check
  • Original item from the correct time period? (i.e. not some flashback game, e.g. WWE Legends for the PS3)
    • Check

I think stuff like that, similar to comic book games, will start to bump prices on those specific items a bit more. Another example might be, say, action figure games, cartoon games, etc.. Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers on NES, along with the other cartoon games, will likely see even more price bumps due to the shows' mass appeal. 

That's just me thinking out loud about it though, I'm no professional with regard to keeping up to date on the grading/sale scene.

That does make some sense to me, but as a fan of wrestling and NES games, I wouldn't want a copy of that because it's awful.

Has anyone been watching this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-TOURNAMENT-FIGHTERS-NES-GAME-MIB-1993-factory-sealed-Ninja-Turtles-Konami/254609194093?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

No matter how successful I become, I can't see myself spending that much on a single video game.

21 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Has anyone been watching this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-TOURNAMENT-FIGHTERS-NES-GAME-MIB-1993-factory-sealed-Ninja-Turtles-Konami/254609194093?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

No matter how successful I become, I can't see myself spending that much on a single video game.

Maybe I should have bought one for $500 a year ago :V

6 hours ago, Trifecta said:

Same here. 🤨

I mean it is a gimmie that it came from Mirage Studio's collection. But without that certificate, guess what? It's just another sealed game. Plus the amount being asked is pretty much around the amount I spent trying to create a hobby! Within the past 6 of the last 8 years! So for me I'd rather have fun diversifying my collection than put it on something that only has monetary value when it is bundled with said certificate.

Edited by FenrirZero

8 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Maybe I should have bought one for $500 a year ago :V

Yeah I'm kicking myself for passing on the 85+ CJMarq had up about 2 or 2.5 years ago now.  Started around $1999 and was dropped by a hundred every month or so, think someone finally bit at $1699. 

On 6/7/2020 at 8:28 PM, Trifecta said:

The strange thing is I don't think the vast majority of people on this site would consider spending anywhere near 7500 for that game. Probably not even 2500 and its not for lack of resources or dedication to the hobby. This is a pretty hard-core bunch. Where do all these bidders come from? 

• 2 weeks later...

80% complete Gamecube set currently going for $14k ending in 5 minutes. No big boxes or bundles, including Pokemon Box being incomplete and 50+ missing manuals. Gamecube set has apparently doubled in less than 6 months. Wild.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324202662850

Edit: $14,600. Bad buy. If it was just some rich dude tossing money to the wind for a complete set, sure, but it's a barebones set to begin with and will require a bunch of work still to complete it. I don't see the value.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

80% complete Gamecube set currently going for $14k ending in 5 minutes. No big boxes or bundles, including Pokemon Box being incomplete and 50+ missing manuals. Gamecube set has apparently doubled in less than 6 months. Wild.

Edit: $14,600. Bad buy. If it was just some rich dude tossing money to the wind for a complete set, sure, but it's a barebones set to begin with and will require a bunch of work still to complete it. I don't see the value.

Based on the current and past auctions tlooks like they are getting out game collecting. The buyer probably didn’t want to deal with the surge in GameCube prices or tracking down 550+ games. 

Collecting sets becomes a drag along the way. The amount of time you put into it now you can’t get back. Bad buy but time is out most precious resource and that may have been a contributing  factor.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

Based on the current and past auctions tlooks like they are getting out game collecting. The buyer probably didn’t want to deal with the surge in GameCube prices or tracking down 550+ games. 

Collecting sets becomes a drag along the way. The amount of time you put into it now you can’t get back. Bad buy but time is out most precious resource and that may have been a contributing  factor.

Lot of people have a lot of money to play with right now. Short term trading on Robinhood have made many young people 3x, 4x, 6x, 8x even 10x their money

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 6:57 PM, DefaultGen said:

not sure what gamecube sets go for but its like 25 dollars a game, makes things super easy too if you want that type of thing, paying postage on 500 seperate games must be kind of annoying, I guess this was probably a pick up or something as well with how big it is? compared to the money been thrown on wata games doesn't seem like such a bad buy in the scale of things

This makes me angry for some reason. Putting “gradable” in the title because graded CIBs are a thing now. 

65386547-6FD5-4BBD-A39D-4EDD1433BB5D.thumb.png.970b96044c802db8ae8075eb223dc713.png

Also a complete Wii U set just hit over $3k in bids and the reserve wasn’t even met:

4150B5BB-BA83-46BD-816F-7CC98937C04A.thumb.jpeg.49ad473e6af0fb26190f927abd25a25b.jpeg

Reminds me of that not-even-complete nothing special GameCube set above. This one doesn’t have the Twilight Princess bundle, no Skylanders starter sets, no Xenoblade X SE, but the best part is it’s not even a full set anymore because Vblank just announced Retro City Rampage for Wii U. 

I know this kind of thing is nothing new but I don't understand how it just keeps happening. CIB Halo GOTY for $170. This is literally a $12 game. It has a Microsoft Store sticker on the front which is worthless because you can swap those cases with anything. I just want to know what's going through the buyer's brain and what they're going to do with this.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I know this kind of thing is nothing new but I don't understand how it just keeps happening. CIB Halo GOTY for $170. This is literally a $12 game. It has a Microsoft Store sticker on the front which is worthless because you can swap those cases with anything. I just want to know what's going through the buyer's brain and what they're going to do with this.

spacer.png

I need to hit up the $5 bin at the pawn shop so I can make a fortune off of these too.

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

spacer.png

You gotta remember grading a CIB is more expensive than Sealed and $50 to $75 at least. Someone is not turning $12 into $170 it's more like $60 or $80 to $150ish after fees. 

I agree that $170 is still ludicrous for that but it's not like the flipper is making a killing there. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, MiamiSlice said:

This makes me angry for some reason. Putting “gradable” in the title because graded CIBs are a thing now. 

65386547-6FD5-4BBD-A39D-4EDD1433BB5D.thumb.png.970b96044c802db8ae8075eb223dc713.png

Just start putting "Gradable" on all your home made repros. Instant profits!

I have like 5 of those NFR Halos from buying old games from Microsoft employees when I lived in Tacoma, Washington. I guarantee you can go on Cragslist for Seattle right now and find multiple copies buried in Xbox lots.

3 hours ago, Prime2099 said:

With that price on the Spider-Man repro, I might have to get my copy and the other three releases in that set graded and sold! Can't believe they are grading repros!

Make hay when the sun is shining dude!

I have absolutely no qualms with the people grading and selling this stuff, but what on earth is going through the minds of the BUYERS I have no idea tbh.

4 hours ago, Prime2099 said:

With that price on the Spider-Man repro, I might have to get my copy and the other three releases in that set graded and sold! Can't believe they are grading repros!

Remember, when you factor in shipping to and from plus the cost of grading, it's at least about $50-$75 to grade a CIB.  Take out $50 to $75 of those prices and it's not nearly as bad.