IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Goal! Two

BeaIank

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

C'mon @Estil!  I know you got an Everdrive. Get in here and play some futbol!  You know you wanna.

As a matter of fact I have eight (plus a ninth if that special PS1 at Stone Age Gamer ever shows up again)...the problem is I'm lacking the equipment to be able to post scores on here (you know, video capture cards, digicam, all that good stuff)...plus wouldn't using an Everdrive be invalid since most let you use Game Genie codes and/or save states?  No matter I do have most of the blue chip cartridges for each system (well NES/SNES anyway).

While we're on the subject of football (as the world except US/Canada call it), why does its clock go forwards?  Ironically I think it'd make more sense to do that for American football's overtime (if it's playoffs and thus unlimited) to record how much OT it took to win the game.  Obviously I'm referring to NFL...college's has an even more interesting OT format, which is like innings in baseball (and starting with the third *ahem* "extra inning", you must go for two on a TD).

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
24 minutes ago, Estil said:

As a matter of fact I have eight (plus a ninth if that special PS1 at Stone Age Gamer ever shows up again)...the problem is I'm lacking the equipment to be able to post scores on here (you know, video capture cards, digicam, all that good stuff)...plus wouldn't using an Everdrive be invalid since most let you use Game Genie codes and/or save states?  No matter I do have most of the blue chip cartridges for each system (well NES/SNES anyway).

While we're on the subject of football (as the world except US/Canada call it), why does its clock go forwards?  Ironically I think it'd make more sense to do that for American football's overtime (if it's playoffs and thus unlimited) to record how much OT it took to win the game.  Obviously I'm referring to NFL...college's has an even more interesting OT format, which is like innings in baseball (and starting with the third *ahem* "extra inning", you must go for two on a TD).

Jus take a picture on your phone with your user name written on a piece of paper. You don't need all that fancy shit. 

Everdrives/PowerPaks are welcome on the honor system.  Just don't use the genie or turbo controllers and you're good.

Also, always go for two!

Edited by JamesRobot

43 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Jus take a picture on your phone with your user name written on a piece of paper. You don't need all that fancy shit. 

Everdrives/PowerPaks are welcome on the honor system.  Just don't use the genie or turbo controllers and you're good.

Also, always go for two!

I guess I could just post my score on here...I mean I don't think there's any real prizes to win here (not that I'd stand a chance) so it's not like I'd have a reason not to be honest, right?

I guess I could give that Nintendo World Championships one a try...NO I don't have a real one!!!

6 hours ago, ninjistar said:

A little bit of soccer talk here... 

Kicking from the spot of the foul is the rule even though dribbling may make more sense. Ive played in indoor leagues that do it your way, but never outdoor.

I've been meaning to bring up fouls. Seems to me it's entirely random if/when a foul is called. That would be pretty consistent with real soccer. Is that right and has anyone seen a red card?

In game PKs - I've had 5 or so and gk saved them all. Has anyone made one? This feature seems even more BS than the rest of this game

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

Something strange has happened in that I’m actually enjoying this game and getting really good at it. It’s not nearly as broken as it seems at first. I never would have considered playing this if it wasn’t for the contests but I now see why it was chosen. Best soccer game released in North America? Ok maybe that’s not saying much. Some tips to succeed:

- Choose automatic for goalie in the options menu. Much easier to control than manual and generally does a good job blocking shots. If there is a deflection off your goalie press the A button repeatedly until you recover the ball. 

- Choose Control scheme 2 with the diagonal. I’m sure this is personal preference but it’s nice to have the player you’re controlling go in the direction you want as opposed to just diagonally up the field by pressing up. Choose control 2 and you won’t lose 8-0 in the first half. 

- Choose a team for yourself with a good goaltender and choose a team for the computer with a bad goaltender. They are all listed in the manual.  Italy has the best goalie in the league. Pick the computer to play as Mexico, USA, Japan or Canada. They tend to miss more shots on goal.

- Pretty much the only time I use the B button is when my goalie is clearing the ball. Walk as far as you can forward in your crease and then hold B and the direction you’re kicking it. If you hold it long enough you’ll kick the ball past half. If you time it correctly your player can head the ball off the kick. Just hit A when the ball is about to land but still in the air. 

-There are several ways to score. (A)You can hold the B button to kick the ball high in the air. This zooms the screen out and allows you time to position your player to head the ball or bicycle kick it. If you’re close enough to the net you can score. It’s all about positioning and where you’re shooting from. (B) You can score by doing a lobshot by holding B. If you’re coming diagonally at about a 45 degree angle you can lob the ball into the net. It’s tricky and seems to work better by putting some English on it (by using the D pad after the shot has been taken). (C) You can head the ball into the net directly from as the opposing goalie kicks it into play. Usually it’ll go over the net or hit the crossbar but if timed right you can score. (D) The most reliable way by far to score is to dribble the ball all the way up the field while avoiding the defenders and shoot it fro pretty straight on around the top of the semi circle. It will likely bounce off and if you’re other player is in the right spot you can kick it back in off the deflection. If you’re in the absolute sweet spot it’ll go right past the goalie for an easy one. I would say this is the key to getting a high score. Find the sweet spot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Kicking from the spot of the foul is the rule even though dribbling may make more sense. Ive played in indoor leagues that do it your way, but never outdoor.

I've been meaning to bring up fouls. Seems to me it's entirely random if/when a foul is called. That would be pretty consistent with real soccer. Is that right and has anyone seen a red card?

In game PKs - I've had 5 or so and gk saved them all. Has anyone made one? This feature seems even more BS than the rest of this game

In my experience a red card is only called if a player has a yellow card and gets another. It becomes red and he’s out of the game. Doesn’t happen much at all and the fouls seem random. 

As for penalty kicks...just try to win so you don’t get in that predicament. I tried 2-3 times on penalty kicks and got wrecked.

17 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

As for penalty kicks...just try to win so you don’t get in that predicament. I tried 2-3 times on penalty kicks and got wrecked.

This why I said "in game" pks. It's a different screen/scenario when a foul is called in the box during gameplay and you get a pk as opposed to pks when it ends in a tie. It doesn't go to the extra screen. It plays like any other free kick except no one is around but the keeper. Seems easy, but no matter where in the goal I have put it, gk saves it every time 

Edit: I think you plan on him blocking it and knocking in the rebound since gk never catches it. And no one else is in the box but you. Stupid I haven't capitalized

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

In my experience a red card is only called if a player has a yellow card and gets another. It becomes red and he’s out of the game. Doesn’t happen much at all and the fouls seem random. 

Nvm. I commented on the rules of soccer not this game, which is what your talking about. Disregard

Edited by Ausden

2 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

Something strange has happened in that I’m actually enjoying this game and getting really good at it. It’s not nearly as broken as it seems at first. I never would have considered playing this if it wasn’t for the contests but I now see why it was chosen. Best soccer game released in North America? Ok maybe that’s not saying much. Some tips to succeed:

[Tips...]

I feel the same here. To add onto your tips:

- Yes, definitely use the auto goalkeeper. I actually have never tried the manual one but I can't imagine it works better.
- I actually much prefer control scheme 1. I sometimes screw up the diagonals and the thing I find myself doing most is pressing up or down. So I might as well make those shot directly at the goal.
- I went through the entire roster for all teams (copied from gamefaqs), and added up all the scores. Italy does have the best goalkeeper, but Germany wasn't that much worse and had better stats for the other players. Similarly, Japan seemed to be the worst of the worst stat-wise. 
- There's also a way to take a shot at goal from just past the half line. Hold up and B, and the ball will go straight to the goal. The goalkeeper usually saves it but sometimes it goes in or bounces off and you can header it in.

Have you found a way to consistently make it rebound off the goalie? It seems like half the time the goalie just stops it in place

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Have you found a way to consistently make it rebound off the goalie? It seems like half the time the goalie just stops it in place

@Bearcat-Doug early advice to take shots from further out is right on. The closer you are to the keeper, the more likely he will catch it. As a former goalie, this feature is maddening and contrary to reality. Close shots have to go by him or its over. 

The problem is while your further away shots will get deflected, you are usually further away than a defender most of the time. So getting the rebound and scoring is rare, for me at least. I have more success tackling the guy who gets rebound and then having a 1-1 with the keeper. But tackles aren't reliable enough to execute that consistently. 

I have been using the 'sweeper' option because it give you 3 3 player sets up the field that stay mostly in the middle and a sweeper behind them. This makes it so that there is always a player in front of you in position if you kick straight forward with A. You can go the length of the field fast using A to pass 4 times and find yourself in the box a lot. 

Edit: as for this being the best soccer game, I like world cup better for the traditional soccer games. Tecmo Cup Soccer trumps all though. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

@Kid Dracula is updating his score without adding a new post. For anyone missing it, he and @0xDEAFC0DE are trading blows like tyson and mayweather. Deafcode throws up a crazy score of 11-0 and kid quietly responds with an updated score of 13-1. I've played this game a lot this week. Those scores are herculean and these guys still have 48 hours to work with. Keep the fight going! No sports on tv, but at least we got one hell of a competition going on the electronic soccer field. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

@Kid Dracula is updating his score without adding a new post. For anyone missing it, he and @0xDEAFC0DE are trading blows like tyson and mayweather. Deafcode throws up a crazy score of 11-0 and kid quietly responds with an updated score of 13-1. I've played this game a lot this week. Those scores are herculean and these guys still have 48 hours to work with. Keep the fight going! No sports on tv, but at least we got one hell of a competition going on the electronic soccer field. 

I probably would have been happy if I scored 5 goals. 10+ is really impressive.

11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I feel the fouls are called less than they should be, but I'm biased as they're not called against the other team and I'm face-first on the ground 😄 In one game, the opposing team was issued 5 yellow cards for fouls against me. That's crazy. They should simply get a red card after 3 yellows! haha. 

41 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

Am I supposed to post score updates? 14-0 last time I played!

Totally up to you. Not required. I just pointed it out because 2 big scores came one after another today. I hadn't noticed it was updated. 14-0 wow

Edit: Just updated mine to 6-0. 5 goals in 1st half. I cant score going down

Edited by NESfiend

2 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Ugh, I got a 15-1 just now which still loses to Kid Dracula. I was a 14-0 when I let a goal in too. 

Btw, @Kid Dracula are you finding it harder to score in the bottom goal? I went 6-1 that half in the last game and that's the best I've ever done. 

Crazy 2 people cleared the world record and both by quite a bit. With you on first half goals (going up). Ive thought that about SNES fifa games that use the same format for years. I'm dejected from 2nd half failures. Keep grinding! You are right there 

• Like 1

Oof, the dam was about to break on my last game -- ended up 4-0 but felt like it should have been 10-0. I guess the Japanese 'keeper was having a good night? Unfortunately I'm offline this weekend so I'll have to leave the record-setting to the rest of you. Really mind-blowing scores here, great work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Ugh, I got a 15-1 just now which still loses to Kid Dracula. I was a 14-0 when I let a goal in too. 

Btw, @Kid Dracula are you finding it harder to score in the bottom goal? I went 6-1 that half in the last game and that's the best I've ever done. 

I was finding it much harder to score on the bottom goal at first. Now I’ve found the sweet spot on both sides (right above the semicircle) and it’s been easier. Still scoring more upfield though.